Bob Dylan, "Spain's Prince of Asturias arts award"

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

Rvega

Bob Dylan, "Spain's Prince of Asturias arts award"

Post by Rvega »

I see Bob Dyaln was honored in Spain and called "A living legend of popular music" by Jose Llado Frernandez Urrutia, president of the prize's panel of judges. Bob Dylan (Robert Zimmerman) was born in the US in Duluth, Minn. I wonder if he has Asturian roots ?
It was mentined that this award is one of the country's most prestigious honors. I am curious about the award and that Asturias was chosen for recognizing this arts award.

Roberto Vega
Vitor

Post by Vitor »

Hi
You can find some info about the awards following this link
http://www.fundacionprincipedeasturias. ... index.html
The two first winners of this year are Americans, I wonder if Al Gore has Asturian roots too :D
Rvega

Post by Rvega »

Hello Vitor,

Not sure about his heritage. I researched the surname "Gore" and found it to be of French origin meaning, "an idle individual." Dosen't seem to fit....

I read somewhere that he has some fascination about the Aztec ???
Maybe there's a Spanish connection after all....

I see that former Vice President Al Gore won for his “decisive contribution to progress in solving the grave problems of climate change which threaten our planet.”

Yes, today it was 75 degrees and without global warming it would have been 74.999 ......

A little politics here ???

I also read that , Gore won the Prince of Asturias award for international cooperation, considered by some to be a warm-up for the Nobel Prizes, for which Gore is nominated this year in the peace category.

Hummm after all he invented the internet, right ???

Roberto
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

RVega wrote:I also read that , Gore won the Prince of Asturias award for international cooperation, considered by some to be a warm-up for the Nobel Prizes, for which Gore is nominated this year in the peace category.

Hummm after all he invented the internet, right ???
I assume, Roberto, that you don't really believe that Al Gore would claim he invented the internet. Just in case, here's an balanced analysis of what really happened:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

It disturbs me deeply that the political discussions we typically have in the US are so polarized and filled with falsehoods and meaningless talk.

When are we going to begin a mature discussion about the future we want for our nation?

(By the way, Snopes is a good resource for learning the truth or falsehood of all sorts of rumors.)

-----------------------------
RVega wrote:[trans. Art] También leo que Gore gané el premio del Príncipe de Asturias para cooperación internacional, considerada por algunos ser un calentamiento para los Premios Nobel, para los cuales Gore está nominado este año en la categoría de la paz.

¿Ummm, después de todos él inventó el internet, ¿no???
Asumo, Roberto, que realmente no crees que Al Gore demandaría que inventó el internet. Por si acaso, aquí está un análisis equilibrado sobre lo que realmente sucedió:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Me disturba profundamente que las discusiones políticas que tenemos típicamente en los EE.UU. son tan polarizado y llenado de falsedades y de comentarios sin sentido.

¿Cuándo vamos a comenzar una discusión madura sobre el futuro que deseamos para nuestra nación?

(A propósito, Snopes es un buen recurso para aprender la verdad o la falsedad de todas clases de rumores.)
Rvega

Post by Rvega »

OK I stand corrected by Snopes.com (I wonder what make them the ultimate authority ? ) ...
Let's assume their "In Part" posted paragraph is accurate, Gore said "he created the internet" not that he invented the internet.
Oh yes it's he, "took the initiative in inventing the internet."
My, my a debate over the words, created or invented....

Sorry Art but in my opinion it really wouldn't make a difference to me which one he used.

Let's face it he was politicion looking for votes and wanted to take credit in some fashion for the internet (a new buzz word at the time, 1999) with the expanding popularity of cheap home computers.

I like my polarized sunglasses, filtering to allow me to see things clearly....
Your right Art, what a great thought to eliminate falsehoods and meaningless talk in political discussions I'm all for it !

Mature political discussions .... when politicions say anything to get votes or as "Snopes.com" the good resource for learning the truth or falsehood of all sorts of rumors says, continue to use "silly political posturing" as Gore did, it's going to be difficult...
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'm sure that Snopes is capable of error, but they tend to look at questions in which there are facts (discernible truth) and then they make a judgment about the truth / untruth. I've seen Snopes come down in the middle when the facts are complex.

I think what it takes to be viewed as credible is being willing to take an unpopular stand when the facts don't support the common wisdom or a party line. That's something many of our politicians haven't learned yet and probably won't. In fact, most of us are unwilling to go against the flow, so it shouldn't surprise us that our politicians are just like us.

I think you're right that politicians tend to feel pushed to posture in disingenuous ways in order to curry favor with voters. We share the blame because we voters have rewarded politicians for such behavior and often punished the ones that told us the truth. It's ironic that we're so unhappy with our politicians: we created them!

As to the accuracy of Gore's statement, he really was out in front on the Internet. He has every right to take some credit for the internet. To be sure, his statement was a silly exaggeration and he made a poor choice of words, but he did push for the development of the web legislatively long before most of us (including his congressional colleagues) were even aware of it. That kind of vision, backed up by financial support (our tax dollars) was essential for its development. The people who did the actual work creating the Internet have stated that they appreciate Gore's long-term support, so I don't have any doubts about this.

The fact that some people continue to rag on Gore says much more about how strongly they're resisting change than anything about Gore.

Perhaps in a hundred years we'll view Gore as an unfairly maligned visionary. Yes, he's to blame for some of the negative opinion, but a lot of it is simply the human tendency to treat our visionaries poorly. When a new idea arises, in the common wisdom it's "crazy," and so is the visionary. Years later, when the same idea seems obvious and normal and we're happily enjoying the fruits of that idea, we forget that a few lonely visionaries were out in front and that *we* were the nay-sayers! Well, at least we humans are predictable.

It's interesting--and for me heart-warming--to hear Gore be so much more human, passionate, and eloquent in the past few years than he was during his presidential campaign. Had he had the nerve to speak from his heart then, would he be president today? I can remember people complaining about how boring he was. Attempting to be bland enough to get our votes didn't work.

Are we seeing some of the same behavior again in the new race? No doubt.

By the way, Gore's new book, The Assault on Reason, talks about these issues.
Rvega

Spain National Anthem

Post by Rvega »

Art, I can see your enamored with Gore. Your right I did find him boring and bland during his campaign. I guess fake comes to mind too. Maybe he has changed ?

I also think it cost him when he supported sending the little boy, Elian Gonzoles back to that dictator in Cuba it really cost him. He needed Florida and I believe the people of Florida with it's large Hispanic population, they did not forget. I'm wondering with the current immigration situation (Amnesty Bill) what his position would be ???

I hear he is setting back just waiting for the right time to jump in to the next presidential race.

OK, back on forum topic. I see that Spain is looking to put words to their national anthem. There were never any words and a recent article stated that the anthem was rarely played during the dictatorship of Gen Francisco Franco (1939-1975) but now it has re-emerged with the return of democracy. I haven't followed this very closely maybe it's been discussed already but wouldn't it be something if an Asturian put the words to the anthem !

Roberto Vega
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I think you're right that Gore has changed in a big way. His performance in 2000 election was lame and demoralizing. I wonder if perhaps he's in his element as an activist and wouldn't be as good as a politician even after having "seen the light."

I also wonder how many passionate pols there are? Ross Perot seemed to be genuinely passionate and that was probably why people were attracted to him. I may be hard to be a passionate politician because politics is all about negotiation and compromise. An overly passionate pol can't get anything done.

Say, Robert, it looks like you have slightly different political stances, doesn't it!?!

If you want, you could create a separate post about the Spanish national anthem. It'd get noticed more on its own, I think.

Return to “Music - Música”