Spelter, WV names - nomes de Spelter, Virginia Occidental

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Bob

Spelter, WV names - nomes de Spelter, Virginia Occidental

Post by Bob »

In searching through family documents after my father's recent death, I found a list of names of people from Spelter, WV. The handwriting is not that of parents, but may be that of my grandmother, who died in 1960.

Mauro Pérez
María Pivida (Privida?)
Ida Gonzalez
Aurora Vasquez
Mr. & Mrs. Angel Medina (Cuca)
María Mieres
Ramona Suarez
Ramón Zoyal
Vicenta Cueto
Carmela Menéndez
José Medina
Zalo Huerta
María Sabino
Ramón Muñiz
Florinda Menéndez
Andres Privales (Primales?)
Mauro Pérez
\Let me know if anyone recognizes any of the names.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Bob,

Mauro and Maria Perez, yes, I knew them. Ida Gonzalez was my mother, Aurora Vasquez my grandmother (my mother's mother), Mr & Mrs Angel Medina my Uncle and Aunt (Cuca was my dad's sister), Maria Mieres my other grandmother (my dad's mother). Ramon Suarez, I also knew that family. Camela & Jose Memendez, as a kid I lived two doors up from them. Jose Medina was the father of Angel Medina. Ramon Muniz, I also knew them. Florinda Menendez, I also knew that family. Eugenio & Maria (Pivida) Alvarez, yes, I also knew them.

There were so many Maria's that lived in Spelter at that time, that they gave the women names using the first name of the husband, like Maria Mauro, Maria Mieres, Maria Pivida, there were others; I just can't think of them now. As for the other names on the list, Zola Huerta, there was a Huerta family that lived in Spelter. I never heard the name Zalo I know what the Spanish people called her, the spelling of it is something else. Vicenta Cueto, there was a family Antone Cueto, but I don't know Vicenta. Maria Sabino, the name Sabino rings a bell, but don't know why I'll think about it. Andres Privales, I don't know that name.

Do you know what kind of a list it was, or why the list was made? I hope that I've helped you.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Ron,

I thought the names would be familiar to you. I have no idea why the list was made, other than to enumerate people from Spelter. I will send you a copy. Maybe the handwriting will be familiar to you: I donlt recognize it.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

How many families lived in Spelter when you were young, Ron?

-----------------------

¿Ron, cuántos familias vivían en Spelter cuando eras un niño?
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

There were about 300 or so families and, of the 300, I would say that around 100 more or less were Asturian. In the film AsturianUS, the black and white film of the singing, as will as the drum and bagpipe playing, we were a happy bunch who loved to have a good time. There were some people in that film whose names are on the list that Bob has. If I had three wishes, one would be that the immigrants who first settled in Spelter, as well as the ones that came after, could see the interest that the world has in there lives here. I can hear them now, "What did I do that could be so interesting? We were just a simple people." They are not here to say thank you for your interest, but I'm here to thank you for your interest in their lives. It was not an easy life.
is

Cuca

Post by is »

Bob--The name 'Cuca' jumped out at me when I read what you think might be your grandmother's handwritten list of Asturian names. That might have been a reference (nomatu/apodo) to the wife of Mr Medina. that is, a nick-name that is very typical in Asturian villages. If you ever visit an Asturian cemetery or read obituaries in the press, you will see regular people's names, followed by their nick-names in parenthesis. I've never seen that done elsewhere, and it might have to do with the fact that so many surnames in Asturias are similar.

For example, in Zardain (Tineu), there are plenty of people with regular names, except nobody would know who they are. That's why stonemasons and obit writers were/are compelled to add the Asturian 'nomatos': in the case of Zardain, I remember a 'Lulo' and an 'Anxelon'. People are also referenced by the house they are from: 'Nedina de Ca Xuacu' for example.

But back to your list, the usage of 'Cuca' rung a bell. The word 'cuco', 'cuca', 'cuquín' and 'cuquina' are endearing names that indicate affection. I've also overheard friends call the person pouring cider behind the bar at a sidreria call the person 'cuco', not sure if they knew the person or not, but it adds familiarity. It could be the American equivalent of 'cutie', 'cutie-pie', 'honey' and such.

Here is the Asturian dictionary definition of 'cuco' (http://mas.lne.es/diccionario/index.php?palabra=cucu), which might give you clues as to the character or physical qualities of Mrs Medina:

"cucu, a, o. <cuca [Cn (MG)].// cuco [Mánt].>

1. Bonito, gracioso [Pr]. 2. Despabilado, vivo [/Mánt/]. Sagaz, astuto, precavido [Ay. JH. Tor]. Avispado, prevenido [Tb]: Ya mui cucu [Tb]. 3. De dos años (la vaca destinada al matadero) [Cn (MG)].

Documentación literaria: Mas cuca que por San Xuan la cereza colorada [Enamoradoss Aldea 243]."
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks, Paul. You always have interesting information about words and their origins and meanings. I don't have a personal recollection of Cuca, but I do remember hearing the name, as well as such nicknames as Tano, Chon and Quack (Xuacu?). My grandmother was Josefa, but was always called Sena.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Is
We see the use of nicknames in obituaries in the local papers here all the time. Nicknames are very common for everyone here, and they do put the nickname on their headstone. On a visit to the cemetery here, you will see a large number of nicknames, not only Asturian but for all nationallties. My father was known as Lalo, I don't know where that came from. Have you ever heard that name?
is

Post by is »

I looked up 'Lalo' and came up with 'Ladislao'. Could that have been his given name?

Go to this page and scroll down the list of names after all the verb conjugations: http://worldlibrary.net/eBooks/Wordtheque/at/AAAAAC.TXT

It shows a pretty comprehensive listing of Asturian names and some of their 'nomatos' or nicknames. Most languages tend to abbreviate names and Russian is what I know best. Diminutives for 'Pavel' (Paul) in Russian can be 'Pasha', 'Pashka', 'Pashik' or just plain old 'Pash'.

But the departure from the person's given name in Asturias never ceases to amaze me. The nickname railroads over the given name and surname. Here are a few other Asturian male names with their 'nomatos':

Manuel: Mel, Nel
Nicolas: Colas
Alfonso: Fonsu
Ramon: Ramonin, Mon
Belarmo: Mino
Argimiro/Arximiru: Miro/Miru
Domingo: Mingo
Gregorio: Goyo
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Is
His given name was Bernardino
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Thinking about nicknames, I think it had something to do with the family. I can remember some. There was the familia de raposu, as well as the familia de gatu. Were did they come form? I guess we will never know.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I know of a woman nicknamed "Laly" whose real name is "Olaya." I wonder if that's related to the male form, "Lalo"? Or maybe it's related to "Manuel"?

Conozco de una mujer con el apodo de "Laly" quien se llama "Olaya". ¿Me pregunto si está relacionada con la forma masculina, "Lalo"? ¿O tal vez esté relacionado a "Manuel"?
Bob

Post by Bob »

"Olaya" is actually a very old female name derived from the Latin "Eulalia." The poem "Pleitu ente Uviéu y Mérida pola Poseción les Cenices de Santolalla" (The Litigation between Oviedo and Mérida for the Possession of the Remains of Saint Eulalia) was written in an older version of Asturian by Antón de Marireguera (1605- 1666?).

It starts off:
Cuandu examen les abeyes
y posen de flor en flor,
si les escorren s'espanten:
vanse y nun facen llabor,
dexando'l caxellu vieyu
pa buscar otru meyor.
Santa Olaya fo l'abeya
que de Mérida ensamó.
enfadada qu'adorasen
les fegures de llatón.
janice Schoffman

Maria Sabino

Post by janice Schoffman »

I think Maria Sabino was my grandmother, Mary Menendez, my grandfather's name was Jose Sabino Menendez, but I seem to have heard her called Maria Sabino. JA Schoffman
Terechu

Lalo

Post by Terechu »

I seem to have overlooked this thread in its day, so here's my two-cents' worth. The given name of the "Lalos" I know is in both cases "Eulalio".

Olaya is variant of Eulalia.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”