Asturian Fotos

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

fernandezjm

Asturian Fotos

Post by fernandezjm »

:D I very much enjoyed the photos of the Asturias area. My daughter and I are going to Spain specifically Gijon in October 2007. My husband's grandfather worked in the zinc mills in that area. My husband's father was born in the US but did spend some time in Spain as a youngster.

Joan Fernandez :D

----------------------
trans. Art

:D Gozó muchísimo de las fotos del área de Asturias. Mi hija y yo vamos a España específicamente Gijón en octubre de 2007. El abuelo de mi marido trabajó en las fábricas de cinc en esa área. El padre de mi marido nació en los EE.UU. pero pasó un rato en España cuando era joven.

Joan Fernandez :D
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Joan!

Are you going to visit your family there? Are you going to visit the site of the zinc factory at Arnao? That's where many of the Asturian-Americans worked.

Tell us about your trip when you get back.

--------------------

¡Bienvenida, Joan!

¿Vais a visitar la familia allí? ¿Vas a visitar el sitio de la fábrica de cinc en Arnao? Allí muchos de los astur-americanos trabajaron.

Dinos de tu viaje cuando regresáis.
fernandezjm

Post by fernandezjm »

Hola, Art,

We could have family in Gijon. My husband's grandfather died in Spain. I assume in that area. I would sure like to visit his grave site but I have no idea where he is buried.

I definitely plan on visiting the zinc factory at Arnao. I can only think that my grandfather in law worked there. From what I understand, he came over to Cherryvale, KS to work in the Edgar Zinc Smelter in Cherryvale, KS, perhaps in the early 1900's. We believe my father in law was born in Cherryvale although we have not been successful in finding any indication of that. When my father in law (Aurelio) was alive, he told us he was from Cherryvale, KS. One time he inquired about his birth from Vital Statistics in Topeka, KS. They have no record. He is not sure if he was born in 1904 or 1906.

When my husband, Joseph, was alive we visited Cherryvale and saw the site of the zinc smelter. We also saw the area called Smeltertown where the people coming from Spain lived when they came to work in the zinc factory.

While we were in Cherryvale, we think we found the grave of Joe's grandmother. However, no one seems able to comfirm anything.

Thank you for responding to my initial post.

Joan Fernandez :?

------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Hola Art:

Podríamos tener familia en Gijón. El abuelo de mi marido falleció en España, creo que en esa zona. Me gustaría visitar su tumba, pero no tengo ni idea de dónde está enterrado.

Por supuesto que tengo pensado visitar la fábrica de zinc de Arnao. Creo que mi suegro trabajó allí. Por lo que sé vino a Cherryvale (KS) a trabajar en la Edagar Zinc Smelter, quizás a principios de 1900. Creemos que mi suegro nació en Cherryvale auqnue no tenemos constancia de que haya sido así. Cuando mi suegro, Aurelio, vivía nos dijo que era de Cherryvale. En una ocasión indagó sobre su nacimiento en la Vital Statistics de Topeka (KS). Allí no tienen constancia. No estaba seguro de si había nacido en 1904 ó en 1906.

Cuando mi marido Joseph aún vivía visitamos Cherryvale y vimos la fábrica de zinc. También visitamos Smeltertown, el lugar donde vivían quienes llegaban de España a trabajar en la fábrica de zinc.

Creemos que durante nuestra estancia en Cherryvale encontramos la tumba de la abuela de Joe, aunque nadie ha podido confirmárnoslo.

Gracias por responder a mi post.

Joan Fernández
Art wrote:Welcome, Joan!

Are you going to visit your family there? Are you going to visit the site of the zinc factory at Arnao? That's where many of the Asturian-Americans worked.

Tell us about your trip when you get back.

--------------------

¡Bienvenida, Joan!

¿Vais a visitar la familia allí? ¿Vas a visitar el sitio de la fábrica de cinc en Arnao? Allí muchos de los astur-americanos trabajaron.

Dinos de tu viaje cuando regresáis.
Bob

Post by Bob »

My grandparents lived briefly in Cherryvale, about 1914 and my grandfather worked in the zinc factory. If you have photos to share, please post them. I have nothing but antique postcards.

When you visit Arnao, don't forget to visit the church of San Martin de Laspra. It has a very nice ventana preromanica and a beautiful bell tower, as well as three very distinctive altars. If it is not open, try about 5:00 p.m., which was when people gathered for the rosary. San Martin de Laspra is on the hill that turns into a cliff overlooking Arnao and Salinas. It's also worth driving to the edge of the cliff for the view.

Have you tried the local church for birth records?

-------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Mis abuelos viveron una temporada en Cherryvale, hacia 1914 y mi abuelo trabajó en la fábrica de zinc. Si tienes fotos para compartir cuélgalas, por favor. Yo sólo tengo postales antiguas.

Cuando visites Arnao no olvides visitar la iglesia de San Martín de Laspra. Tiene una bonita ventana prerrománica y un campanario precioso y tres altares. Si no está abierta prueba a las 17:00, cuando la gente se reúne para rezar el rosario. San Martín de Laspra está en una colina que da a un acantilado con vistas a Arnao y Salinas. También merece la pena llegar hasta el borde del acantilado para disfrutar de las vistas.

¿Has probado a buscar el certificado de nacimiento en la parroquia?
fernandezjm

Post by fernandezjm »

Hi Bob,

If you are speaking of the local church in Cherryvale, I did check there. At the time, they had a visiting priest and he did not know anything about the records. I am going to try the diocese Cherryvale is in.

I can't wait to get to Spain and see all of the sites you mentioned. I will definitely stop by San Martin.

Joan Fernandez

------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Hola Bob:
Si te refieres a la iglesia de Cherryvale, sí, probé. Por entonces tenían un cura que no sabía nada de los archivos. Probaré en la diócesis a la que pertenece Cherryvale.

Estoy impaciente por llegar a España y ver todos los sitios que me dices. Decididamente haré un alto en San Martín.

Joan Fernandez

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”