Dictionary example: La belleza del paisaje asturiano

Grammar & vocabulary, learning it, etc.<br>
Gramática y vocabulario, aprenderlo, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Dictionary example: La belleza del paisaje asturiano

Post by Art »

I wanted to be sure I was using the word "paisaje" correctly, so I looked it up in "the Pop-up Oxford Spanish Dictionary", which is a program for computers.

I was surprised and tickled to read, "...the beauty of the Asturian countryside o landscape...."

Of course!
The Pop-Up Oxford Spanish Dictionary wrote:paisaje
masculino
a
(panorama) landscape, scenery;

la belleza del paisaje asturiano
the beauty of the Asturian countryside o landscape;

el paisaje es agreste/boscoso
it is a rugged/wooded landscape

b
(Art) landscape
Deseé averiguar que utilizo la palabra "paisaje" correctamente, así que la busqué en "el Diccionario español pop-up de Oxford", que es un programa para la computadora.

Me sorprendió y me complacíó leer, "… la belleza del paisaje asturiano ….”

¡Claro!
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks, Art! What a nice surprise that the Oxford pop-up dictionary should consider citing the beauty of Asturian landscapes to define the word "paisaje". To me as an Asturian it would be an obvious choice, of course, but not too many people know our little corner of the world, and when it comes to landscapes, we are used to hearing about the beauty of the Alps, the French Riviera, Tuscanny or even the Grand Canyon, but in a Spanish dictionary they would be out of place. So, yes, Asturias deserves to be cited as having the most beautiful and overpowering landscapes of Spain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Gracias Art. Qué sorpresa tan agradable que los edtores del diccionario pop-up de Oxford hayan considerado la belleza de los paisajes asturianos para definir la palabra "paisaje". Para mí como asturiana esta elección sería obvia, por supuesto, pero no hay mucha gente que conozca este rincón del mundo, y en lo tocante a paisajes, estamos acostumbrados a la mención de la belleza de los Alpes, la Riviera francesa, la Toscana o el Cañón del Colorado, pero en un diccionario de español estarían fuera de lugar. De modo que, efectivamente, Asturias merece ser citada como la región con los paisajes más bellos y sobrecogedores de ESpaña.
Mafalda

El paisaje asturiano

Post by Mafalda »

En la Universidad de Oxford, tambien hay algun que otro asturiano...no siempre son ingleses los que hacen las entradas de los diccionarios y enciclopedias.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image

Return to “Castilian Spanish - Castellano”