My First Visit To Asturias

Restaurants, sights, lodging, festivals, etc.<br>
Restaurantes, lugares de interés, alojamiento, fiestas, etc.
Ron Gonzalez

My First Visit To Asturias

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

There are so many thing to say about my trip to Asturias its hard to find a place to start. I would like to thank the Asociación de Santa Maria del Mar. They had a reception to welcome us to Asturias. It was something that I'll never forget. I met the family of my father and my mother. I had met some on my mother's side, but never had met any on my dad's side until this trip.

On Sunday morning I attended mass at San Roman de Naveces, where my father was baptized. I also found the house where my grandmother lived. There were only stones to see, but it was still her home.

We went to Oviedo where my family lives. We also were in Avilés, as well as Gijón. In Gijón we met two very nice people: Terechu and Iván. We had lunch then walked around a beautiful city. I can see now why my grandparents were at home here. It is a lot like home in Asturias: the hills, the green grass. You could stop, get out of the car and look around; it could be West Virginia.

Three more people I must thank: Luis, Mari ,and Luis. What wonderful people they are. I look forward to seeing them again. I have been told for years, "Go to Asturias." I always said "some day." I wish that I had gone years ago. I will return next year. Asturias is a gorgeous land, and its people are beautiful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Trad. Terechu

Tengo tantas cosas que decir sobre mi viaje a Asturias que es difícil encontrar por donde empezar. Quisiera agradecer a la Asociación Santa María del Mar la fiesta de bienvenida a Asturias que nos dieron, es algo que jamás olvidaré. Conocí a la familia de mi padre y mi madre. Ya conocía a algunos por parte de mi madre, pero a nadie por parte de mi padre hasta este viaje.

El domingo por la mañana fuí a misa en San Román de Naveces, donde se bautizó mi padre. También encontré la casa donde vivió mi abuela, aunque sólo quedaban las piedras, pero seguía siendo la casa de mi abuela.

Fuimos a Oviedo, donde vive mi familia, estuvimos en Avilés y en Gijón. En Gijón conocimos a dos personas muy amables, Terechu e Iván, con los que comimos y paseamos por esa bella ciudad. Ahora entiendo por qué mis abuelos se sintieron como en casa aquí (en Virginia Occidental), es muy parecido a su tierra de Asturias con sus montes y prados verdes. Te podías bajar del coche y echar un vistazo y podría ser perfectamente Virginia Occ.

También tengo que dar las gracias a otras tres personas, Luis, Mari y Luis, que son una gente maravillosa y ya tengo ganas de volver a ver. Durante años me han dicho que fuera a Asturias y siempre decía que iría algún día. Ahora desearía haber ido hace años y voy a regresar el año que viene. Asturias es una tierra muy hermosa y su gente maravillosa.
Selina Gonzalez Williams

Post by Selina Gonzalez Williams »

Ron,
My mother grew up in Naveces, before coming to USA in 1950. What is the name of your family in Naveces?

------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Ron:

Mi madre se crió en Naveces antes de venir a los EE.UU. en 1950. ¿Cómo se llaman tus familiares de Naveces?
Selina
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

My grandfather was Dagio Vasquez; my grandmother was Aurora Arrojo Vasquez. That was on my mother's side. On my dad's side, my grandparents were Nicanor Gonzalez and Marie Gonzalez. Some of this family still live there. Did your mom know Lilo Gonzalez? if so, that's the family.

---------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Mis abuelos maternos eran Dagio Vasquez y Aurora Arrojo. Por parte de padre mis abuelos eran NIcanor Gonzalez y Marie Gonzalez. Alguno de estos parientes aún vive allí. ¿Conocía tu madre a Lilo Gonzalez? Si la respuesta es sí, esa es la familia.
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

Hi Ron,

I am Taborneda2003's brother...our mother grew up in Naveces. If you were coming from Santa Maria del Mar you would have to make a left at Casa Demitrio (the only store/bar in Naveces) and follow the road and when the road either goes straight or right you would have to make a right. My Mothers has was right at the turn. My mother still has 2 cousins that live in Naveces at el Molino.

My mother's house was called Casa Casilda and there was a house next door that belonged to Americans who I think were counsins and they lived somewhere in New Jersey. The house fell down many many years ago and there was just some stones left.

There is another family in Palmerton, PA also from Naveces. My mother was good friends with them her whole life. Their last name was Garcia.

I was wondering if your Grandmother's house was the one next to my Great Grnadmother's.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Hola Ron:

Soy el hermano de Taborneda2003... nuestra madre se crió en Naveces. Si llegas por Santa María del Mar tienes que girar a la izquierda en Casa Demetrio (el único bar/tienda de Naveces) y seguir la carretera. Cuando la carretera sigue recta o a la derecha hay que girar a la derecha. La casa de mi madre está a la vuelta. Dos primos de mi madre aún viven en Naveces, en el Molino.

La casa de mi madre se llamaba Casa Casilda y la casa de al lado pertenecía a unos americanos, que creo que eran primos y vivían e la zona de New Jersey. La casa se desplomó hace muchos años y sólo quedan algunas piedras.

Hay otra familia, en Palmerton (PA), de apellido Garcia, que también es de Naveces. Mi madre fue mi amiga suya durante toda su vida.

Me pregunto si la casa de tu abuela es la que estaba al lado de la de mi tatarabuela.
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)
Manuel A Gonzalez

My mother wants to know if your family lived in Naveces or San Adriano? Also, each house had a "mote" do you know the "mote" for your family's house? My mother was from Casa Casilda.

There was a Gonzalez family that they called the Manzanos??

----------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Mi madre quiere saber si tu familia vivía en Naveces o en San Adriano. Además, todas las casas tenían un mote. ¿Sabes el mote de la casa de tu familia? Mi madre era de Casa Casilda.

¿Había una familia, de apellido Gonzalez, a la que llamaban Manzanos?
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Manuel
If you walk up the road behind the church, you will come to a white house. Next to this house you will see the corners of a home that was once there. That is my grandmother's home. They lived in Naveces. My father's side still lives there.

-----------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Manuel:

Si subes la carretera que va por detrás de la iglesia llegas hasta una casa blanca. A su lado se ven las esquinas de una casa que hubo allí en su día. Ésa es la casa de mi abuela. Vivían en Naveces y la familia de mi padre aún vive allí.
Last edited by Ron Gonzalez on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manuel A Gonzalez

Ok

We are from the other side of the main road..

------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Vale.

Nosotros estamos al otro lado de la carretera general.
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Manual
I stopped at the Casa Demitrio and talked with Demetrio Alvarez Ruia. I was trying to find out more about my family. I told her that my uncle and aunt would visit Naveces and stayed some where nearby, but I didn't know where. She ask their names and I told her Anselmo and Mary Gonzalez. Would you believe she knew them?! They rented a room from her over the bar. If you drive down the road from the bar, there's a road on your right. Some of my family live up that road.

-------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Manuel:

Paré en Casa Demetrio y hablé con Demetrio Álvarez Ruia. Estaba intentanto averiguar más sobre mi familia. Le dije que mi tío y mi tía iban a visitar Naveces y que se quedarían por la zona, pero que no sabía dónde. Me preguntó sus nombres, y yo le dije que eran Anselmo y Mary Gonzalez. ¡¿Te puedes creer que les conocía?! Le alquilaron una habitación encima del bar. Si sigues la carretera en dirección a Santa María hay una carretera a la derecha. Alguno de mis familiares viven ahí.
Rodrig54

Naveces

Post by Rodrig54 »

Manuel,

The house you mentioned in your post, that fell down, belonged to two brothers - Jesus and Placido, who were uncles of my aunt Priscilla (Rodriguez) who lives in Flushing, NY. Only the horreo remained, and it was recently rebuilt by an architect who lives up the coast.

The house was on the main road just one finca away from Demitrio's, going towards the airport. There is a public fountain for cows just behind the property. The brothers died awhile back but have a niece on the main road (Trapa) named Esther and her daughter Patricia.

Almost till the day they died, they were out cutting hay and preparing haystacks for the winter. They sold the milk to the local Nestle cooperative.

Saludos

-------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Manuel:

La casa de la que hablas en tu post, la que se cayó, pertenecía a dos hermanos: Jesus y Placido, que eran tíos de mi tía Priscilla (Rodriguez), que vive en Flushing (NY). Sólo quedó en pie el hórreo, que hace poco fue restaurado por un arquitecto que vive en la costa.

La casa estaba en la carreta general, a sólo una finca del bar de Demetrio, en dirección al aeropuerto. Hay un abrevadero público justo detrás. Los hermanos fallecieron hace mucho tiempo pero tienen una sobrina que vive en la carretera general (Trapa), llamada Esther y su hija Patricia.

Casi hasta el día de su muerte salían a segar heno y preparar balagares para el invierno. Vendían leche a la cooperativa local de Nestle.

Saludos.
Don Pe$ka

Post by Don Pe$ka »

Me emociona como hablais de vuestra tierra ...
*** La ExPrEsIóN dEl BuEn GuStO ***
Image [img]
Manuel A Gonzalez

Actually they house I am talking about is different. If you came from Santa Maria del Mar and made a left at Casa Demitrio and followed the road for about 1 mile then turned right to go to the molina or to the road that went to Alto San Adriano. It is the house on the right after the right turn. The family who owned the house used to live in Patterson NJ and I think they are cousins of my mother.

------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

La casa de la que hablo es otra. Si vienes de Santa María del Mar y giras a la izquierda en Casa Demetrio y sigues recto como 1,5km, girando después para ir al Molino o la carretera al Alto San adriano. Es la casa que está justo después del desvío a la derecha. Los propietarios de la casa vivían en Patterson (NJ) y creo que eran primos de mi madre.
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

This is a photo of the Associacion Santa Maria del Mar .Thank you again one of the many high points of my visit

----------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Esta es una foto de la Asociación Santa María del Mar. Gracias una vez más. Uno de los mejores momentos durante mi visita.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

A mother of immigrant waves goodbye to her children. She is standing in Gijon, a proud Asturian mother.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Una madre de inmigrantes se despide de sus hijos. Está en Gijón, una madre asturiana orgullosa.
jbarbo

Asociasion de Santa Maria del Mar

Post by jbarbo »

Bob,
It appears that you had a wonderful trip to Asturias. Does the Asociación de Santa Maria del Mar have any records of the names of the workers from Arnao 1900-1916? My great-grandfather and his brother lived in Santa Maria del Mar 1892-1897 and worked in Arnao. I hope that you went to the registro civil for family documents.
Jim Barbo

--------------------

Bob (Ron),

Parece que tuviste un viaje estupendo a Asturias. ¿Tiene la Asociación de Santa María del Mar algún registro con los nombres de los trabajadores de Arnao entre 1900-1916? Mi bisabuelo y su hermano vivieron en Santa María del Mar entre 1892-1897 y trabajaron en Arnao. Espero que acudieras al Registro Civil por documentos familiares.
Jim Barbo
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Jbarbo
There is a book called Las Escuelas Del Ave Maria De Arnao, by Esther Garcia Lopez. It's all about the school. The above photo is the coal mine that supplied Arnao with coal.

----------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Jbarbo:

Hay un libro de Esther García López titulado Las Escuelas del Ave María de Arnao. Trata sobre la escuela. La foto es de la mina de carbón que abastecía a Arnao.

Return to “Travel - Viajar”