My First Visit To Asturias

Restaurants, sights, lodging, festivals, etc.<br>
Restaurantes, lugares de interés, alojamiento, fiestas, etc.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

jbarbo
Cudillero is one of my favorite also

---------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

jbarbo
Cudillero también es uno de mis sitios preferidos.
charles suarez

Post by charles suarez »

ron,
my grandmother was from naveces. they lived at the molino,which is called 'la siega'. they went by the apellido of cueto. carmen my abuela married manuel suarez ,from salas, at san adriano. they emigrated to the u.s. around 1914.
we still have relatives living in 'la siega', as well as in'las sepas' along the camin that leads to el molino.
on my first trip to naveces the molino was still in use(1969). also in those days the neighboring women would use the 'rio' to wash their clothing.
my abuelas' sister pepina (josefina) was still alive. her neice,covadonga, and her
daughter maria esther along with her husband manolo,lived there and worked the farm.
we have visited several times, the latest in 2005. we are planning a return visit soon.
things have changed much over the 40 years since my first visit,but one thing that will never change is the way they treat you. you are truelly family.
me siento en casa each time we visit.
charlie suarez
taborneda2003

Post by taborneda2003 »

Hi Charlie,
My mother is from Naveces. She is 85. She has been in the US since 1950. She knows your relatives very well. They lived next door to two cousin's of hers. Both cousins still live in the same house. If I can find pictures from last year I can send them to you. Did one of your relatives own a zapateria in Aviles?
Selina Williams
charles suarez

naveces/el molino/la siega

Post by charles suarez »

selina,
there are three homes that comprise 'la siega'. my relatives' house stands alone, the other two share a common wall. one is owned by a elderly viuda,named rosa, the other, which was part of the original molino was owned by fernando and his wife ana.
we have no relatives that lived in aviles until recently. remember my recollections and knowledge start with the late 60s and early 70s.
my relatives at la siega were my bistia josefina cueto(soltera),herneice,covadonga(viuda)and her daughter,maria esther.
covadonga had brothers ramon cueto,who was married to alicia,and manolo,who was married to africa, and a sister,marina.
ramon emigrated briefly to cuba,but returned and worked for el corte ingles,eventually settling in madrid.
manolo worked in arnao at the zinc plant and lived in san juan de las nieves.
covadonga lived at the old homestead with her daughter ma. esther and her husband manolo and three children ramon, manolo, and avelino. she also had another daughter ma.antonia but she lives in la lloba.
it would be nice to hear more from your mother about my relatives and naveces. we have very little knowledge of them prior to 1969, only occasional letters and photos. once my grandparents emmigrated they never returned to asturiasnor did any other family members visit.
it would be precious to hear anything about them.
muchisimas gracias
taborneda2003

Post by taborneda2003 »

Rosa and Fernando are my mother's cousins.I saw them both last October 2009. I am not sure if Rosita is still alive. She was being cared for by one of your family members. I was in Spain this past August, but did not have time to visit either one. I will show my mom your post later today. I will write down what she remembers and send the info. She lived in Naveces from 1932 -1950. The house she grew up in was called Casa Casilda. She still has many friends in Naveces, but everytime she goes another one has died.
Selina Williams
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Charles,
I hope to return to Naveces next year, and you are so right that they treat you like the family that you are. After my last trip to Asturias, it was clear to me why there was so much love in my grandmother's heart: they (we) are a caring, and loving people.
taborneda2003

Post by taborneda2003 »

Ron.
Are you related to the Garcia family that lived across the road?
I sshowed my mother what is left of your house, she remembers it.
Selina
Selina Williams
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

As far as I know, no we are not. My family on my father's side also lived in Naveces not too far from the church where my father was baptized.

Return to “Travel - Viajar”