Gonzalez and Muniz Families from Anmoore

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

cunningp

Gonzalez and Muniz Families from Anmoore

Post by cunningp »

Hi my name is Patricia Muniz Cunningham, and I am in the process of tracing my family's history. I am very new to genealogy and am finding the process a little overwhelming. I'm hoping to find some relatives who will be able to fill in the blanks and share in the history!

On the Gonzalez side - My great grandparents were Manuel Gonzalez and Consuelo Gonzalez. Manuel was born in or around 1878 and Consuelo (Rodriguez) was born around 1890. They had 8 children. I am hoping to find more information about them and hopefully my great great grandparents in Asturias. Consuelo was born Consuelo Rodriguez and her death record indicates her parents to be Andrew and Ygnacia Rodriguez. Manuel's parents names were Andres Gonzalez and Josefa Vega.

On the Muniz side - My great grandparents were Manuel Muniz (Born 1870) and Virginia Vasquez (Born 1880). They were also from Asturias and moved to Anmoore where they raised 6 children. According to Manuel's death record, his parents are listed as Francisco Muniz and Francesca Vasquez. Unfortunately I have no information on Virginia's parents.

Any help is appreciated....thank you!

Patty

----------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Hola:

Mi nombre es Patricia Muniz Cunningham y estoy confeccionando mi árbol genealógico. Soy una recién llegada al mundo de la genealogía y estoy un poco abrumada. ¡Espero encontrar a algunos familiares que llenen los huecos en blanco y compartir historias!

Por parte de los Gonzalez: Mis bisabuelos eran Manuel Gonzalez y Consuelo Gonzalez. Manuel nació en o hacia 1878 y Consuelo (Rodríguez) hacia 1890. Tuvieron 8 hijos. Espero encontrar más información sobre ellos y mis tatarabuelos en Asturias. El apellido de soltera de Consuelo era Rodríguez y según su certificado de defunción era hija de Andrew e Ygnacia Rodriguez. Los padres de Manuel eran Andres Gonzlaez y Josefa Vega.

Por parte de los Muniz: Mis bisabuelos eran Manuel Muniz (nacido en 1870) y Virginia Vasquez (nacida en 1880). También eran asturianos y se trasladaron a Anmoore, donde criaron a sus 6 hijos. Según consta en su certificado de defunción, Manuel era hijo de Francisco Muniz y Francisca Vasquez. Desgraciadamente no dispongo de información sobre los padres de Virginia.

Cualquier ayuda será bienvenida… ¡Gracias!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hi Patty
Do you know the names of the children on the Muniz side ?

-----------------------------------------------

Hola Patty:

¿Sabes los nombres de los hijos por parte de los Muniz?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Do you know your grandparents'places or parishes of birth? The registro civil started about 1871, but you have to know which one to write to. Registro civil searches are free, but it is best to write in Spanish.

What do your oldest living relatives have to say about the locations in Asturias where you grandparents were born? The memories of family members can be a good source of information

Many parish records have also been kept locally, rather having been transferred to the diocesan offices. If you can identify the parish, the priest may or may not be willing to search the archives (and may or may not have time to do so). In my experience, there is usually no charge for this, but a modest donation to the parish can't hurt. Unfortunately, some records, both civil and religious, were destroyed durring the guerra civil.

The Ellis Island records may list town of origin, which is quite likely to be the same as the place of birth.

Given your WV location, if your grandfather worked in the zinc smelter at Spelter, I would start the search in Castrillon (the sinc smelter was at Arnau) unless I had better information concerning their places of origin.

----------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

¿Sabes dónde o en qué parroquias nacieron tus bisabuelos? El registro civil comenzó en 1871, pero tienes que saber a cuál dirigirte. Las búsquedas en el registro civil son gratuitas, pero es mejor escribir en español.

¿Qué te pueden contar tus familiares más mayores sobre los lugares de Asturias dónde nacieron tus bisabuelos? Los recuerdos de los miembros de la familia pueden ser una buena fuente de información.

Muchos registros de las parroquias se han llevado de forma local en lugar de transferirlos a las oficinas diocesanas. Si eres capaz de identificar la parroquia, el cura puede o no buscar en los archivos (y puede que tenga tiempo o no para hacerlo). Por propia experiencia sé que, por lo general, esta búsqueda no tiene ningún coste, pero una módica donación a la parroquia no hace ningún mal. Desgraciadamente, algunos archivos (tanto civiles como religiosos) fueron destruidos durante la guerra civil.

Los archivos de Ellis Island especifican la ciudad de origen, que por lo general suele coincidir con el lugar de nacimiento.

Dado que vives en WV, si tu abuelo trabajaba en la fábrica de zinc en Spelter, empezaría mi búsqueda en Castrillón (la fábrica de zinc estaba en Arnau), a menos que tuviera más información en cuanto a su localidad de origen.
cunningp

Post by cunningp »

Hi Ron! The Muniz children are: James (my grandfather), John, Constantine, Sophia, Mary, and Adella. I believe my great aunt Sophie was the only one to remain in Anmoore.

Hi Bob! Unfortunately I have no information when it comes to my great grandparents lives in Asturias. I have been told they are from Aviles, but I really can't be certain. I wish I had started this journey earlier so I could have asked my grandparents more questions. I am going to be visiting with my great aunt this spring so I'm hoping to get more information from her. When I talked with her on the phone it didn't sound promising. She said her parents didn't talk about their families back in Spain. If I learn anything new I'll be sure post it here.

Thank you both for your replies!

------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

¡Hola Ron!

Los hijos de los Muniz fueron: James (mi abuelo), John, Constantine, Sophia, Mary y Adella. Creo que mi tía abuela Sophie es la única que se quedó en Anmoore.

¡Hola Bob!

Desgraciadamente no tengo información sobre mis tatarabuelos asturianos. Me han dicho que eran de Avilés, pero no estoy segura. Ojalá hubiera emprendido este viaje antes, para poder haberles preguntado más cosas a mis abuelos. Esta primavera visitaré a mi tía abuela, así que espero obtener más información. Cuando hablé con ella por teléfono no me pareció muy prometedor. Me dijo que sus padres no hablaban sobre su familia en España. Si me entero de algo más lo pondré aquí.

¡Gracias por vuestras respuestas!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Patty
Your aunt Sophia I remember well she would come to Spelter to visit my grandmother Aurora Arrojo Vasquez. I was young then and never asked about the family ties but ,I do know they were related so how. Sophia is no longer with us but she has a son who lives in Pa ,I don't know his name .

------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Patty:

Recuerdo bien a tu tía Sophia de cuando venía a Spelter a visitar a mi abuela Aurora Arrojo Vasquez. Por entonces era joven y nunca pregunté por los parentescos, pero sé que eran familia. Sophia ya no está entre nosotros pero su hijo vive en Pa, aunque no sé cómo se llama.
cunningp

Post by cunningp »

Ron,

How wonderful that you knew my great aunt Sophie! I do know the family member you are referring to - he is actually Sophie's nephew and my uncle. Thank you for your help! I'm really enjoying learning about my family's history though it makes me miss those that aren't here anymore. Regards, Patty

-------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Ron:

¡Qué bueno que conocieras a mi tía abuela Sophie! Sé a que miembro de mi familia te refieres: de hecho es el sobrino de Sophie, mi tío. ¡Gracias por tu ayuda! Me encanta aprender cosas nuevas de la historia de mi familia, a pesar de que me hace añorar a todos aquellos que ya no están con nostros.

Saludos.
Ken Menendez

Post by Ken Menendez »

Patty, I received your e-mail and will provide you with pictures of Andres Gonzalez and his wife Josefa Vega, my great-grandparents, your great-great grandparents. Andres came to the USA, but returned to Spain to be with his wife Josefa and their daughter, Audlia, who was blind. The other Gonzalez children, to include my grandmother, Carmen Gonzalez Menendez, migrated to the USA. Manuel, my great-uncle, your great-grandfather, came via Cuba, as I understand it, and was known in the Spelter/Anmore area as "el cubano".

I have been working on the family tree, but have hit lots of snags, with birth and death records in Spain. Carmen's remaining children, Joe and Frank Menendez, live in Spelter; however, their family memories are not as sharp as I would like for obtaining any information. Another great aunt, Margaret Salentro, lives in Erie (near Spelter). I believe she is the daughter of Leopoldo, one of Andres children. I have been wanting to get in touch with her for family information.

My grandmother, Carmen, was born in Piedas Blancas, Asturias, Spain. The other children of Andres and Josefa were Leopoldo, Bernardo, Jose, Manuel, Frank, Adulia, Romana, Cocha, Rafaela, and Virginia. I am listing these names here in hopes others my recognize the names and help us develop the family tree.

best regards,

Ken

I am looking forward to sharing family information with you.

-----------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Patty,

Recibí tu mail. Te voy a enviar fotos de Andres Gonzalez y su esposa Josefa Vega, mis bisabuelos, tus tatarabuelos. Andres vino a EE.UU., pero regresó a España para estar con su esposa Josefa y su hija Audlia, que era ciega. Los otros hijos Gonzalez, incluida mi abuela – Carmen Gonzalez Menendez – emigraron a los EE.UU. Manuel, mi tío abuelo, tu bisabuelo, llegó, según tengo entendido, via Cuba y en la zona de Spelter/Anmore se le conocía como “el cubano”.

He estado confeccionando el árbol genealógico de la familia, pero me he encontrado muchos escollos con actas de nacimiento y certificados de defunción en España. Los hijos que de Carmen que aún viven, Joe y Frank, residen en Spelter; sin embargo, sus recuerdos de la familia no son tan nítidos como me gustaría para obtener más información. Otra tía abuela, Margaret Salentro, vive en Erie (cerca de Spelter). Creo que es hija de Leopoldo, uno de los hijos de Andres. Querría ponerme en contacto con ella para conseguir más información.

Carmen, mi abuela, nació en Piedras Blancas, Asturias. Los demás hijos de Andres y Josefa eran Leopoldo, Bernardo, Jose, Manuel, Frank, Adulia, Romana, Concha, Rafaela y Virginia. Enumero estos nombres aquí con la esperanza de que alguien los reconozca y nos ayude a continuar con nuestro árbol familiar.

Saludos cordiales,

Ken

Estoy deseando compartir la información de la familia contigo.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ken, you may also want to check the spelling "Obdulia" for "Adulia". AT least that was the spelling used in my family.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ken:

Quizás debieras comprobar la ortografía de "Obdulia" por "Adulia". Al menos así era como se deletreaba en mi familia.
cunningp

Post by cunningp »

Ken,

Thanks so much for this information - it's so helpful! I'm going to e-mail you the link to the family tree I'm creating at Ancestry. It has all of the Gonzalez info I have to date. P

--------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Ken:

Muchísimas gracias por la información. ¡Ha sido de gran ayuda! Voy a enviarte por mail el enlace al árbol genealógico que estoy haciendo en Ancestry. Tiene toda la información sobre los Gonzalez de que dispongo hasta la fecha.
jbarbo

Family friends.

Post by jbarbo »

Patty,
My family also came from Asturias and lived in Anmoore, WV. The Barbao's were very good friends with Manuel and Virginia Muniz and family. My great grandfather Tomas Barbao Gonzalez's "Best Men" at his marriage in Asturias (Parrish San Miguel de Quilono) were Manuel Muniz and Antonio Cueto. From the stories that my uncle Emil Barbao told me, Manuel and Tomas worked together in the zinc mill in Arnao and Anmoore. I will try to find more information. Good luck with your ancestry quest. Please read some of my posts.

-------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Patty:

Mi familia también proviene de Asturias y vivía en Anmoore, WV. Los Barbao eran muy amigos de Manuel y Virginia Muniz. Los testigos de la boda de mi bisabuelo Tomas Barbao Gonzalez, celebrada en Asturias, en la parroquia de San Miguel de Quiloño, fueron Manuel Muniz y Antonio Cueto. Entre las historias que mi tío Emil Barbao me contó, Manuel y Tomas trabajaron juntos en la fábrica de zinc de Arnao y Anmoore. Intentaré conseguir más información. Buena suerte con tu búsqueda. Lee algunos de mis posts, por favor.
Jim Muniz

Post by Jim Muniz »

Patty,

I believe Ron is referring to Sophie's son, Charles. I think he lives in New Jersey.

----------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Patty:

Creo que Ron habla de Charles, el hijo de Sophie. Creo que vive en New Jersey.
cunningp

Post by cunningp »

jbarbo - thanks so much for your post! I look forward to hearing more stories about Manuel and Virginia. Also, thanks for giving me another avenue to search. I will take a look at your posts!

P

-----------------------------------------------------------

jbarbo:

¡Muchísimas gracias por tu post! Estoy deseando oir más anécdotas sobre Manuel y Virginia. Gracias también por abrirme otro camino para mi búsqueda. Le echaré un vistazo a tus posts.
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

El Archivo Diocesano de Oviedo, conserva libros de bautizados y casados de la parroquia de San Miguel de Quiloño, desde año 1646 y 1647

The Diocesan Archive of Oviedo, preserves books of baptized and married of the parish of San Miguel de Quiloño, since 1646 and 1647
Last edited by Jasm on Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasm

Post by Jasm »

En el reclutamiento de 1897 para el servicio militar, fue declarado prófugo de quintas, en el concejo de Castrillón, Manuel González Vega, hijo de Andrés y Josefa, natural de la parroquia de San Miguel de Quiloño, en Archivo Histórico Diocesano de Oviedo, se conservan libros de bautizados de dicha parroquia desde 1646 a 1852, casados hasta 1901.
Se iba al servicio militar con 19 años.

In the 1897 recruitment for military service, Manuel González Vega, was declared a fugitive of quintas (military service) in the council of Castrillón, son of Andrés and Josefa, a native of the parish of San Miguel de Quiloño, in the Diocesan Historical Archive of Oviedo, there are conserved baptized books of said parish from 1646 to 1852, married until 1901.
He was leaving for military service at the age of 19.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”