Mejillones con la salsa de Sidra

Recipes for fish, shellfish, etc.<br>
Recetas para pescados, mariscos, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Eric Smith Fernandez

Mejillones con la salsa de Sidra

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

¿Alguién tiene una receta del plato que mentioné arriba?

--------------------------------

Does anyone have a recipe for the above mentioned dish?
is

mexillones salsa verde

Post by is »

I don't have a recipe for mussels with cider (mexillones a la sidra). But my mother has taught me how to make delicious mussels 'a la salsa verde'.

I bought 1kg of mussels at a local fishmonger's. Rinse the mussels under the tap and place them in a big pot. Set the burner or electric pad at high, with no water, and wait about 3-5 minutes for them to open up. When they open up they release a great deal of water.

Do NOT, EVER throw that water out! I was about to do just that when my mother shrieked as if the house were burning down. That water serves as a base for the salsa verde. Pass it through a fine collander to get the sand and other particles out, and save.

Meanwhile, de-beard the mussels, i.e. 'quita-ys la barba a los mexillones'. Tug at the wires and rip them off the body of the mussel and toss. Place the mussels in a bowl.

Get out your skillet or frying pan. Chop some onion and garlic and parsley into the skillet with olive oil. Add a half chile pepper to give it a kick. Simmer until golden. Then add the cloudy water released by the mussels (not all of it, though), 1 cup of white wine and the mussels themselves. Reduce.

The sauce will have a greenish color from the parsley, which is why I suppose it's called salsa verde. This is an easy dish for amateurs like myself. The question is where the heck you find mussels in Illinois?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Sounds delcious. The key to getting really good seafood, in my opinion, is to become a regular customer of a fish market rather than a supermarket. They will then special order items for you. Here in New Haven, I have no trouble routinely finding fresh, plump, already debearded mussels from the Maritimes, cockles from New Zealand (less than 48 hours after they were gathered), Manila clams, day boat fish (caught that day rather than stored on ice for days or weeks), skate wings, pixin, fine merluza and other delicacies. In Rockport, I usually can find out who trapped my lobsters and when, which ship brought in the swordfish, etc.

The best sushi restaurant I have ever experienced, Lat 43, just opened in Gloucester a few months back, a few hundred feet from the big fish auction places. Architecturally a gorgeous space, and right on the working waterfront.

I can't ship any of this to the midwest, but if you come to visit you won't lack for good seafood or chorizos.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

In the Baltimore-Washington region there are several large Asian markets run by Korens. They have a very good selection of fresh and frozen seafood, as well as hard-to-find produce, rabbit, duck, ham hocks, etc.

-------------------

En la zona de Baltimore-Washington hay algunos grandes mercados asiáticos operados por ocoreanos. Tienen una selección de pecado y mariscos frescos y congelados, además de verduras y frutas que son difíciles encontrar, conejo, pato, corvejón de cerdo [¿Cómo se dice "ham hocks"?], etc.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

I haven't checked yet, but just across the Mississippi in St. Louis there is a place called Soulard Market. It is supposed to be a famous fish market. I only know it is famous for Mardi Gras. The second largest in the country. I've never been, though. I don't care for "frolicing" with all the drunks.

Here is a link to their website: http://www.soulardmarket.com/

------------------------------------------------
Todavía no he investigado, pero en el otro lado del río mississippi allá en st. louis, (Mo.) hay un lugar se llama "Soulard Market." Supone ser un famoso mercado del pescado. Yo lo sé sólo por la celebración de "Mardi Gras/Carnival" La segunda más grande del país. No he ido, todavía. A mi no me gusta "retozar" con los borrachos.

Aquí es el enlace al sitio de la red: http://www.soulardmarket.com/
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?

Return to “Seafood - Mariscos”