Vaqueiros

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

is

Vaqueiros

Post by is »

A newspaper commentary in La Nueva Espana last Saturday (Dec. 8, 2007) reminded me of the wonderful job that the TPA (Asturian public television, set up by Vicente A. Areces) is doing to demote the traditional culture of Asturias. The op-ed writer’s name is Jose de Arango and you can read his commentary here:

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... a-vaqueira

According to Arango, a TPA reporter recently referred to the ‘vaqueiros de alzada’ of western Asturias as pseudo-cowboys and made what he/she thought were funny comments about their kinship to Marlboro-wielding cowboys in the American West (‘el oeste’ and ‘vaqueros’ in Spanish). Arango initially thought it was a joke until he realized the reporter had no inkling. It shows the moronic standards of the TPA and how it kicks downstairs anything perceived as too culturally specific.

For outsiders, it’s odd that a publicly funded regional channel is so ignorant of its target audience. Do they even know their audience? No one has ever referred to the ‘vaqueiros de alzada’ of Asturias as ‘vaqueros’. Not even Central Lechera Asturiana, which markets a honey yogurt called ‘Vaqueiro’. Last time I checked, the TPA was not beaming its signal into Pushtun-speaking areas of south-central Afghanistan. But then again, the TPA lives in its own realm of absurdity.

It’s not the first time the TPA attempts to dumb-down its audience and prevent what the PSOE/FSA ideologues warn is a wave of nationalism of tsunami proportions. Anything deemed ‘culturally specific’ or smacking of too ‘Asturian’ goes into their folk tradition roster of shows, stuff for old geezers in accordance with Areces’ philosophy of bread & circuses.

To set the record straight, the ‘vaqueiros de alzada’ are a sub-culture in western Asturias known for sticking tenaciously to their lifestyle since the 15th century. They practiced a type of semi-nomadism, herding their cattle from one highland pasture (‘brana’) to another according to season. Because they prized their lack of attachments and often did not pay taxes, they suffered discrimination from the ‘xaldo’ (settled farmer) population. Churches had specially designated areas for ‘vaqueiros’, as a form of segregation. Rumor had it they descended from stray Moors and were in essence foreigners, much like Spaniards regard the gypsy population. Their villages and pastures are scattered over the following counties in West Asturias: Cuideiru, Salas, Valdes (L.luarca), Tineu, Ayande, Somiedu and Cangas del Narcea.

Here are a few online resources on the ‘vaqueiros’:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaqueiro
The wiki page on the vaqueiros de alzada.

http://www.comarcavaqueira.com/
Tourist site for the 5 counties that officially belong to the vaqueiro district.

http://www.galeon.com/museovaqueiro/
A small museum in Barzaniel.la, a part of Naraval (Tineu), was inaugurated in 2000 by the ‘Asociacion Cultural Manxelon’. It showcases artifacts and documents related to the vaqueiros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDK-tWlokIw
An interesting 1986 video of ‘La Vaqueirada’ in Aristebano, a summer romeria and traditional wedding that takes place on the border of counties Tineu and Valdes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVjBaSiNiAM
A live concert of folk-rock band Dixebra in Aviles (June 2006) doing their take of a vaqueiro dance. Xose Anton Ambas sings along with Xune Elipe, the vocals of Dixebra.

--------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Una columna periodística de la Nueva España del pasado domingo 8 de diciembre me recordó el estupendo trabajo que la TPA (la televisión pública asturiana puesta en marcha por Vicente A. Areces) realiza para degradar la cultura tradicional asturiana. José de arando firma la columna y aquí podéis leerla:

http://www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp ... a-vaqueira

Según Arango, recientemente una reportera calificó a los “vaqueiros de alzada” del occidente de Asturias como unos pseudo vaqueros y haciendo, lo que ella debía considerar, divertidos comentarios acerca de su parecido a los vaqueros de Marlboro del oeste americano. En un primer momento, Arango creyó que se trataba de una broma, hasta que se percató que la reportera no tenía ni la menor idea. Este hecho pone de manifiesto los estúpidos criterios de la TPA y cómo se desbarata cualquier rasgo cultural demasiado específico.

Para los foráneos resulta extraño que un canal regional financiado con dinero público desconozca hasta ese punto cuál es su audiencia. ¿Pero acaso saben quién es su audiencia? Nadie, nunca, se ha referido a los “vaqueiros de alzada” de Asturias como “vaqueros”. Ni siquiera la Central Lechera Asturiana, que comercializa un yogur llamado “Vaqueiro”. La última vez que lo comprobé la TPA no emitía su señal en las zonas de habla Pushtun del sur y el centro de Afganistán. Pero una vez más la TPA vive en su propio reino de lo absurdo.

No es la primera vez que la TPA intenta idiotizar a su audiencia y previene lo que los ideólogos del PSOE/FSA advierten como una ola de nacionalismo de las proporciones de un maremoto. Cualquier cosa considerada “típicamente cultural” o demasiado “asturiana” se incluye en su lista de programas de tradición folklórica, cosas para viejos, de acuerdo con la filosofía de Areces de pan y circo.

Para aclarar las cosas: los “vaqueiros de alzada” son una subcultura del occidente asturiano conocida por aferrarse a su estilo de vida desde el siglo XV. Practicaban un tipo de seminomadismo, que trashumaban al ganado de los pastos altos (braña) a otro dependiendo de la estación del año. Por valorar su falta de ataduras y, a menudo, no pagar impuestos, sufrieron la discriminación del “xaldo” (ganaderos establecidos). Las iglesias, como medio de segregación, tenían designadas zonas para los “vaqueiros”. Se decía que eran descendientes directos de los moros, por lo que eran extranjeros, la misma consideración que se tiene con la población gitana. Sus aldeas y pastos se encontraban dispersas por los siguientes concejos del occidente asturiano: Cudillero, Salas, Valdés (Luarca), Tineo, Allande, Somiedo y Cangas del Narcea.

Algunas páginas web sobre “vaqueiros”:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaqueiro
La página de la wikipedia sobre los vaqueiros de alzada.

http://www.comarcavaqueira.com/
Página de turismo de los cinco concejos a los que oficialmente pertenecían los distritos vaqueiros.

http://www.galeon.com/museovaqueiro/
En el año 2000 la “Asociación Cultural Manxelon” inauguró un pequeño museo en la Barzaniella, cerca de Naraval (Tineo), en el que se exponen herramientas y documentos relacionados con los vaqueiros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDK-tWlokIw
Un interesante documento gráfico de 1986 sobre “La Vaqueirada” en Aristébano, una romería estival y la boda tradicional que se celebra en la frontera de los concejos de Tineo y Valdés.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVjBaSiNiAM
Concierto de folk-rock en directo del grupo Dixebra en Avilés (junio de 2006) realizando su danza vaqueira. Xose Anton Ambás canta con Xune Elipe, vocalista de Dixebra.
Bob

Post by Bob »

While I don't have time to check the literature right now, my memory tells me that studies have shown the vaqueiros to be genetically indistinguishable from the rest of the Asturian population, thereby ruling out the Moorish origin idea.
is

Post by is »

Yes, all the attempts at differentiating the vaqueiros from the mainstream population were ultimately disproven. The prejudice against them from the mainstream 'xaldo' population was just based on their lifestyle choice and their different traditions.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Bueno, eso no es nada! Vanessa del Rosal, la reportera más dicharachera de Barrio Sésamo TPA se pasó una entrevista entera llamando a nuestro dibujante de comics más internacional, Isaac del Rivero, "Isaac Rubiera". El pobre hombre, tan educado, ni siquiera intentó sacarla de su error, porque no le dejaba meter baza. Es asombroso lo poco que se documentan y con qué soltura y atrevimiento dicen las mayores barbaridades.
----------------------------------------
Oh. that's nothing! Vanessa del Rosal, TPA's most sparkling reporter, spent an entire interview of our most international comic book author, Isaac del Rivero, calling him "Isaac Rubiera". The poor man, polite as he is, never got around to correcting her, because she didn't let him get a word in edgewise. It's just amazing how undocumented they do their job and how boldly and carelessly they chatter away nothing by nonsense.
is

send email to the TPA

Post by is »

For whatever it's worth, I sent a complaint email to the TPA so they educate their team of journalists. The direct link to their web contact page is:

LINK

I sent them the address to this thread and a brief note in Asturian. They don't understand Asturian anyway (their target audience is in south-central Afghanistan, remember?).

Behind the discrediting of Asturian culture is a very intentional political game played by the PSOE, using the TPA to spread its 'vision' of Asturias as a personality-less place.

That's why we shouldn't cut them any slack.
is

More on vaqueiros...

Post by is »

Thanks for translating, Ana! I often don't have time myself, so I appreciate it...

It turns out the TPA is in good company. They are as competent as Spain Magazine, a publication based in the UK with what I presume is an ex-pat audience of second-home owners from Britain that live or spend time in Spain.

I walked into a Barnes & Noble here in Washington DC yesterday and flipped through their November issue to find that the magazine featured a story on Pola de Somiedo and its Brown Bear Foundation, with quotes by a woman called Gloria Suarez. The headline reads as follows:

'In the realm of the bear: Head up into the mountains of Cantabria to experience the landscape and people that live in harmony with the brown bear'

No mention of Asturias anywhere in their travel piece, since Somiedo for them is in Cantabria. And just like the Asturian public television (TPA), they too get the name wrong for the vaqueiros. In paragraph 10, the author refers to them as 'vaquieros'. Look at it here:

http://www.spainmagazine.co.uk/content/view/151/44/

-----

Gracias pola torna al castel.lan, Ana. Dacuandu nun tengo tiempu pa faelo you mesmu, asina que agradezcotelo…

Resulta que la TPA ta en bona compania. La canal publica asturiana paez que ia igual de competente que Spain Magazine, una revista asoleyao en Gran Bretana ya empobinao a turistas ou a xente con segunda casa n’Espana.

Anueite, toupeime cona edicion de payares d’esta revista nuna l.libreria d’eiqui de Washington DC (Barnes & Noble). Garrara l’exemplar porque tenia na sua portada a Pola de Somiedu ya la Fundacion del Osu Pardu, con citas d’una muyer chamada Gloria Suarez. El titular ia esti:

‘Nu reinu del osu. Entainai pa los montes de Cantabria pa vivir el paisaxe ya la xente que vive n’armonia col osu pardu’

Nun mentaban pa nada Asturias en dengun l.lau porque Somiedu pa el.los ta en Cantabria. Ya igual que la TPA, nun fonon a poner bien el nom de los vaqueiros. Nel parrafu 10, la muyer qu’escribiu l’articulu punxo ‘vaquieros’. Echai una gueyada eiqui:

http://www.spainmagazine.co.uk/content/view/151/44/
Itinerantscribe

Vaqueiros Genetic Makeup

Post by Itinerantscribe »

Hi Folks,
Does anyone know of any DNA studies where the descendants of the Vaquieros have participated? My mtdna was tested a few years ago by familytreedna and there aren't any matches in the database for me. My mtdna passed through Asturias as my maternal great-grandmother was born there. From family surnames I am beginning to think they were Vaqueiros. Furthermore, if anyone knows of any DNA studies that utilized any of the Asturian population, I'd be interested in knowing about it. Thanks.

Hola Colisteros,
Acaso alguien sabe de algun estudio genetico que tenga que ver con los Vaqueiros? Me analizaron el ADN hace algunos años atras y todavia no encuentro a nadie con ADN similar al mio. Segun los apellidos de mi familia sospecho que eran Vaqueiros. Si alguien sabe de cualquier tipo de estudio genetico que incluyera a los Asturianos, me interesa saberlo. Gracias.

Maria Krane (Florida)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think your best bet is to request help from a research librarian in a good university library. Since your state, Florida, support its university system with tax dollars, you should have access to the collections even if you do not have borrowing privileges.

An online search may bring up some information, but many of the journals cited will require a paid subscription for online access.

National Geographic was particiating in a worldwide DNA study that should include Asturians in its database, and Luca Luigi Cavalli-Sforza's research is also worth looking into.

While I can't cite the particular paper at the moment, I seem to recall that a genetic study was done comparing vaqueiros and other Asturians, and the conclusion was that there was no significant difference.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Bob wrote:... While I can't cite the particular paper at the moment, I seem to recall that a genetic study was done comparing vaqueiros and other Asturians, and the conclusion was that there was no significant difference.
Carlos has told me something very similar, too, so you're probably right, Bob.

-----------------
Bob wrote:[trans. Art] ... Aunque no puedo citar el documento en el momento, creo que recuerdo que había una investigación genética que comparó a vaqueiros y otros asturianos, y la conclusión fue que no hubo diferencias significativas.
Carlos me ha dicho algo muy similar, también, por lo que creo que tienes razón, Bob.
Pruvia

Post by Pruvia »

N'Asturies hai vaqueiros y vaqueros.
Los vaqueros son aquelles persones que vivíen en Paraes (Biedes, Les Regueres), Llugo y Pruvia (Llanera) y Bobes, Samiguel de la Barreda, Ordoñu, ... (Siero) y que pel branu subíen col ganáu al pueblu de Torrestíu (Babia, Llión).
Ya xovellanos falara d'ellos na so carta sobre los vaqueiros d'alzada sñalando delles diferencies ente los vaqueiros del ocidente y los vaqueros del centru.

----
Trans. Is

In Asturies there are both vaqueiros and vaqueros. The vaqueros were the people living in Paraes (Biedes, Les Regueres), Llugo y Pruvia (both townships in County Llanera) and Bobes, Samiguel de la Barreda, Ordonu, ...(County Siero), who drove their cattle to summer pastures in the village of Torrestiu (Babia, Province of Leon).
Xovellanos [Jovellanos] already refers to the population of the vaqueiros d'alzada in a letter, pointing to differences between the vaqueiros of West Asturias and those of Central Asturies.
tierradenadie

Re: Vaqueiros

Post by tierradenadie »

Is wrote:A
To set the record straight, the ‘vaqueiros de alzada’ are a sub-culture in western Asturias known for sticking tenaciously to their lifestyle since the 15th century. They practiced a type of semi-nomadism, herding their cattle from one highland pasture (‘brana’) to another according to season
¿los vaqueiros tienen sus propias tierras? ¿o tierras publicas? ¿viven en caravanas? ¿cuántos hay?

----
Trans. Is

Did the vaqueiros own their land? Or did they live off public land? Did they live in trailers? How many are alive today?
Pruvia

Post by Pruvia »

Los vaqueiros vivian por el verano en las tierras bajas (les mariñes),a uno tenía su propio prado, huerta, ..., viviendo en casas similares a los no vaqueiros (xaldos, estantes, marnuetos, ...).
Por el verano vivian en cabañas de diferente tipo (techo de paja, de pizarra, de escoba, de teja) y el ganado se guardaba en la misma cabaña o en corros. Los pastos de la braña pertecían a las familias vaqueiras, pero podían estar en comunal o cerrado con una porción para cada familia.
Los vaquieros del centro de Asturias uan a Torrestio vivían en casas similares a las de los estantes y tenían fincas privadas, pero podían usar los pastos comunales, que eran propiedad del pueblo de Torrestío..

----
Trans. Is

The vaqueiros spent the summers in low-lying areas along the coast (les mariñes), each family had its fields and gardens, ...., and lived in houses that were similar to non-vaqueiros (also known by the terms xaldos, estantes, marnuetos, ...).

During the summer months, they lived in stone and thatched-roof huts (sometimes made of straw, shrubs or slate) and their cattle lived with them either inside the hut or in corrals. The summer pastures belonged to the vaqueiro families, but they could also be either communal or fenced off, with lots allocated to each family.

The vaqueiros in Central Asturias, in Torrestio, lived in similar houses to those spending the summer in highland pastures. They had their own private lands, but retained access to communal pastures which were the property of the village of Torrestio.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's worth noting that the vaqueiros were discriminated against, probably because their lifestyle (transhumance cattle raising) left them with no year-round abode and therefore sundered them from their neighbors in any location, and had a higher suicide rate than the rest of the asturianos. There is a book that deals with this subject, the name of which escapes me at the moment (it's at my other house - an ongoing problem anytime I want to look up something).

----
Trans. Is

Ye importante que la xente sepa que habia discriminacion abonda pa escontra los vaqueiros, seique porque la so forma de vida (diben xunto'l ganau segun les estaciones) nun-yos permitia posase nun sitiu per muncho tiempu y dexaben de ver a los sos vecinos. Tamien habia un indice de suicidios mas altu que nel resto de la xente asturiano. Hai un llibru que fala d'esto, pero escaeci el titulu nesti intre (ta na otra casa, un problema que tengo de continuo cuando toca mirar dalguna caxigalina).
Pruvia

Post by Pruvia »

Bono, eso ye verdá pa los vaqueiros del occidente, pero nun ye asina pa colos vaqueiros del centru. Nel casu de la mio familia, vaqueiros de Teberga y Llanera, nun había discriminación nenguna. Esto yera asina fai 50 años y fai 200, pues Xovellanos ya falara de qu'una deles diferencies qu'estremaben los vaqueiros del occidente de los del centru yera qu'aquellos taben discriminaos polos sos vecinos y los del centru non.

Tal vez tenga que ver qu'estes dos poblaciones de les que fala Xovellanos y a les que casualmente pertenez la mio familia, tuvieron títulu de nobleza hasta lo cabero del sieglu XVIII, yeren fidalgos.

Tamién quixera dar les gracies a la xente que torna los mensaxes, si nun fuera por ellos nun diba poder escribir.

----
Trans. Is

Well, that may be true for the vaqueiros of West Asturias. But it was not the case for those of Central Asturias. In my family, vaqueiros from the counties of Teberga and Llanera, there was no social discrimination at all. It was like that 50 years ago and 200 years back. Xovellanos [Jovellanos] back then spoke about the differences between those out West and those in Central Asturias, discrimination not being an issue for the latter.

It could be that the two populations referred to by Xovellanos, of which my own family is part, had a title of nobility and were not forced to pay taxes until the end of the 18th century [they were considered 'fidalgos' or noble gentry].

I also wanted to thank the people that translate the messages because I wouldn't be able to follow the threads without their help.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

No creo que te hayamos dado una acogida cordial, Pruvia. Bienvenido, y gracias por compartir! Has escrito mensajes muy interesantes. ¡Que sigas!

------------------------

I don't think we've given you a warm welcome yet, Pruvia. Welcome, and thanks for sharing! You've written very interesting posts. Keep it up!

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”