How to use Longaniza

Recipies using beef, veal, pork, sausages, patés, & game.<br>
Recetas empleando carne de vaca, ternera, cerdo, embutidos, paté, y caza.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

dcm8299

Post by dcm8299 »

Mr. Gonzalez,

Yes he did. He had 3 girls, one of which got very seriously burned. I believe their names were Sylvia, Lydia, and Gloria but don't hold me to it. And my grandmother's family even had a nickname, they use to call them Cascarilla. My Aunt Olga went to WV this past summer with mya parents and spoke to Frank Menendez and had a very nice conversation. Talk soon.

Rene'
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Rene
I know the name Cascarilla. I called my cousin Betty Mendez Sunday to ask her and she said I was right. I was very young at the time they lived in Spelter. I was born two doors up from where Frank and Joe lived. They are also in the documentary. If I remember correctly, Oscar lived in Spelter close to where we lived, up two houses, then to your left two houses. I was very young when he moved.
dcm8299

Post by dcm8299 »

Well then Mr. Gonzalez you know my maternal family and where they came from. Unfortunately, the only one still living is my Aunt Olga, Oscar's younger sister. Two of Oscar's daughters are still alive as well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Rene'
Raquel M

La longaniza

Post by Raquel M »

La longaniza se frie...yo la corto a lo largo....la frio en aceite de oliva
( para que sea sano!!! ) envuelvo la longaniza en pan Cubano y
es lo mas divino que existe en el mundo!!!
Si, se agrega a los potajes y demas, pero frita con pan para mi es lo mejor!
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

All I remember is longaniza was white and chorizo was red. By far my preference was definitely the longaniza. Dad use to drive it to Ohio in an ice-filled cooler from Spelter. I believe he said that he purchased it from cousin Josaphine.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

A while back, Malfalda explained that "white" longaniza is actually a special case. It's called "longaniza de Avilés" in Asturias and seemingly was only found there in Avilés. Most longaniza I've seen in Spain has paprika in it, but this doesn't. I finally got to try it this summer. The flavor is a lot like Polish sausage in the US.

----------------------------

Hace mucho tiempo, Malfalda explicó que la longaniza "blanco" es en realidad un caso especial. Se llama "longaniza de Avilés" en Asturias y aparentemente sólo se encuentran en Avilés. La mayoría de longaniza que he visto en España tiene pimentón, pero ésta no. Por fin lo probé este verano. El sabor es muy similar a la salchicha polaca en los EEUU.
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Right, Art. That's the one! I seem to recall cousin Josaphine from when I was younger. I think she was my grandfather's cousin, or maybe my dad's, not sure. I think she had blonde hair, but I need Ken (Menendez) to verify who she was. She made the most wonderful Longaniza de Aviles. Dad (Donald Alvarez) said she once had a deli near the Spelter area. Was her last name Gonzales? Does anyone know? I would give my eye tooth for this recipe. I long for this longaniza!!! :roll:

By the way, we lost our dad October 13, 2008, last year.
The only one of the 5 siblings still living to this date is Bud (Arthur Alvarez - *See Photo Album).
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Donna
The only Josephine that I knew that made longaniza was was Josephine Alvarez. Her mom and dad had a store at the bridge as you came into Spelter. If you Google Spelter you can see her in a clip from AsturiasUS. She is the one that told me about the Asturians of Spelter. If I had a question I knew where to go to get the answer. I still have have questions, but the people that could answer them are not here. We need oral history done or it will some day be gone; we have lost a a lot as it is. As to the family ties to your family, I don't know. I don't remember of any, but it could be.

I do remember your dad. I think you carry his name. As for Bud, I remember him, but that's about it. I would see them when they would visit Mike. They would come into the store. I was just a kid. I must tell you that your grandfather was a very kind man with a good heart. He carried a lot of people from payday to payday in his store.
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

I saw your face, Ron, and I was going to tell you many times that I remember you, but hadn't gotten to it. You haven't changed. Yes, it was Josehine Alvarez. I needed a pinch. I thought that was she in the pictures. I need a prod! It's all coming back to me.
I envy you, growing up there. The times my aunts hosted my ornery self for the summer, and giving my mother an earned rest, were the best times of my life, and of course the best foods and friends.
My scanner is giving me grief, but I have old Alvarez store pictures. I was surprised nobody had one, and am glad to be able to contribute.
You've gotten another thing right, I'm the Junior. Sad to say, the folks wanted a boy, and hadn't a girls name in mind at my arrival. That's optimism! Henceforth, I'm Donna Jean (Donald Eugene). I tried very hard to be their son, a tomboy. I outgrew it, I have four children of my own.
Do you remember me? (Don't answer that, ha!)
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Donna
I've been trying to place you. My recall is not what it was. I also remember your Aunt Mary and Uncle Andy. What a fun loving people they were, as all Asturians were. I have nothing but good memories of Spelter. I would not trade them for any other place.
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Mary and Andy had the store after Grandpa's retirement. Those were the days of my absence.
To my recollection, I'd only met them once, to my dismay. I was very young. Grandpa was very fond of his brothers. I would very much like to hear from that side of the family. I email Roland and Ruth Jean's daughter, Diana. We keep in touch with her. Her father, Roland Book recently passed away. Other than that I've strayed away, sad to say.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Donna
Ruth Jean and my cousin Mary Jean Gonzalez were classmates at Victory High School ( class of 42). I think Mary Jean also knew your father she would ask about him and your Uncle Bud from time to time.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Ron, for answering Donna's questions!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Dad last year, Donna.

-----------------------

¡Gracias a Ron por responder a las preguntas de Donna!

Lo siento que tu padre murió el año pasado, Donna.
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

I thank you Ron. It was so nice to reminisce.
Thanks for your condolences, Art.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Here's an article on longaniza from "La Cofradia del Colesterol":
http://www.cofradiadelcolesterol.com/longaniza.htm

----------------------------------

Aquí está un artículo sobre longaniza de "La Cofradia del Colesterol":
http://www.cofradiadelcolesterol.com/longaniza.htm

Return to “Meats - Carnes”