Spanish Soccer Teams Donora

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

lrknudson

Re: Spanish Soccer Teams Donora

Post by lrknudson »

jbarbo wrote:Greetings to everyone!

Donora has had many soccer teams over 1920-1950. Here are two teams from the 1930 Spanish Zinc Works and the Spanish Club Maroons from 1948-49. Can you name everyone in the photos? My uncles, Joe Barbao and Emil Barbao were on the 1930 team. The young boys on the 1948-49 team are Jimmy Fernandez and Ricardo' Dinks' Fernandez, son of " El Cubano.

Saludos a todos!

Donora ha tenido muchos equipos de futbol entre 1920-1950. Aqui hay dos equipos del ano 1930, Spanish Zinc Works y el Spanish Club Maroons del ano1948-49. Conoce a los jugadores en las fotos? Mis tios, Joe Barbao y Emilio Barbao jugaron con el equipo 1930. Los guajes en la foto del 1948-49 son Jimmy Fernandez y Ricardo'Dinks' Fernandez, hijo de 'El Cubano.

Ricardo Fernandez (Dinks) is my father. El Cubano was my "Buelo". I wish I had started asking questions and paying attention sooner. I am now in my late 40's and trying to research my family.

Unlike many people on here, I disliked our trips back to Donora every other year. It smelled (zinc mines) and seemed dirty and old. I did not know anyone (not many my age) and would be made to sit while my parents visited people that I did not know (although they were relatives).

I did enjoy summers swimming at the Spanish Club (they had the best pizza) and my Buela's (Anita Medina) cooking and especially baking (Christmas cookies and Easter bread are tastes that I will never forget!)

If you have any information or directions that could lead me to more information, I'd appreciate it! Thanks, Lisa (Fernandez)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Possibly. I don't have much in the way of actual records of her other than in documents concerning other relatives, but the date of birth sounds about right.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”