Is Asturianu dying? ¿Muere la lengua asturiana?

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

argayu

Post by argayu »

Creo qu'aldericar alrodiu cuestiones que yá nun discute naide ye perder el tiempu. A estes altures la película ñega-y la condición de llingua al asturianu ye acientífico, por nun decir ridículo. Ni siquier los mayores enemigos de la normalización, y falo de llingüistes y non de charranes, como Alarcos o Jesús Neira, ñegan que l'asturiano seya daqué estremao del castellán. Otra cosa ye que ñeguen que seya un llingua xunitaria (¿cuála lo ye?) y que-y dean nomes de lo más estrambótico como conxuto de fales y coses asina.

Pal que diz que nunca sintió falar asturianu en La Pola Siero, invítolu a dir un Martes a los aleros de la plaza cubiera y poner la oreya al llau de les muyeres que venden ellí.

Salú.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creo que debatir sobre cuestiones que ya no discute nadie es perder el tiempo. A estas alturas de la película negarle la condición de lengua al asturiano es acientífico, por no decir ridículo. Ni siquiera los mayores enemigos de la normalización, y hablo de lingüistas y no de charlatanes, como Alarcos o Jesús Neira, niegan que el asturiano sea algo distinto del castellano. Otra cosa es que nieguen que sea una lengua unitaria (¿cuál lo es?) y que le den nombres de lo más estrambótico, como conjunto de hablas y cosas así.

Para el que dice que nunca sintió hablar asturiano en La Pola Siero, le invito a ir un Martes a los aleros de la plaza cubiera y poner la oreja a lado de las mujeres que venden allí.

Salud.
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

My grandfather always called water " wa-wa", instead of agua. My mother always thought that he picked that up in Cuba where he lived for a short time before coming to the states, not knowing that it was an Asturian dialect. We would call are grandparents " wel-lo" and " wel-la", instead of abuelo and abuela. We had a family doctor from Spain, who spoke Castilian. When I asked my grandfather about the way the doctor spoke spanish, which was noticibly different, he put his hand up in the air and said it was higher. When he said it was higher, he did not mean it in a contemptable way, he just thought that it was better spanish.
By the way, in Pittsburgh here we have are own "Pittsburghese".
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Pepe, can you tell us why you assume that Asturianu is a dialect?

---------------

¿Pepe, puedes decirnos porqué supones que asturianu es un dialecto?
gabitones

Post by gabitones »

Diccionario R.A.E:
Dialecto
1. m. Ling. Sistema lingüístico considerado con relación al grupo de los varios derivados de un tronco común. El español es uno de los dialectos nacidos del latín.
2. m. Ling. Sistema lingüístico derivado de otro, normalmente con una concreta limitación geográfica, pero sin diferenciación suficiente frente a otros de origen común.
3. m. Ling. Estructura lingüística, simultánea a otra, que no alcanza la categoría social de lengua.

D'estas definiciones, la tercera ía la que puei usase pa'l Asturianu. Las outras dúas, non. Según la primera, tolas l.linguas son dialeutos d'aquel.la de que surdienon ya'l Asturianu nacióu del l.latín enantes que'l primitivu castiel.lanu, eso naide lu aniega. La segunda nun val nu nuesu casu polo mesmo: l'asturianu n'orixen nun ía dialeutu del español senon del l.latín ya aparte, ta muitu diferenciáu del castiel.lanu, a lo menos tanto como'l gal.legu. La última definición ía au podemos discutir. ¿Los falantes d'asturianu dan-y al mesmu categoría de l.lingua? Nun sei.
Pa mi que eiquí los l.linguistas quixenon dexase l.libertá pa facer las suas clasificaciones de l.linguas ya dialeutos según los suos criterios de defensa de la hexemonía l.lingüística castiel.lana. Por esti tercer puntu, denguna fala na situación de poucu apreciu social ía una l.lingua. You sou pesimista (ou realista) ya enque hai muita xente que l.luita pol asturianu, nun somos mayoría.
Tamién, por desgracia, hai muita xente n'Asturias que nun ta interesada en salvar esta l.lingua.
Last edited by gabitones on Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

If indeed it is not spanish but a separate language, then why is 80% of it .....spanish.....?
20% to me hardly qualifies as a language. If so, try to TOTALLY
communicate everything on that 20%.
Do you consider the language as we speak it here in the States a SEPARATE language from english?
Bob

Post by Bob »

While I don't have time to describe the argument for asturianu being a seperate language in detail at the moment, I will simply cite the major difference in vocabulary (too numerous to to list here), major grammatical differences (where are the compound tenses in asturianu?), the retention of older linguistic forms (facer rather than hacer, falar rather than hablar)and such oddities as the use of the article with the possesive, which does not appear in castellano.

For me, being able to read castellano certainly makes reading asturianu easier, but it also helps in reading various Italian dialects, gallego, Portuguese, etc. I have shown asturianu texts to fellow faculty members who teach Spanish abd Portuguese as well as to native speakers of various versions of castellano, and none of them find it easy to read.

It is, of course, ultimately a judgment call, and depends on what evidence one cares to consider. In a sense, it's analogous to the species concept in biology. Lions and tigers are good and distinct species, They look different, they have different social organizations and they exhibit different hunting practices. I know of no one who argues they are the same species. Yet they interbreed in captivity and their skeletons are almost indistinguishable.

I'm not aware that any linguist has argued that asturianu and castellano are 80% the same, but some have claimed that there is about 80% mutual intelligibility between the two languages for native speakers. This is a very different concept.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Pepe, have you read what Gabitones wrote?
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =7543#7543
He makes some very interesting points.

Bob's comparison of Italian and Castilian and then Asturian and Castilian is right on target. I can read and speak about as much Italian as I can Asturian, maybe more! And Castilian is clearly not a dialect of modern Italian, is it?

I agree with Gabitones that the main reason why Asturianu is not thought of as a language is political and social. When Spanish school children are taught that Asturian is a dialect, they're learning a political fact, not a linguistic fact.

If more Asturians really cared about this issue, the politicians would officially declare it a language out of their own self-interest in staying in power.

I find it highly insulting when someone claims Asturian is a dialect. To my amazement, I sometimes get pretty irrational about this issue.

Well, I keep wondering whether the average Asturian feels this way, too, and if not why not? From what I've read and heard, it seems that a large percentage of Asturians do not see Asturian as being their language.

If that's true, Pepe may be right about the future of Asturian. Without a high level of popular support, a language like Asturian with few speakers and limited cultural relevancy risks dying out by the next century.

---------------------

¿Pepe, has leído lo que escribió Gabitones? http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =7543#7543
Hace algunos puntos muy interesantes.

La comparación de Bob de italiano y castellano y entonces asturianu y castellano dieron en el blanco. Puedo leer y hablar tanto el italiano como el asturianu, ¡quizá más! Y es obvio que el castellano no es un dialecto de italiano moderno, ¿no?

Estoy de acuerdo con Gabitones que la razón principal queno se piensa de Asturianu como una lengua es polítical y social. Cuando se enseñan a los colegiales españoles que asturianu es un dialecto, están aprendiendo un hecho político, no un hecho lingüístico.

Si más asturianos realmente se preocupan esta cuestión, los políticos la declararían oficialmente una lengua para proteger su propio interés en permanecer en poder.

Lo encuentro altamente ofensivo cuando alguien opino que el asturianu es un dialecto. Para mi sorpresa, a veces me vuelvo bastante irracional sobre esta tema.

Pues, muchas veces me pregunto de si los asturianos tipos sienten así también y, si no, ¿porqué no? De lo que he leído y oído, me parece que para un gran porcentaje de asturianos no consideran el asturianu ser su lengua propia.

Si eso es verdad, Pepe tiene razón sobre el futuro de asturianu. Sin un nivel alto de apoyo popular, una lengua como asturianu, que tiene pocos hablantes y una importancia cultural muy limitada, arriesga muerte antes del siglo próximo.
gabitones

Post by gabitones »

Asturian can be defined as a different language taking into account its differences with Spanish and its independent origin. I think this is a subject that nobody can discuss if you knows something about Asturian language and its history.
The main problem to accept this reality is that not many people knows much more Asturian words than the ones they use at their homes. The most of people in Asturias live in cities or towns, and there, people use few words from the asturian vocabulary.
Despite is very common to change the ending of the words to give them an "asturian style" and to use the asturian form of verb to be "ye" to say "is", the most of people in towns don't know (and don't use) more asturian words than the most typical ones.
¿Why?: because since the ending of the XIX, something good as the extension of the education, was completely disastrous for Asturian language. Nobody did anything to include the traditional language as a subject at school. The language of the highest class was Castilian and this was the once that people would need to learn. Even the Asturian-speakers thought they spoke badly. They rejected their own language out of the closest enviroment.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Wow, Gabitones and I are thinking in similar ways. Last night I wrote this:

Pepe's earlier question deserves an answer.
Pepe Buylla wrote:... then why is 80% of it .....spanish.....?
20% to me hardly qualifies as a language.
I'll answer as best I can and ask that those who know better correct me if I've gotten it wrong.

I think the answer to Pepe's question is that what we read and hear in Asturian today isn't pure Asturian. (Then again, no language -- especially in a global culture like ours -- can be pure.) Because of the social dominance of Castilian, Asturian as it is used today typically contains many Castilian words, expressions, and grammar. Or we could turn that inside out and say, as Gabitones did, that Asturians speak Castilian, tossing in a few Asturian words, expressions, and a little grammatical seasoning.

From what I've heard, I'd guess that my Asturian relatives and friends understand a fair amount of Asturian, but I haven't hear them speaking more than a disconnected noun here and a loose verb there. That may be because they want to me to understand them, but do they speak much more Asturian with anyone else? For most of them, I doubt it. I'd guess that the fact that they speak Castilian -- with a few specks of Asturian to give an Asturian flavor -- is the result of Franco's prohibition against Asturian along with other strong social and economic pressures to adopt Castilian. (Gabitones makes a good point about the effect of universal education.)

So in a sense Pepe is right: A lot of what we hear and read these days is largely Castilian with a bit of Asturian tossed in. But that's doesn't mean that Asturian itself is largely Castilian.

One could argue that the "pure" Asturian I'm talking about is essentially gone already and that the bastardized Asturian we hear is the modern Asturian language. This bastardized Asturian probably should be considered a dialect of Castilian. But for those who care about preserving the Asturian language, the bastardized dialect is not the Asturian they care about. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong!)

My understandng is that groups such as L'Academia de la Llingua Asturiana are working to catalog and define the language so that it can be distinguished from Castilian, Galician, etc. As Terechu has said elsewhere in the forum, this task is difficult and perhaps impossible because there are many strongly differing dialects within Asturian. It could easily be argued that these differences are a vital part of the character of the language. Can you preserve a language which is really a set of dialects by defining one normative standard for the language?

I tend to believe that agreeing on a standardized version of Asturian is a practical necessity if we're going to teach it in the schools. And we do need to teach it in the schools, because kids aren't hearing the language at home. Unless a standardized version is promoted, there won't be enough young speakers of the language to prevent it from disappearing.

In a sense, then, a standardized Asturian sacrifices the many dialects for the chance to preserve the language. This isn't a perfect solution, but are there any other options?

It's ironic that (as Gabitones wrote) the schools helped push the language toward irrelevance and now the schools may be our best hope for preserving the language.

What do you think?

-------------------

¡Vaya! Gabitones y yo estamos pensando de maneras similares. Ayer por la noche escribí esto:

La pregunta anterior de Pepe merece una respuesta.
Pepe Buylla wrote: [trans. Art] … entonces porqué está el 80% de la lengua ..... español .....? el 20% lo veo difícil calificar como lengua.
Contestaré como puedo lo mejor posible y pido que los que conocen mejor que yo me corrijan si lo escribo incorrecto.

Pienso que la respuesta a la pregunta de Pepe es que lo que leemos y oigo en asturianu hoy no es asturianu puro. (Pues, por otro lado ninguna lengua -- especialmente en una cultura global como la nuestra -- puede ser puro.) Debido a la dominación social de castellano, asturianu como se utiliza hoy contiene típicamente muchas palabras, expresiones, y gramática castellana. O podríamos ponerlo de adentro para fuera y decir como ha dicho Gabitones, que los asturianos hablan castellano, rociandolo con algunas palabras de asturianu, unas expresiones, y un poquito de la gramática asturianu como condimento.

De lo que he oído, conjeturaría que mis parientes y amigos asturianos entienden bastante asturianu, pero no les he oído hablar más que un sustantivo desconectado acá y un verbo flojo allá. Eso puede ser porque desean que yo les entienda, ¿pero hablan mucho más asturianu con cualquier persona otro? Para la mayor parte de ellos, lo dudo. Suponería que le hecho que hablan castellano -- con algunas motas de asturianu para darlo un sabor asturiano -- es el resultado de la prohibición de Franco contra el uso de asturianu, junto con otras presiones sociales y económicas fuertes de adoptar castellano. (Gabitones hace un buen punto sobre el efecto de la educación universal.)

Pues, en cierto sentido Pepe tiene razón: gran parte de lo que oímos y leemos actualmente es en su mayor parte castellano espolvoreado con un poco de asturianu. Pero eso no significa que el asturianu sí mismo sea en gran parte castellano.

Se podría argumentar que esté asturianu “puro” de que estoy hablando ya está esencialmente muerto y que el asturianu envilecido que oímos es la lengua asturiana moderna. Esto asturianu envilecido probablemente se debe considerar un dialecto del castellano. Pero para los quienes se preocupan por preservar la lengua asturiana, el dialecto envilecido no es el asturianu querido. (Una vez más, corrigeme si golpeo en falso!)

Como lo entiendo, grupos como L'Academia de la Llingua Asturiana están trabajando catalogar y definir la lengua de modo que se puede distinguidarlo de castellano, gallego, etc. Como Terechu ha dicho en otra parte del foro, esta tarea es difícil y quizás imposible porque hay muchos dialectos que se diferencian fuertemente dentro de asturianu. Sería fácil argumentar que estas diferencias son una parte vital del carácter de la lengua. ¿Se puede preservar una lengua que realmente es un sistema de dialectos por definir un estándar normativo para la lengua?

Tiendo a creer que es una necesidad práctica decidir sobre una versión estandardizada de asturianu si vamos a enseñarla en las escuelas. Y necesitamos enseñarla en las escuelas porque los colegiales no están oyendo la lengua en casa. A menos que se promueva una versión estandardizada, no habrá bastantes hablantes jóvenes de la lengua para evitar que desaparezca.

En un sentido, entonces, un asturianu estandardizado sacrifica los muchos dialectos para la oportunidad preservar la lengua. No es una solución perfecta, ¿pero hay cualquier otra opción?

Es irónico que (como Gabitones escribió) las escuelas ayudaron empujar la lengua hacia irrelevancia y ahora las escuelas pueden ser el mejor esperanza para preservar la lengua.

¿Qué piensas?
argayu

Post by argayu »

¿La estandarización del castellán suposo la muerte de les variantes? Nun creo. Güei hai xente qu'entama a considerar l'andaluz, como una llingua estremada del castellán. Temos o non d'alcuerdu cola posibilidá, parezme que ye un signu de vitalidá, non de muerte de la variante.

¿Por qué los procesos normales en cualesquier llingua, nun valen pa la de nós? ¿Nun hai variantes nel inglés?

La diferencia ye que casi too lo que arrodia'l tema que tamos tratando, ye más política que llinguística.

Una nota al marxe. Durante'l franquismu, la nuesa llingua foi la única "respetada" pol réxime, porque nun suponía nengún peligru pa la dictadura: los propios asturianos yá s'encargaben de facela de menos. Nesti sen, recomiendo la llectura del fascílu escrito por García Arias, pal coleccionable de La Nueva España, "Los Asturianos".

Salú.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

¿La estandarización del castellano suposo la muerte de las variantes? No creo. Hoy hay gente que empieza a considerar el andaluz, como una lengua separada del castellano. Estemos o no de acuerdo con la posibilidad, me parece que es un signo de vitalidad, no de muerte de la variante.

¿Por qué los procesos normales en cualquier lengua, no valen para la nuestra? ¿No hay variantes en inglés?

La diferencia es que casi todo lo que rodea el tema que estamos tratando, es más política que linguística.

Una nota al margen. Durante el franquismo, nuestra lengua fue la única "respetada" por el régimen, porque no suponía ningún peligro para la dictadura: los propios asturianos ya se encargaban de hacerla de menos. En este sentido, recomiendo la lectura del fascílo escrito por García Arias, para el coleccionable de La Nueva España, "Los Asturianos".

Salud.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Argayu wrote:Durante el franquismo, nuestra lengua fue la única "respetada" por el régimen, porque no suponía ningún peligro para la dictadura: los propios asturianos ya se encargaban de hacerla de menos.
¿Entonces no era prohibido falar asturianu? ¡Pues, si es así, reconozco mi error!

No creo que hay tantos diferencias entre dialectos estadounidense que hay en los dialectos de asturianu. ¿Tantos diferencias en la ortografía y en la pronunciación? No lo creo. Además, en su mayor parte, no tenemos grupos de hablantes tan pequenas. Y Asturias es un pais pequeña.

Pero debo preguntar a mis compatriotas: ¿Norteamericanos, lo creéis o no?

Quizás lo entienda mal. Leyendo los mensajes del foro me la impresión que los dialectos asturianos son bastantes distintos para impedir comunicación. ¿Es verdad?

Si se enseñan veinte dialectos distintos, los alumnos y profesores tendrán dificultades en trasladar de una escuela a otra, ¿no? En los EE.UU. enseñan más o menos la misma lengua inglesa, la misma ortografía, la misma gramática. La pronunciación tiene alguna variedad.

De todas formas, no quiero decir que no valen nada los dialectos. Pero hacen la preservación de la lengua más difícil, especialmente dado que hay pocos hablantes.

--------------------
Argayu wrote: [trans. Art] During the Franco era, our language was the only one “respected” by the regime, because it did not entail any danger for the dictatorship: we Asturian ourselves took charge of making it less used.
So it was not against the law to speak asturian? If so, then, I stand corrected!

I do not believe that there are so many differences between English dialects in the US compared to the dialects of Asturian. Are there that many differences in the spelling and pronunciation? I don't think so. In addition, for the most part we do not have such small groups of speakers. But I should ask my fellow North Americans: North Americans, do you think that's right?

Perhaps I understand this incorrectly. Reading the messages of the forum gave me the impression that the Asturian dialects are different enough to impede communication. Is that true?

If twenty different dialects are taught in the schools, would the students and professors have difficulty in transferring from one school to another? In the US they teach more or less the same English language, the same spelling, the same grammar. The pronounciation does vary some.

In any case, I do not mean to say that the dialects are not worth anything. But they do make preservation of the language more difficult, especially when there are so few speakers.
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

Otay, yunz may have some points........ But the fact is, most "languages" are just shall we say "evolving dialects gathering words from other dialects" for lack of a better description at this moment. Most words that we refer to as "profanities" in "our language" actually came from another "language". The "other" being the minority "language" in England. Actually, those words did not have a "profane" meaning in their language. In any event, Asturian is a dying dialect...............unless of course Asturian men and women start getting REEEEaaaal BUSY......ya know what I mean? The life or death of any" language" directly relates to the amount of copulating being done by that group, in comparison to the amount of copulating being done by all the other groups. In other words, ASTURIANU'S UNITE!!!...GET BUSY!!!...And for the record, I typed this last part with not even a smirk on my face,... but my skull is ready to explode...
pepe buylla

Post by pepe buylla »

Art, earlier in this thread, Felix asked if this website receives any grant monies. Does it?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

felix wrote: [trans. Art] :D I was born in Bimenes and live in Pola de Siero. I have never heard to anybody speak in as strange a language as that of some of the members of this forum. How many subsidies/grants have you all received to date?
I wasn't sure about Felix's use of "subvenciones." I assumed that he was just kidding. Maybe not?

We haven't received any grants.

Several of us have been paying for the expenses of the forum. We also earn a little from our affiliate links. If our affilicate links were used more afiliate clicks, no one would have to pay anything.

How does that work? Any time you buy anything at Amazon.com, for example, you could support the forum by using the Amazon affiliate link. It won't cost you anything, but these businesses will give us 1-5% (and sometimes more) depending on the business and the kind of item.

The link for the affiliate links page is at the bottom of every page in the site: http://www.asturianus.org/affiliateLinks.html

Please check the list. It's almost certain that you already shop with some of them.

There are links for a lot of companies and I can add more. Let me know if there is a company you'd like to see on the list.

-----------------
felix wrote: :D Naci en Bimenes y vivo en Pola de Siero. Nunca he oido a nadie hablar en un lengua tan extraña como la de algunos de los miembros de este foro. ¿Cuantas subvenciones han recibido hasta la fecha?
No estaba seguro del uso por Felix de "subvenciones". Suponé que estaba bromeando. ¿Tal vez, no?

No, no recibimos ninguna subvención.

Unos pocos de nostros hemos sido pagando los gastos del foro. También ganamos un poquito de los enlaces afiliados. Si se usan los enlaces afiliados más, nadie tendría que pagar nada.

¿Cómo se usan? Cuando quieres comprar algo de Amazon.com, por ejemplo, puedes apoyar el foro por utilizar el enlace afiliado para Amazon. Usando un enlace afiliado no se cuesta más, pero estos negocios nos darán 1-5% (y algunos veces más) depende del negocio y de la clase del artículo.

(Es probable que estos enlaces funcionen solamente para los quienes viven en los EE.UU.)

El enlace para los enlaces afiliados aparece al fondo de cada página del sitio: http://www.asturianus.org/affiliateLinks.html

Por favor visita el eslabón para ver la lista. Si estás en los EE.UU., seguramente ya eres cliente de algunos de estos negocios.

Hay enlaces de muchas compañías, y puedo añadir más. Dime si hay un negocio que quieres ver en la lista.
Last edited by Art on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betty

Post by Betty »

What an interesting discussion... I only wish I could understand 100% off the postings in Asturianu and Castilian.
But, to Art's question to his fellow North Americans. (sorry I couldn't find how to properly quote it.) I am not familiar with Asturian or its dialects, but, of course, am familiar with various dialects in the US... and there are many from one coast to the other. But, how about the dialects or accents outside the USA? My ear immediately determines an "English Speaker" to be from Australia, from England (which dialect? :wink: ), from Canada, for examples. The language is the mostly the same when written and yet different when spoken by those from the different countries. (Yes, there are differences in spelling of some words, but only slightly.) I consider the language to be English with an Australian accent... Canadian accent etc.
We will hear variations of speech concerning certain words or phrases and their meaning... but no problem understanding one another. I recall a neighborhood family who moved to our northern Ohio city, Canton, from Conn. They said "soda" for what we called "pop." And, would use the phrase "I'll spill some soda for you." when we would have said "I'll pour some pop for you."
I also remember my father telling me that during WWII when he was in Italy he had no trouble understanding Italian because it was so much like his Spanish. I didn't realize at the time that my father spoke Asturianu as did my grandparents and aunts and uncles. Wish I could say I do too... :(

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”