Martinez/Arroyo families from Aviles in early 1900s/1910s

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

jdmartinez

Martinez/Arroyo families from Aviles in early 1900s/1910s

Post by jdmartinez »

Hello All,

I apologize that my research so far is very vague - but any help or suggestions for finding further information is very much appreciated.

From what I know:
My great grandfather was Manuel Martinez, born Jan 8, 1890 from Aviles who came to America sometime around 1920. Family history believed earlier, but a 1930 American census shows 1920. Other information on this census is wrong however. His wife was Mercedes Arroyo (birth around 1891) - whose fathers name was Manuel also I believe. A name Miranda - grandfather is also listed on her documents coming into Ellis Island, NY - but those details are sketchy.

They had multiple children born in Spain from what I can tell: Teodora (b 1913), Emilio (my grandfather b 1915), and Manuel (b 1917). It looks like they were going to Meadowbrook, WV (which from these forums looks like Spelter, WV). I know my great grandfather worked in the mines, and eventually moved to Langeloth (Burgettstown) PA to work for American Zinc and Chemical. There were other members of the family also (from 1930 census) - Toney (b 1920) who I believe died in WWII, Beatrice (b 1921), Connie (b 1923), Frankie (b 1923) who I believe died in a house fire when he was 7), and Margarette (b Feb 1927).

I think that both Manuel and Mercedes died sometime between 1940-1950. On the 1930 census - Mercedes is listed as Martha.

The family was Catholic, from what I have been told. From what I have read on the forums, there was one Catholic church and one grade school in Spelter. Anyone have any ideas if either of these places has any records available?

Thank you to anyone who can provide any help. This website has already provided so much information and I have only been reading for about 3 hours now!

Thanks again,

Jason Martinez
Medina, Ohio
Last edited by jdmartinez on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Jason
The school is no longer there, but you could call the Harrison County Board of Education about record. The church in Spelter is Holy Family. It still there, but you need to call St. Ann's Catholic in Shinnston. That's where all the records are.
jdmartinez

Post by jdmartinez »

Ron,

Thanks for the information.

I found the 1920 census from WV. A Benjamin Alvez was living with them in Meadowbrook at the tme. He too was from Spain, and 25 at the time of the census (Feb 1920) - meaning he was born about 1895.

Jason

[/img]
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi jd. We share what is now the 11th most common surname in the US.

For anyone born in Spain after 1871 you can write to the appropriate registro civil for a birth certificate. What you want is a partido de nacimiento literal - a xerox copy of the original document, not an extract.

It can be slow, especially now that some of the employees are on strike. Be sure to write in Spanish, to direct you inquiry to the appropriate local registro civil, and to be patient. There is no charge (in stark contrast to getting equivalent documents in the US). For births before 1871, you will have to write to the appropriate parish church.
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hi jd!

The name you mention, Miranda, could refer to a town near the Avilés county, which in fact belongs to Avilés county. You can find references about Miranda in the forum, as there were many people from Miranda who emigrated to the States.

So it could refer to the place where your great grandfather was born.

Regards,

Ana
jdmartinez

Post by jdmartinez »

Thank you for the help so far.

Here is some new information that I have linked together after reading some more on here.

I found Manuel's Ellis Island papers - he came here in July of 1916 and then went to Kansas. From there he moved to Meadowbrook sometime between then and summer of 1918.

I will check into the Miranda stuff - thanks for the tip

Jason

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”