La Vallina - Samartín de Laspra

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Bob

La Vallina - Samartín de Laspra

Post by Bob »

My grandmother was born in Samartín de Laspra (San Martín de Laspra) in a neighborhood called La Vallina in 1895. When I tried to find her place of birth during a visit to Asturias, I was told that the house no longer exists. I would appreciate any help in locating the La Vallina neighborhood of Samartín de Laspra on a map so that I can try again during my next visit, even if it means only being able to locate the former site of the house.
jbarbo

La Vallina

Post by jbarbo »

Bob,

I am including a map of La Vallina neighborhood in San Martin de Laspra. We
had family living in "La Vallina", Marino Garcia and family. On your next trip
ask for 'Cookie de la morena' who lives in San Martin and he will show you
the location. My family lived in "El Cueto". Our forefathers had to know one
another in San Martin. My great grandmother was Maxima Margollez de la
Campa.

Bob

Post by Bob »

My grandmother's grandmother was Teresa Álavarez de la Campa, from Samartín de Laspra.
jbarbo

San Martin de Laspra

Post by jbarbo »

Bob,

My great grandmother, Maxima Margollez de la Campa parents were:

Father: Francisco Margollez Barredo, Villaviciosa

Mother: Rosa Moralia de la Campa Garcia, San Martin de Laspra

Moralia's parents were:

Father: Bernardo de la Campa, San Martin de Laspra

Mother: Juana Garcia Fernandez, San Martin de Laspra

San Martin, in those days (1850-1900), had to be very small and everyone
knew one another or were related. I know that some of the 'Campas'
moved to Sevilla. Maximas' two brothers lived in Havana, Cuba.

I was able to get copies of birth, death and marriage certificates from the
Registro Civil and from the church in San Martin. My family homes are still
there, along with a number of properties.
Bob

Post by Bob »

My grandmother was Josefa (always called Sena) Fernández Inclán (born 1895 in La Vallina, San Martín de Laspra).

My grandmother's mother was María Inclán Álvarez, 28 years old and a citizen of San Martín de Laspra when my grandmother was born (She would have been born about 1867.) María's parents were Francisco Inclán Diaz, (a native of Laspra) and Teresa Álvarez de la Campa (also a native of Laspra).

My grandmother's father was Manuel Fernández González (San Martín de Laspra). His parents were Gabriel Fernández González (from Gozón, probably Samartín de Podes) and Josefa González (from Laspra).

That's as far back as my records go.

Given the size of the populatino in the 1800s, it seems very likely that we are distant cousins through at least one family line
serastur

Post by serastur »

Buenas tardes:
Yo me llamo Sergio, vivo en San Martin de Laspra concretamente en la Vallina, la verdad que estas personas que comentas me suena de escuchar hablar de ellas, quizas cuando pueda enseñarle este foro a mi padre conozca estas personas y algun familiar que aun este por San Martin de Laspra o alrededores.
Un saludo.
Bob

La Vallina

Post by Bob »

Hola Sergio,

Sí, mi abuela nació en La Vallina, cerca de la iglesia de Samartín de Laspra.

Un abrazo desde Rockport, Massachuetts, y New Haven, Connecticut, al otro lado del charco.
Josep Manuel Álvarez

Post by Josep Manuel Álvarez »

To Robert Martinez, from a possible relative

Hello!
We are probably related. First of all you should apologize me for my english.

A few days ago, a relative gave me a photocopy of the birth certificate of my great-grandfather, José Álvarez de la Campa Galán, who was born in San Martín de Laspra (la Vallina) on 28.02.1832 and had as brothers Tomás (1824), Ramona(1827) and Teresa (1829). Searching on the internet site of the la Vallina I found the Asturian-American migration forum.

I am Josep Manel Álvarez de la Campa Fayos and I was born in 1964 in Barcelona. My parents are José Álvarez de la Campa Balbuena and Montserrat Fayos Olivares. I have two brothers: Álvaro (1966) and Montserrat (1968).

My father, José Álvarez de la Campa Balbuena, was born on 15.08.1921 in Madrid. He had four brothers: Ana María,Manuela, Eulogio and Fernando. His parents were José Álvarez de la Campa Romero de Castellón and Ana Balbuena Gómez.

My grandfather, José Álvarez de la Campa Romero de Castellón,was born in Marchena (Sevilla) on 3.10.1879. He had at least one sister, Carmen. His father was José Álvarez de la Campa Galán and his mother Manuela Romero de Castellón Serrano.

It is therefore very likely that Teresa Álvarez de la Campahas as second surname Galán and she was sister of my great-grandfather.

I am married to Antonia Crespo Reina and we have three children: Elena Álvarez de la Campa Crespo (Barcelona, 1991),Mercè (1993) and Joan (2003).

If you want, I could send you scanned the birth certificates of my grandfather and my great-grandfather.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cordially,
Josep Manuel Álvarez de la Campa Fayos
Bob

scanned documents

Post by Bob »

Yes, I would very much like to see the scanned documents. I send you a private message earlier with my email and other contact information. Please let me know if you received it.

Bob
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Bob, I realized today that we may be related. I have a Josefa Díaz from San Martín de Laspra, probably born around 1780 and died before 1830 in San Cristóbal (Avilés). I'm trying to find more information on her here: https://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewto ... 5140#25140

I'm wondering if it being such a small village that there may have been just one Díaz family lineage.

The reason it took me so long to notice this was that in one of the mentions of her, she was listed as being from San Martín de los Pimientos, which is evidently another name for San Martín de Laspra.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, my grandfather told me may years ago that San Martín de Laspra was also calle San Martín de los Pimientos. My grandmother, Josefa Fernández Inclán, lived in La Vallina. The only Diaz in my family I know of is her maternal grandfather, Francisco Inclán Diaz. He was married to Teresa Álvarez de la Campa. My grandmother had a madrasta [stepmother], but I don.t know her name.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I suppose it's possible, too, that Francisco Inclán Diaz came to La Vallina from somewhere else.

Have you any info on your lineage further back than Francisco Inclán Diaz? Or have you tried to find any data on further back in the tree?

Are you aware of any talk of your family having Jewish or Sephardic roots?
Bob

Post by Bob »

That's as far back as I have been able to find information, although it was some time ago. I'll start searching anew. I have no information either way about Sephardic ancestors. My father and two of my uncles had names that appear in Hebrew religious literatiure - Isaac, Michael, and Gabriel.

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”