Pinnick Kinnick Hill Stirs Memories

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Ken Menendez

PK Hill book

Post by Ken Menendez »

Pinnick Kinnick Hill (PK HILL) is a must read book. I purchased the book from the West Virginia University press. Read it in one sitting with my mind wondering about the lives of my grandparents in Spelter in early 1900's. Grandparents were Joe and Carmen (Gonzalez) Menendez and Joe and Viola (Hickman) Alvarez. Joe Menendez and his sons (my father Andrew "Pike", Frank "Bucks" and Joe Jr) worked in the zinc plant in Spelter. My other grandfather, Joe Alvarez, owned the grocery store, pool room in Spelter (in the 1930's it was called the "recreation hall" as it had a bowling alley, pool room, barber shop, grocery store, bar). His sons (Joe Jr, Arthur and Donald) elected to leave the area after WWII. Only his two daughters remained in Spelter (my mother and her sister Ruth Jean (Book). My father's cousin, Victor Gonzalez, was once the mayor of Anmoore.

Some of the events mentioned in the book reminded me of events that I had heard of from my family.

This book has brought me back to my heritage and love that I always had for the Spanish folks in Spelter. These were the ones that came from Spain and settled in Spelter. Great hard working and honest people.

Ken Menendez
Overland Park, KS
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'll second Ken's appreciation for Pinnick Kinnick Hill (Las colinas sueñan en español). The book gave me a good sense for the life my grandparents had in their early years here in the US. Given that I never knew my grandmother at all, and barely knew my grandfather, this is a great gift.

One of my aunt's (who grew up in the Asturian community in Anmoore in the 1930s) recently read the book and also found it exciting. She's now sharing the book with her sons.

Even if you're not a big reader, if you have an interest in the Spanish immigrant story, you'll probably find PK Hill is very easy to read. Gavin Gonzalez's stories evoke images of a period in American history which is now long gone. Nonetheless, the basic themes it deals with are still relevant today: immigration policy, prejudice, creative adaptation to new situations, family and clan cohesiveness, choice of work, workers' rights and unions, and more.

This fall, I'm going to take my Asturian cousins a copy of PK Hill as a gift. I think they'll enjoy reading it (the book was published with both Castilian and English version, appearing side by side). Their husband/father/grandfather was born in Anmoore, WV and spent several years there before his mother moved the family back to Avilés.

If you'd like to support this forum, you can do so at no cost to yourself by using one of our affiliate links whenever you buy from Amazon and a number of other businesses. The following link will take you to PK Hill on Amazon:
Pinnick Kinnick Hill on Amazon.com

Other other affiliate links:
http://www.asturianus.org/affiliateLinks.html

----------

Estoy de acuerdo con Ken. Pinnick Kinnick Hill (el titulo en castellano: Las colinas sueñan en español) me dio una impresión muy fuerte de la vida que mis abuelos tenieran en sus primeros años aquí en EU. Considerando que yo nunca conocía a mi abuela en absoluto, y apenas conocía a mi abuelo, para mi, esto es un gran regalo.

Una de mis tías (quienes crecieron en la comunidad asturiana en Anmoore en los años 1930) recientemente leyó el libro y también le entusiasmó muchísimo. Ella ahora comparte el libro con sus hijos.

Incluso si no te gusta leer mucho, si tienes un interés a la historia española inmigrante, probablemente encontrarás que el libro PK Hill (Las colinas sueñan en español) es muy fácil para leer. Las historias de Gavin González evocan las imágenes de un período en la historia americana que haces muchos años no existe. Sin embargo, los temas básicos de que trata son todavía relevantes hoy: la política de inmigración, prejuicio, adaptación creativa a nuevas situaciones, coherencia de familia y de clan, opciónes de trabajo, los derechos de los trabajadores y sindicatos, y más.

Este otoño, voy a llevar a mis primos asturianos el libro PK Hill (Las colinas sueñan en español). Pienso que a ellos les gusta leerlo (el libro fue publicado tanto en castellano como en inglés, apareciendo espalda con espalda). Su marido/padre/abuelo nació en Anmoore, West Virginia y pasó unos años allí antes de que su madre trasladó a la familia a Avilés.

Si le gustara apoyar este foro, puedes hacerlo sin cuesta a ti por usar uno de nuestros enlaces afiliados cuando compres de Amazon.com o otros negocios. El enlace siguiente va al libro PK Hill (Las colinas sueñan en español) en Amazon:
Pinnick Kinnick Hill en Amazon.com

Una lista de nuestros eslabones afiliados:
http://www.asturianus.org/es/affiliateLinks.html
Last edited by Art on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Manuel Lavin

PK Hill

Post by Manuel Lavin »

I ordered the book through amazon.com -thanks again internet- and I really enjoyed. I feel very proud of what the asturians made in USA, as you Ken say honest people that made great hard work.
This xmas hollydays I bought the movies -DVD version- 'The Godfather' from Francis Fosd Coppola and 'Once upon a time in America' from Sergio Leone, I think a better movie may be done with the story of Pinnick Kinnick Hill.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I believe this will be the next book I'll be ordering from Amazon.com. From the posts I have been reading in this forum, Pinnick Kinnick Hill must have been one of those very special mining towns, with close-knit families, where children are brought up to be decent, hardworking and respectful - in short - perfectly fit for life anywhere . I believe the people who grew up in mining towns share a common heritage the world over. Years ago, when still a teenager, I read "How Green was my Valley" and was stunned to see how similar those Welchmen's lives and values were to our own Asturian ways (including the many miners' choirs).
I wonder if the author has thought about translating the book and publishing it in Spain (or in Asturias, at least)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Creo que éste será el próximo libro que pida a Amazon.com. Por los mensajes que he estado leyendo en este foro, Pinnick Kinnick Hill tiene que haber sido uno de esos pueblos mineros especiales, con familias unidas, donde los niños se educaban para que fueran gente decente, trabajadora y respetuosa - en resumen: capaces de encajar y vivir en cualquier parte. Creo que la gente que se crió en pueblos mineros comparten una herencia común en todo el mundo.
Hace años, cuando aún era adolescente, leí "Qué verde era mi valle" y me quedé asombrada al ver lo parecidos que eran las vidas y los valores de aquellos galeses a los nuestros en Asturias (inclusive los muchos coros mineros).
Me pregunto si el autor habrá pensado en traducir el libro y publicarlo en España (o al menos en Asturias).

Saludos
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Well, the author is long dead, but the book was translated into Castilian. The English and Castilian pages alternate, one on the left, the other on the right. It is a charming book. And I've heard it reads better in Castilian than in English!

We've sent the publisher info about possible outlets in Spain and Asturias, but don't think anything was done about that--yet.

I was hoping we could get a review of the book in a Spanish publication, and had contacted 3 writers. But so far that's not occurred, either. Maybe you'll be the one, Terechu!

Our afiliate link for it is:
Pinnick Kinnick Hill on Amazon

Let us know if you can use that in ordering from the continent.

------------
translated by Art & Reverso

Pues, el autor esta muerto hace muchos años, pero el libro fue traducido en castellano. El inglés y castellano alternan: un a la izquierda, el otro a la derecha. Es un libro encantador. ¡Y he oído se lee mejor en castellano que en inglés!

Hemos enviado la información al editor sobre salidas posibles en España y Asturias, pero parece que no hacen nada sobre esto - aún.

Esperaba que podríamos conseguir una revisión del libro en una publicación española, y nos habíamos puesto en contacto con 3 escritores. Pero hasta ahora esto no es ocurrido, tampoco. ¡Tal vez será tu, Terechu!

Nuestro eslabón de afiliate para ello es:
Pinnick Kinnick Hill en Amazon

Avísenos si usted puede usar esto en el ordenamiento del continente.
Last edited by Art on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Art, although I have not yet read the book, I believe the subject itself is interesting enough to apply for official sponsorship from both the City of Avilés (most of these emigrants seem to have been from the Avilés area) and the regional government of Asturias. These government bodies have large budgets for cultural activities, which they often misinvest in useless stuff. I would also contact other private sponsors who might be interested in funding its publication for tax deduction purposes. I'm thinking of the mining company Asturiana de Zinc (after all the alma mater of many of those emigrants) and CajAstur (Asturian Savings and Loan, who have loads of money to invest). I can help with the letters.
As to publishing a review, you are too kind, but I'm no writer. At all events, if these people agree to sponsor the project, they will make sure that it is published in every newspaper and broadcast over every TV and radiostation.
-----------------------------------
Art, aunque aún no he leido el libro, creo que el propio tema es lo suficientemente interesante para solicitar subvenciones oficiales tanto del
Ayuntamiento de Avilés (parece que la mayoría de los emigrantes eran de la zona de Avilés), como del gobierno del Principado de Asturias. Estos organismos tienen grandes presupuestos para actividades culturales, que a menudo invierten en cosas inútiles. Yo también contactaría con otros patrocinadores privados que pudieran estar interesados en financiar esta publicación por motivos de desgravación fiscal. Estoy pensando en la empresa minera Asturiana de Zinc (al fin y al cabo el alma mater de muchos de aquellos emigrantes) y CajAstur (Caja de Ahorros de Asturias, que tiene mucho dinero para invertir). Yo os puedo ayudar con los escritos.
En cuanto a publicar una reseña, eres muy amable, pero yo no soy escritora. De todos modos, si esta gente accede a financiar el proyecto, ya se encargarán ellos de que se publique en todos los periódicos y se difunda por todas las emisoras de televisión y radio.

Saludos
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's a very interesting idea, Terechu! You're obviously much more aware of how things work in Asturias that we are. I have passed your idea on to the publisher. Thanks!

-------

¡Qué idea tan interesante, Terechu! ¡Eres obviamente mucho más consciente cómo las cosas funcionan en Asturias que nosotros! He pasado tu idea al editor. ¡Gracias!
jomaguca

las colinas sueñan en español

Post by jomaguca »

Yo por suerte he leido el libro porqué mi prima DONNA SWEENEY se lo mandó a mi padre ,es un libro precioso con unas historias qué hoy en día no se dan ,porqué le gente se hizo de otra manera ,y lo voy a volver a leer porqué lo leí enseguida osea quería acabarlo pronto y tengo que leerlo con más paciencia ,lo qué sí puedo decir qué también me reí un poco cuando aquella niña enseñaba el trasero :lol: lo de como conocimos a mí prima Donna es una muy interesante qué algún día la voy a contar ,pero fué gracias a otros primos y a internet.saludos :lol:
jomaguca

Post by jomaguca »

Esto va para ART, yo te voy a dar una pequeña idea ,tú qué tienes amistad con la periodista ELISA CAMPO ,le puedes pedir qué te heche una mano para poder vender el libro aquí ,no te parece?ella seguro qué conoce a JUAN CARLOS LA MADRID,qué es un HISTORIADOR muy entendido en la historia de los asturianos inmigrantes a AMERICA,esa es mi modesta idea y los dos colaboran en la página wed de avilésenlahistoria.com ellos yo creo qué pueden hacer algo ,a mí parecer. :roll:

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”