Outono Cultural in Bual (Boal) / Fall Culture in Bual

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

is

Outono Cultural in Bual (Boal) / Fall Culture in Bual

Post by is »

Miguel Rodriguez Monteavaro has written to announce that his association, the Asociacion Xuvenil Mezá, has put together a program for the Outono Cultural (Fall cultural program) in the beautiful West Asturian mountain town of Bual (Boal).

This is a typical slated-roof community overlooking the Navia River. The town has a a literary tradition (Carlos Bousono, the poet, was born here), a Celtic hillfort (castro de Pendia) and a museum dedicated to beekeeping and the deep-red local heather honey (miel d’uz). The dates are October 25, November 29 and December 13 (2008).

The first event will take place on October 25 (this weekend) as part of the Honey Festival. Diego Pangua and the Asturian folk music group Felpeyu will play bagpipes, bozoukis, bodhrans and flutes at 11pm.

On November 29, there will be more bagpipes and a talk about the Asturcon or garrufeiro horse, an ancient pre-Roman breed, by David Martin. In the evening, at 6pm, Astur Paredes will give a talk about traditional architecture in County Bual, followed by a concert by Verdasca, a local folk music group.

Finally, on December 13, at 12am, Xose Miguel Suarez will give a talk on famous county bagpipers and Xose Anton ‘Ambas’ (the ethnomusicologist of Asturian public television’s ‘Camin de Cantares’) will talk about the oral traditions of Bual and its neighboring counties.
DancingBrook

Post by DancingBrook »

Astur Paredes not only has a great name, but he is a great Asturian asset and resource, behind much if not most of the work of La Fundación Belenos <http://www.asturies.com/belenos/>

I was very fortunate to get a personal architectural tour with him a few years back (even accomodating my limited spanish)

It sounds like a great program; If it were all over a single week, I'd consider making the trip. Maybe Miguel should consider this. I hope all who are able to participate have a great time, and if you go from the states, bring Astur some real Maple Syrup and tell him it was suggested by an old friend. He'll know who.

And for those who can't make it at all, consider ordering Asturies, Memoria Celta:
http://www.asturies.com/belenos/celta.htm
is

Post by is »

Actually, DancingBrook, Astur Paredes is not the only maple syrup enthusiast in Asturias. I've brought some back a few times and find I am asked for more. And they don't want the Aunt Jemimah stuff, but Grade A pure Vermont maple syrup.

Here's the program for the Outono Cultural in Bual, for those in the neighborhood this fall:

October 25
23:30
Felpeyu
Éste é ún dos grupos más veteranos da
escena folk asturiana. Vei presentar nel
occidente asturiano el sou último trabayo
“Canteros” (Tierra, 2008).
(Enmarcao dentro da Feria del Mel)

November 29

12:00
David Martín Cisneros (Asociación de Criadores
de Ponis de Raza Asturcón): “El asturcón
roxo ou gurrufeiro”.
18:00 h.
Ástur Paredes:
“Arquitectura tradicional en Bual”.
20:00
Verdasca
Agrupación ben moza que xa ganóu concursos
de música tradicional tan importantes como
“Mostra y Folclor Ciudá d’Uvieo” y “Cidrerie
du Terroir” d’An Oriant/Lorient, Francia.

December 13
12:00
Xosé Miguel Suárez:
“Gaiteiros, cuartetos y outros
músicos populares
nel estremo occidental d’Asturias”.
Tuenda
20:0020:0 h.
Trío que reelabora a música del Archivo de
Tradición Oral de Xosé Antón Fernández,
“Ambás”
. Este conxunto vei mostrarnos, en
esclusiva nel occidente asturiano, el sou
segundo disco “Tuenda2” (Tierra, 2008)).
18:00 h.
Xosé Antón Fernández “Ambás”:
“Música tradicional nel occidente asturiano”.
Asociación Xuvenil Mezá (organizers)
DancingBrook

Post by DancingBrook »

Actually Astur prefers Dark Amber from NH. :wink: yet given the current political environment I might opt for Canadian.
is

Post by is »

DancingBrook wrote:Actually Astur prefers Dark Amber from NH. :wink: yet given the current political environment I might opt for Canadian.
Goes to show, Astur knows his maple syrup. Hell, my palate is less discriminating even if I wouldn't switch to Canadian so quickly...

Watch this video, in Spanish, about the Navia River Valley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQp2I5EtaZY

The Asturian government is promoting West Asturias, and specifically this valley, as a tourist route because of the wild landscape and history. It starts in Puerto Veiga (Puerto de Vega) and makes its way inland through Bual all the way up to the Celtic hillfort of Chao Samartin, in County Grandas de Salime.

It's obviously done by an advertising agency, hence the 1970s style all-inclusive, packaging (from golf to Neolithic sites, from surfing to apiculture), but you can still get a sense of this beautiful part of Asturias.

I wish for once the Asturians knew how to market what they have properly and intelligently. But it seems like the easiest thing in the world is to use stereotypes and cliches. An ad agency in Ontario could have done a better job...
Bob

Post by Bob »

As far as maple syrup goes, carefully chosen grade B is much better than the somewhat insipid grade A. It has a richer, deeper flavor.

There is also a hickory syrup made by one small firm in the American midwest that is very good, not on pancakes and waffles, but as a somewhat smokey addition to sauces, stews, etc.
DancingBrook

Post by DancingBrook »

Grade B works fine for me; more flavor, less money.
DancingBrook

Astur

Post by DancingBrook »

For those who don't know him, here is a photo of him, and others:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doilacara/2968338469/

holding a sign saying:
"yo doi la cara pola Oficialidá"

Could someone translate please.
Bob

Post by Bob »

To translate the sense rather than the literal meaning, it means "I favor making Asturian an official language." There is a project afoot to have as many people possible post their photos on a website, all of them holding the sign.
DancingBrook

Post by DancingBrook »

Thanks Bob,

It seems we have a chore to do. Here is a link to a sign:
http://public.me.com/dancingbrook

Print it out, take a photo of you with the sign, and then upload it.

Ironically, last I knew, Astur was an internet luddite, though I'd assume he has had to change with the times.
DancingBrook

Post by DancingBrook »

I should have known to look first; this effort has already been initiated here: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2514

Return to “Music - Música”