Regina Fernández desde Toledo

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

Regina

Regina Fernández desde Toledo

Post by Regina »

Hola a todos,

Descubrí hace un par de años esta página y la suelo visitar con relativa frecuencia pero hoy he decidido pasar a la participación activa.

Me llamo Regina y soy asturiana, llevo muchos años fuera estudiando, trabajando (Toulouse, Valencia, Paris, Albacete) y actualmente llevo ya siete años viviendo en Toledo, pero en cuanto tengo un fin de semana largo me escapo a Asturias donde sigue viviendo mi familia.

Me encanta leer vuestras historias, porque en cierto sentido, me siento identificada, mi abuelo paterno y sus hermanos emigraron a Cuba, mi abuelo retornó a Asturias pero sus hermanos se quedaron en Cuba y hoy una buena parte de la familia vive en Cuba y en USA.

Siento no poder escribir en ingles, porque es muy malo así que si por favor alguien puede traducirlo le estaré muy agradecida.

Estoy encantada de contactar con todos vosotros. Saludos cordiales

--------------------
trans. Art

Hello everybody,

I discovered this website a couple of years ago and visit it relatively often, but today I decided to move to active participation.

My name is Regina and I'm Asturian. I have lived outside of Asturias for many years, studying, working (Toulouse, Valencia, Paris, Albacete), and now I have been living for seven years in Toledo. But as I have a long weekend, I escaped to Asturias where my family still lives.

I love reading your stories, because in a sense, I identify with them. My paternal grandfather and his brothers emigrated to Cuba. My grandfather returned to Asturias but his siblings remained in Cuba and today a good part of my family lives in Cuba and the USA.

I feel unable to write in English because my English is bad, so if someone would please translate it, I would be very grateful.

I am delighted to get in contact with you all. Best wishes!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Regina
First let me welcome you to the forum. We have two things in common: I can't read or write Spanish, and my grandmother had a brother (Manuel Arrojo) who lived and died in Cuba. I've been using Google to translate a lot of the posts that are in Spanish. It's a big help. I never thought of translating English to Spanish. Thanks to Barbara I'm trying it.

I, too, like to read the stories that are posted. Some of them take me back to the days of my youth. The posting on bread baking is one of those posts. My grandmother (Aurora Arrojo Vásquez) baked every week. She would cut up chorizos, put them in the bread dough, then bake the bread. When she took the bread out of the oven, the smell was wonderful. I'm going to try this, Barbara.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translation tweaked by Art (Sorry Ron!)

Regina,

En primer lugar, permítame darte la bienvenida al foro. Tenemos dos cosas en común: no puedo leer ni escribir el español, y mi abuela tenía un hermano (Manuel Arrojo) quien vivió y murió en Cuba. He sido usando Google para traducir muchos de los mensajes que están en español. Es una gran ayuda. Aunque nunca pensé de traducir del inglés al español. Gracias a Barbara, voy a intentarlo.

Yo también me gusta leer las historias que se publican. Algunos de estos me llevan a los días de mi juventud. El mensaje sobre el pan horneado es uno de estos mensajes. Mi abuela (Aurora Arrojo Vásquez) hizo pan cada semana. Cortaría algún chorizo, lo pondría en la masa del pan, y luego lo hornearía. Cuando sacó el pan del horno, el olor era maravilloso. Voy a intentar esa traducción, Barbara.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Regina!

Ron, unfortunately, the Google translations aren't really good enough to use without editing. If they misinterpret one word the whole meaning of a sentence can be destroyed or even reversed. But your Spanish might be good enough to edit what Google creates. One thing I notice when I use machine translators is that if I make a mistake in spelling or grammar, Google can't translate it. I can't blame Google for that!

------------------------

¡Bienvenida, Regina!

Ron, por desgracia, las traducciones de Google no son suficientemente fiel para utilizar sin edición. Si malinterpreta una palabra, todo el sentido de una frase puede ser destruido, o incluso invertido. Sin embargo, tu capacidad en español podría ser lo suficiente para modificar lo que crea Google. Una cosa que me doy cuenta cuando uso cualquier traducción automática es que si cometo un error en la ortografía o la gramática, Google no lo puede traducir. Pues, no puedo echarle la culpa a Google de eso.
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Hi Art,

I realize that Google isn't perfect (you mentioned that in a previous post) but for for us, who don't write in Spanish, doesn't it help at all? I see what you wrote, but doesn't it give the reader a sense of what we are saying? This is the only tool for those of us who want to offer it in Spanish, but can't write it.

Barbara
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I think there is a big difference between using Google as a tool and using it to post messages.

If we know a little of both languages, when we read Google's translation, we can generally make sense of the gobbly-gook. When someone doesn't know anything about the other language, they won't be able to guess what the problem was with the translation and correct it. That makes for very difficult conversations.

Posting raw machine translations to the forum will impede rather than help communication.

Yes, there is another option. If there's something that needs a translation, please ask one of those who can to help you. It's a lot easier in the end for everyone.

---------------------------

Creo que hay una gran diferencia entre usar Google como una herramienta y utilizarlo para enviar mensajes.

Si sabemos un poco de ambos idiomas, cuando leemos la traducción de Google, en general, podemos hacer sentido de las estupideces. Cuando alguien no sabe nada de la otra lengua, que no será capaz de adivinar lo que sea el problema con la traducción y corregirlo. Eso hace muy difícil las conversaciones.

Pegando en bruto las traducciones automáticas en el foro impedirá en lugar de ayudar a la comunicación.

Sí, hay otra opción. Si hay algo que necesita una traducción, por favor, solicite la ayuda de una de las personas que pueden ayudarte. Al fin y al cabo sería mucho más fácil para todos.
Miriam Fernandez

Re: Regina Fernández desde Toledo

Post by Miriam Fernandez »

Hola Regina,

Podríamos ponernos en contacto para saber si nuestras familias tienen algún lazo que las vincule. Yo tengo pocos datos de mis antepasados asturianos y estoy buscando toda la información posible para cumplir un deseo de mi padre.
Saludos,
Miriam
lcall

Post by lcall »

Dear Regina,
I am planning a trip to Asturias and will be leaving in a few weeks. I am wondering if I have any distant relatives still living there. My maternal great grandmother's brother was living there in the 1950s outside of Oviedo with his family. His name was Jose Fernandez and he had a daughter named Regina Fernandez. They had property and grew fruit, made some wine and had some animals on thier farm. My parents went to visit them for a few days with thier first 2 children Frank and Leigh. My mother was pregnant with my brother Roger and I was not born yet. Jose took my father all around the area to meet friends--my dad was a fighter pilot at the time and everyone was excited to meet him. The Fernandez' were so nice and hospitable to my family. It would be a miracle if you are the Regina Fernandez I am looking for, but if you are not, perhaps you may be able to point me in the right direction in finding my long lost relatives. There was also a Carmen and aunt Maria in the famly.
Sincerley,
Linda Call

Linda
Miriam Fernandez

Re: Regina Fernández desde Toledo

Post by Miriam Fernandez »

Me llamo Miriam y soy nieta de asturiano. Mi abuelo paterno viajó a Cuba y aquí vivían sus hermanos también. Sus restos están en el cementerio Colon de La Habana.
Mi abuelo se llamaba Bernardo y le decían Lico. Sus hermanos Covadonga, Enriqueta y José. Sus apellidos: Fernández Huerta.
Mi padre antes de fallecer me pidió que tratara de encontrar datos de su familia. El quedó huérfano cuando era muy pequeño y no sabia nada de su familia paterna, tampoco de la materna.

Después de su muerte yo me he sentido en la obligación de tratar de cumplir su deseo. A veces pierdo las esperanzas, pero luego vuelvo a la carga.

Espero con ansiedad tu respuesta.

Saludos.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Miriam, el apellido Fernández literalmente significa "hijo de Fernando". Había muchos hombres llamados "Fernando" en España en la época en que la gente empezó tomar apellidos. La mayoría no estaban relacionados. Por lo tanto, buscar para la familia mediante la búsqueda del apellido Fernández tendrá muy poco probabilidad de tener éxito. Mi abuela tuvo el mismo apellido también. ¡Somos muchos!

Terechu tuvo una idea mejor: usar la guía telefónica y buscar para Fernández Huerta. Hay otras herramientas descritas en este tema:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3375

En caso de que alguien quiere conectarse con Miriam, su hilo principal está aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3185

----------------------------

Miriam, Fernández literally means "son of Fernando". There were many men named "Fernando" in Spain in the period when people began taking last names. Most of them were not related. So looking for family by looking for other Fernándezes is highly unlikely to be successful. My grandfather had the same last name, too. There are a lot of us!

Terechu had a better idea: use the telephone directory and searching for Fernández Huerta. There are other tools decribed in this thread:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3375

In case anyone wants to connect with Miriam, her main thread is here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3185
Regina

apellido Fernández

Post by Regina »

Hola a todos,

Efectivamente el apellido Fernández es muy frecuente en España y sobre todo en Asturias, siento deciros que tanto en el caso de Linda como en el caso de Miriam no tengo parentesco con su familia, ya que los nombres de la familia no coinciden con familiares míos.

La única forma de que podáis localizar a vuestros familiares sería a través de las páginas blancas pero será un trabajo complicado porque como os comentaba el apellido Fernández es muy común.

Un saludo cordial

-------------------

Hi all,

Fernandez's name is actually very common in Spain and especially in Asturias, sorry to say that both in the case of Linda as in the case of Miriam I have no relationship to his family, as family names do not match my family.

The only way that you can locate your children would be through the white pages but it will be a tricky business because as I said Fernandez's name is very common.

Kind regards

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”