Using Spanish accents on Windows / Utilización de acentos

Have a question? Run into a problem on the site? Please tell us.<br>
¿Tienes una pregunta? ¿Topaste un problema en el sitio? Dinos.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Using Spanish accents on Windows / Utilización de acentos

Post by Art »

[Art: updated 08/29/2011]

This message explains how to make a Windows computer do the accents used in Spanish.

In Windows 7, you can add different foreign languages to your PC by going to "Start", then "Control Panel." Click on the link that says "Change keyboards or other keyboard methods," which appears below the category for "Clock, Language, and Region." The "Keyboards and Languages" tab will appear. Then at the top of that window, choose "Change keyboards". In the next window you can add languages. You should see that you already have "English (United States)" selected and under that, under "keyboard", there should appear "US" (or, if you open the add a new option the keyboard option will appear as "US - Default"). Next you need to select a Spanish language. I recommend using "Spanish (Spain, International Sort) then under "keyboard", check the box that says "US". You'll also see that under "Other" an option for "Ink Correction (64-bit only)" may have been automatically selected. I think that's normal. If you click on "OK", they will be installed.

In Windows Vista, you can add different foreign languages to your PC by going to "Start", then "Control Panel", then "Regional and Language Options". Choose the "Keyboards and Languages" tab, then at the top of that window, choose "Change keyboards". In the next window you can add languages. You should see that you already have "English (United States)" selected and under that, under "keyboard", there should appear US (or, if you open the add a new option the keyboard option will appear as "US - Default"). Next you need to select a Spanish language. I recommend using "Spanish (Spain, International Sort) then under "keyboard", check the box that says "United States - International". If you click on "OK", they will be installed.

In Windows XP, you can add different foreign languages to your PC by going to "Start", then "Control Panel", then "Regional and Languages". Choose the "Languages" tab, then at the top of that window, choose "Details". In the next window you can add languages. I use "English (United States)" and "Spanish (Traditional Sort)". If you click on "Okay", you should have them installed.

In Windows 98 (at least Second Edition), you go to "Start", then "Settings", then "Control Panel", then "Keyboard". Choose the "Language" tab, then click on Add. You'll probably want to use "Spanish (Traditional Sort)" or "Spanish (Modern Sort)". Click "Okay", then make sure you have selected a key sequence for switching between languages (I like "left-Alt" and "Shift"), and click on "Okay" again. I've never used this option in Win98, but I'm pretty sure that will work.

To use these different languages, you can click on the little "EN" or "ES" icon that appears in the bottom of the screen (there are other options, too). I generally just press the left "Alt" and "Shift" to switch from one language to the other. (There are other options you can set for this, too.) Each time I start my computer, I have to change the language for each program in which I want to use Spanish. But it's extremely easy: Just hold the "Alt" key and then press the "Shift" key. So, if you change the language for Word, your system will still use the default language for any other programs until you change them, too. (You could, of course, change your default language for all programs.)

After you do that, the program gives you an easy way to type accented and other foreign characters. In every case, all you have to do is add a special key before you type a normal key.

In Spanish, for example:
  • ¿ (upside down question mark) - hold the "Alt" key down and then press the "?"
  • ¡ (upside down exclamation mark) - hold the right "Alt" key down and then press the "!"
  • € (Euro sign) - hold the right "Alt" key down and then press the "n"
  • ñ - hold the right "Alt" key (there are two!) down and then press the "n" (or "Shift" and "n" to type a capital "Ñ")
  • é - press the " ' " (single quote) key (do NOT hold it down) and then press the "e" (or "Shift" and "e" to type a capitol É)
  • í - press the " ' " (single quote) key (do NOT hold it down) and then press the "i" (or "Shift" and "i" to type a capitol Í)
  • ö - press the " " " (double quote) key (do NOT hold it down) and then press the "o" (or "Shift" and "o" to type a capital Ö)
The other accents follow the same patterns.

The only problem with this method is that if you want to type a single quote (') or double quote (") and the next letter could carry an accent, the system will type the accented letter instead of the quote mark. But there are two easy solutions:
  • Turn off the foreign language (hold "Alt" and press "Shift") until you need that language feature again.
  • Type a space immediately after the quote mark. The space won't appear, but it will force the quote to appear.
[Update July 2011: I still use this technique.]

----------------

[Art: puesto al día 29/09/2011]

Este mensaje explique como se puede hacer que un ordenador de Windows [?Ventanas?] hace los acentos usados en español.

[Art: no sé los nombres de comandos en español.]

En Windows 7, se puede añadir diferentes idiomas a su PC por ir a "Start" (¿"Inicio"?), luego al "Control Panel (¿"Panel de control"?). Haz clic en el enlace que dice "Change keyboards" (¿"Cambiar teclados"?), que aparece debajo de la categoría de "Clock, Language, and Region" (¿"Reloj, idioma y región"?). La etiqueta de "Keyboards and Languages" (¿"Teclados y lenguajes"?) aparecerá. Luego en la parte superior de la ventana, elige la opción "Change keyboards" (¿"Cambiar teclados"?). En la siguiente ventana se puede agregar idiomas. En los EE.UU, probablemente ya está seleccionada "English (United States) (¿"Inglés (Estados Unidos)"?) y abajo de ésta para "Keyboard" (¿"Teclado"?) probablemente aparezca "US" (¿"EE.UU."?) (o, si se haz clic en "Add..." (¿"Añadir..."?) para añadir una nueva opción, la opción de teclado aparecerá como "US - Default" (¿"EE.UU. - Default"?). A continuación, tienes que seleccionar el idioma español. Recomiendo el uso de "Spanish" (Spain - International Sort)" (¿"Español (España, alfabetización internacional)"?) y luego para "Keyboard", (¿"Teclado"?), marque la casilla que dice "United States - International" )(¿"Estados Unidos - Internacional"?) También tal vez verás que abajo de "Other" ("¿"Otro"?) ya está seleccionada automáticamente una nueva opción, la opción de teclado "Ink Correction (only for 64-bit)" (¿"Corrección de tinta (sólo 64 bits)"?). Creo que es normal. Si haces click en "OK" (¿"Sí"?), serían instalados.

En Windows Vista, se puede añadir diferentes idiomas a su PC por ir a "Start" (¿"Inicio"?), luego al "Control Panel (¿"Panel de control"?), luego al "Regional and Language Options" (¿"Configuración regional y de idioma"?). Elije la opción de "Keyboards and Languages" (¿"Teclados y lenguajes"?), luego en la parte superior de la ventana, elige la opción "Change keyboards" (¿"Cambiar teclados"?). En la siguiente ventana se puede agregar idiomas. En los EE.UU, probablemente ya está seleccionada "English (United States) (¿"Inglés (Estados Unidos)"?) y abajo de ésta para "Keyboard" (¿"Teclado"?) probablemente aparezca "US" (¿"EE.UU."?) (o, si se haz clic en "Add..." (¿"Añadir..."?) para añadir una nueva opción, la opción de teclado aparecerá como "US - Default" (¿"EE.UU. - Default"?). A continuación, tienes que seleccionar el idioma español. Recomiendo el uso de "Spanish" (Spain - International Sort)" (¿"Español (España, alfabetización internacional)"?) y luego para "Keyboard", (¿"Teclado"?), marque la casilla que dice "United States - International" )(¿"Estados Unidos - Internacional"?) Si haces click en "OK" (¿"Sí"?), serían instalados.

En Windows XP, se puede añadir idiomas extranjeros diferentes a su ordenador personal por ir a "Start" ["Comenzar"?], luego al "Control Panel" ["Panel de control"?], entonces "Regional and Languages" ["Regional y Lenguas"?]. Escoja la etiqueta de "Languages" ["Lenguas"?], luego en lo alto de aquella ventana, escoja "Details" ["Detalles"?]. En la ventana siguiente se puede añadir lenguas. Uso "English (United States)" ["inglés (de los Estados Unidos)"?] y "Spanish (Traditional Sort)" ["español (clase tradicional)"?]. Si se pulsa la tecla "OK" [?], se debería tenerlos instalado.

En el Windows 98 (la al menos Segunda Edición), se va a "Start" ["Comenzar"?], luego "Settings" ["Ajustes"?], entonces al "Control Panel" ["Panel de control"?], entonces al "Keyboard" ["Teclado"?]. Escoja la etiqueta de "Language" ["Lengua"?], luego pulse sobre "Add" ["Añadir"]. Probablemente se querrá usar "Spanish (Traditional Sort)" [español (clase tradicional)?] o "Spanish (Modern Sort)" ["español (clase moderna)"?]. Haga click sobre "Okay" [?], y luego asegúrese que se ha seleccionado una secuencia de teclas [para cambiar entre las lenguas (me gusta el "Alt"- izquierdo y el "Shift" ["Cambio"?]), y haga click sobre "Okay" [?] otra vez. [Hay dos teclas "Alt". Sóla una funciona así.] Nunca he usado esta opción en Win98, pero estoy bastante seguro que trabajará.

Para usar estas lenguas diferentes, se puede pulsar sobre el pequeño "EN" ["ING"?] o el icono "ES" ["ESP"?] que aparece en el inferior de la pantalla (hay otras opciones, también). Generalmente solamente pulso "Alt" [?] izquierdo y "Shift" [Cambio?] para cambiar de una lengua al otro. (Hay otras opciones que se puede poner para esto, también.) Cada vez que enciendo el ordenador, tengo que cambiar el idioma de cada programa en que quiero usar español. Pero es muy fácil: simplemente sujeta la tecla "Alt" mientras que pulsas la tecla "Shift". Por lo tanto, si cambias el idioma en Word, el sistema todavía utilizará el idioma por defecto para cualquier otros programas hasta que los cambies también. (Se puede, por supuesto, cambiar el idioma por defecto para todos los programas.)

Después de hacer esto, el programa te proporciona una manera fácil de escribir los caracteres acentuados y otros caracteres extranjeros. En todos los casos, sólo tienes que añadir una clave especial antes de escribir una clave normal.

En español, por ejemplo:
  • ¿ (signo m de interrogación al revés) - sujeta y mantén la tecla "Alt" a la derecha (¡hay dos!) y luego haz clic en "?"
  • ¡ (signo de exclamación al revés) - sujeta y mantén la tecla "Alt" a la derecha y luego presione el botón "!"
  • € (símbolo del Euro) - sujeta y mantén la tecla "Alt" a la derecha y luego pulsar la tecla "n"
  • ñ - sujeta y mantén la tecla "Alt" a la derecha y luego haz clic en la tecla "n" (o "Shift" y "n" para escribir una mayúscula "Ñ")
  • é - presione la tecla " ' " (comillas simples) (no lo mantenga pulsado) y luego haz clic en "e" (o "Shift" y "e" para escribir un É con mayúscula)
  • í - presione la tecla " ' " (comillas simples) (no lo mantenga pulsado) y luego haz clic en "i" (o "Shift" y "i" para escribir un Í con mayúscula)
  • ö - presione la tecla " " " (comillas dobles) (no lo mantenga pulsado) y luego haz clic en "o" (o "Shift "y "o" para escribir Ö con mayúscula)
Los otros acentos siguen las mismas pautas.

El único problema con este método es que si deseas escribir una comilla simple (') o comilla doble (") y si la letra siguiente podría llevar a un acento, el sistema escribirá una letra acentuada en lugar de la comilla. Pero hay dos soluciones fáciles:
  • Apagar la lengua extranjera (mantenga la tecla "Alt" y haz clic en la tecla "Shift") hasta que necesites la lengua extranjera de nuevo.
  • Escribe un espacio inmediatamente después de la comilla. El espacio no aparecerá, pero obligará que la comilla aparece.
[Actualización de julio de 2011. Todavía uso este método.]
Last edited by Art on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Spanish Language Input for WINDOWS 200 Users

Post by Suronda »

There's just one slight modification for WIN 200 users. There is no "language tab" available so.....

To have access to the Spanish language characters: 1) Go to the Start menu 2) select Settings 3 )select Control Panel 4) select Keyboard 5) select INPUT LOCALES 5) opt for Spanish (traditional sort) - and they should install as Art stated.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Xuacu (in a post here: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=993#993 recommended a very helpful Web page that describes options for using accents on your Windows keyboard.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I just discovered a new program for entering accented and special (e.g., inverted question mark) Spanish characters into a word process or email program. Once installed, the program can be loaded and will sit on top of your word processor or email program. It has a small window of its own, which you can place either at the top or at the side of your text. A simple mouse click enters any special character directly into your word processor or email.

The program is only $15 ($10 for students--they take your word for it) and is totally free for universities, colleges, other schools, and libraries, as well as teachers and staff of educational institutions and libraries. For paid users, there is a 30-day free trial period. In addition to Spanish, the special characters for French, German, Italian, Catalan, Italian and several other languages are provided. It is easy to switch among them. Each language has only its own special characters, and is not burdened with those you will not use.

Based on my short experience with it, it is ideal for those who use an English language keyboard, but want a quick and easy way to enter special Spanish characters into documents or email.

Go to http://www.less-mess.com/Foreign_choices.htm and download the program.

Bob Martinez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for sharing that interesting find, Bob!

A similar program is built into Windows, but it isn't as user-friendly. I'd only recommend the following ideas if you're really parsimonious or you rarely need the foreign characters because there are faster and easier solutions. Although I did the following for years!

At least in Win XP, you go to click on Start (bottom right corner of the screen usually)>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. It's similar in the other Windows operating systems.

Then to use the Character Map, you click on the character you want to use. Doing this will display in the lower right corner of the Character Map, the key strokes you can use to add the character with a key sequence. (é, for example can be added to a message by holding the Alt key while typing 0233.) If you can remember this, you don't need the character map the next time.

Another way to use the Character Map is to click on the letters, or a series of letters you want to add to your document. Then you click on "select", and then on "copy". Return to whatever you're typing, and "paste" (hold the Control key while pressing "v" -- or go to Edit>Paste in the menus at the top of the screen). This will add what ever you copied into the document.

That's not nearly as simple and elegant as the program Bob is recommending, but it is free and built into most operating systems.

I'm still using the method I suggested in the first post of this series. It works very well for my needs. It's faster than the Character Map's copy and paste method, and it requires less memory (of the kind in my brain) than memorizing all the special sequences listed in the Character Map.

---------------

[No sé como aparece Windows en Castellano, entonces adivino con los nombres de operaciones. Lo siento.]

¡Gracias para compartir aquel hallazgo muy interesante, Bob!
Un programa similar es construido en Windows, pero no es como fácil usar. Sólo recomendaría las ideas siguientes si eres realmente tacaño o necesita usar los caracteres extranjeros muy poco porque hay soluciones más rápidas y más fáciles. ¡Aunque yo hiciera lo siguiente durante años!

Al menos en el Win XP, hacer click "Principio"(??) ("Start" la esquina bajo derecha de la pantalla ("window") general)> Programas> Accesorios> Instrumentos de Sistema>Mapa de Caracteres. Es similar en otras sistemas de operaciones de Windows.

Entonces para usar el Mapa de Caracteres, hacer click sobre el carácter que quieres usar. Haciendo esto mostrará en la esquina baja derecha del Mapa de Caracteres los golpes claves que puedes usar para añadir el carácter con una secuencia clave. (é, por ejemplo puede ser añadido a un mensaje por sosteniendo la llave "Alt" mientras escribiendo a máquina "0233".) Si puedes recordar esto, no necesitas que usar el Mapa de Caracteres la próxima vez.

Otro modo de usar el Mapa de Caracteres es de pulsar sobre la caráctar, o una serie de caracteres que quieres añadir al documento que escribas. Entonces hacer click sobre "escogido" (?? "Select"), y luego sobre "copia" (?? "Copy"). Vuelte al documento que escribes, y lo pegue" (sostiene la llave de Control mientras presionando "v" - o ve a Corregir(??)>Pegar(??) en los menús en lo alto de la pantalla). Esto añadirá al documento el carácter que copiaste en el Mapa de Caracteres.

Esto no es ni con mucho simple y elegante como el programa que Bob recomienda, pero es gratis e esta incorporado en todos de los sistemas de operaciones Windows, creo.

Todavía uso el método que sugerí en el primer poste de esta serie. Esto trabaja muy bien para mis necesidades. Es más rápido que el método de copiar del Mapa de Caracteres y pegar, y esto requiere menos memoria (de la clase en mi cerebro) que la memorización de todas las secuencias especiales catalogadas en el Mapa de Caracteres.

Return to “Need Help? - ¿Precisas ayuda?”