FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
Vicente Fox, former President of Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Asturian Hall of Fame - Sala de fama asturiana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
is

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank the lucky stars that Berodia cleared this one up because I was just as confused as everybody else.

Tio in colloquial Castilian Spanish means guy/dude, but Raquel took it literally to mean uncle, which led to the question about nephews and nieces, followed by Art's explanation of his extended trans-continental family.

In Asturias tio is not really used. The Asturian words would be rapaz or puntu or paisanu. But Bertin is using Castilian Spanish slang, which is probably what he sees and hears on Spanish television. It's not used the same way in Cuban Spanish.
Raquel M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Hola! Reply with quote

Yo entendi todo desde el primer momento pero le escribi eso en esa forma para hacerlo reir.

Yo no he escrito en Cubano/Espanol todavia !!!

"Acere, que bola !!! " ( Amigo, como estas? )

I understood the meaning, but I wrote that to make him laugh!

I have not written in Cuban/ Spanish yet !!!!

My friend, how are you ? ( Acere, que bola ! )
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cuban/Tampa accent to me is clear and easy to understand, although different from what I am used to. At Latin night (all in Spanish) at the Dali Museum the docent switched to English only for "sea urchin" (erizo o oricio). The new woman in my life, Meredythe, speaks no Spanish whatsoever, but found a group of anglofalantes to read the plaques with.
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that explains it. I only looked in my own messages to see where "uncle" or "tío" appeared. Thanks again, Berodia!

------------------

¡Ah, eso lo explica bien. Solamente busqué en mis propios mensajes para ver dónde "uncle" o "tío" apareció. ¡Gracias de nuevo, Berodia!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Asturian Hall of Fame - Sala de fama asturiana All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: