Translating forum messages / Traducir los mensajes del foro

Topics that are out of date or are no longer of interest.<br>
Temas que son anticuado o ya no tienen intéres.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Translating forum messages / Traducir los mensajes del foro

Post by Art »

Dear Friends,

Many of our members read only English or only Spanish (castellano), and are therefore unable to read and respond to many of the interesting posts from our members, who--much to our delight--write not only in those languages, but in asturianu as well. We are writing to ask your help.

In an effort to make our website more useful to all, we would like to begin translating all posts into both English and Spanish (castellano).

As you may have noticed, we have been experimenting both with direct translation and with modified (tweaked) machine translation using Reverso. While Reverso is by far the best of the translation programs we have found, it still leaves much to be desired, and its output needs to be "tweaked". To cite only one rather humorous example, using Reverso to translate private messages to one of our members led her to wonder why the writer was discussing his tapeworm infestation in such detail. The problem turned out to be that the writer had left off an accent, and "tenía" became "tenia", something that the computer program cannot deal with, but that is quite obvious to anyone who reads both languages.

You will not be alone! We hope to form a team of translators who will share the work. If you are willing to help, please let us know. Whether by direct translation or by "tweaking" a machine translation, your help would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Suronda, Bob, and Art

-------------------------
Translated by many!

Estimados amigos:

Muchos de nuestros miembros leen solo en inglés o solo en español, y por lo tanto no pueden leer o responder a la mayoria de los envios de nuestros socios, quienes--cosa que nos complace--escriben no solo en estas dos lenguas, sino también en asturiano. Por esta razón solicitamos tu ayuda.

En el empeño de hacer de nuestro sitioweb un lugar más útil a todos, nos gustaría empezar a traducir los envios a ambas lenguas: inglés y castellano. Como puede haber observado, hemos estado experimentando ambos con la traducción directa y también con el programa "Reverso” (aunque todavía hay que modificarlo un poco). Con diferencia, "Reverso" es el mejor de los programas de traducción que hemos encontrado, aunque deja mucho que desear y sus resultados precisan retocar. Para citar un ejemplo divertido, usando este programa en mensajes privados, uno de nuestros miembros ha llegado a preguntarse porque el escritor discutió su "plaga de tenia" detalladamente. El problema es que convirtió "tenía" en "tenia", olvidando el acento, con la consiguiente confusión; algo que el programa informático no pudo resolver, aunque sería una cuestión obvia para un lector bilingüe.

No estarás solo en hacer la traduccion. Esperamos formar un equipo de traductores que compartiremos el trabajo. Si desea ayudarnos, no dude en hacernoslo saber. Ya sea de manera directa o a través del programa informático, tu apoyo será bien recibido y muy apreciado.

Sinceramente,

Suronda, Bob, and Art
Last edited by Art on Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuanLeon
Translator

Post by JuanLeon »

Si quisiera traducir algún mensaje, ¿cómo lo haría? ¿Simplemente enviando una respuesta? Noto que Bob añade traducciones directamente tras el texto oriiginal, pero eso puede que sea poder especial por ser tio majo.

If I wanted to translate a message, would I do it just by posting a reply? I notice that Bob adds the translation immediately after the original text, but that may be a special power delegated to good fellows.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

You ask a very good question. I've just returned from a wonderful trip to Asturias, so I thihk we're about ready to get the translations moving.

This may change, but I think we've decided that we'll have volunteers choose an area of the site to translate. To make it more fun and less lonely, we're hoping to pair Castellano and English speakers so we'll each be in a team that can consult with each other.

When someone finishes translating a message, they'll email the translation to one of the moderators, who will paste the translation into the message (which will look much like what you've seen Bob and I doing). That's a little awkward, but we've not come up with a better idea yet.

We'll be posting something very soon and sending a message to everyone who responded.

Thanks for your continuing interest!

-----------
Reverso translation (tweaked by Art)

Haces una pregunta muy buena. Acabo de devolver de un maravilloso viaje a Asturias. Pienso que somos casi listos de empezar las traducciones.

Esto puede cambiarse, pero pienso que hemos decidido que los voluntarios escogerán un tema del Web para traducir. Para hacerlo más diversión y menos soledad, esperamos "formar parejas"* hablantes de castellano y ingles. Así formará un equipo que puede consultar el uno con el otro.

* [Carlos explica abajo que lo que escribí antes ("aparear") sería demasiado alegría en un foro así.]

Cuando alguien termina de traducir un mensaje, enviará por correo electrónico la traducción a uno de los moderatores, y el moderator pegará la traducción en el mensaje (que parecerá como lo hacemos ahora Bob y yo). Esto es un poco torpe, pero aún no tenemos mejor idea.

Nosotros fijaremos algo muy pronto y enviaremos un mensaje a cada uno que respondió.

¡Gracias por seguir con interés!
Last edited by Art on Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos

Hahahahaha!

Post by Carlos »

Art, en español "aparear" es juntar un ejemplar de sexo masculino con otro de sexo femenino, normalmente buscando la reproduccción. Quizás quieres aumentar la proporción de astur-americanos...

Art, in Spanish "aparear" is to join some person or animal of masculine sex with another one of feminine sex, normally searching reproduction. Perhaps you want to increase the proportion of Asturian-Americans...
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hmm... a Freudian slip perhaps.... That illustrates the dangers of machine translation.

My dictionary suggested that "aparear" can mean "to pair up". Maybe you can only use that sense of aparear with objects? I suppose I should use "formar parejas" or "agrupar por parejas". I'll stick one of those in the place of aparear.

Thanks, Carlos. If you weren't so good at constructing gaitas, you really should have been an academic! Even when your posts are long, they're very interesting.

-------------
Reverso translation (tweaked by Art)

¡Um! ... un lapsus linguae quizás.... Esto ilustra los peligros de traducción automática.

Mi diccionario sugirió que "aparear" pueda significar "to pair up". ¿Tal vez sólo se pueda usar aquel sentido de aparear con objetos? Supongo que debería usar "formar parejas" o "agrupar por parejas". Pegaré uno de aquellos en el lugar de aparear.

Gracias, Carlos. ¡Si no estuvieras tan bien en la construcción de gaitas, realmente deberías haber sido un académico! Incluso cuando tus postes son largos, son muy interesantes.
Last edited by Art on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
evina
Translator

Post by evina »

Hi, everyone! I'm really interested in this translation thing, the problem is i'm a waitress and i don't have much time :( . I hope you guys can help me work it out!
I'll be around if you need me!

Kisses... :wink:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola a todos! Me interesa mucho esto de la traducción, el problema es que soy camarera y no tengo mucho tiempo libre :( . Espero que me podais ayudar a solucionarlo!
Estaré por aquí si me necesitáis!

Besines... :wink:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Several of us, including Fredo and Terechu, are translating the non-forum pages now. We're going to have totally Spanish pages for tnose sections of the site. If you would like to help with this short-term project let me know!

------------

Varios de nosotros, hasta Fredo y Terechu, traducimos las páginas que no son del foro. Al fin, serán páginas completmente castellanas para esas partes del sitio. Dime si te gustaría ayudar con este projecto a corto plazo.
Anastasia

Yo...

Post by Anastasia »

Last edited by Anastasia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hello, Anuski,
Oh, don't worry. We only ask you to translate if you're able to do it. We're happy that you post messages!

------------

Hola, Anuski,
Pues, no te preocupes. Sólo se ruega que los traduce si puedes hacerlo. ¡Estamos contentos que pones unos mensajes!
Leto
Translator

Re: Translating forum messages / Traducir los mensajes del f

Post by Leto »

Hi Art! Hi everybody!
My name is Lucia and I arrived here by chance. My mum has being telling me about the website for ages, so finally I had a look. I still haven’t gone through the entire site, but I found the message about the translation and I am very interested.
:)
I am Spanish but have been living in England for almost 2 years. For the last 3 years I have been developing translation and interpretation skills. Please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Hola Art! Hola a todos!
Me llamo Lucia y llegue aquí por casualidad. Mi mama lleva anos hablándome de la página, así que por fin me decidí a visitarla. Todavía no lo he visto todo, pero encontré el mensaje sobre la traducción y estoy muy interesada.

:)
Soy española, pero llevo casi 2 años viviendo en Inglaterra. Durante los últimos 3 años he estado mejorando mis conocimientos en traducción e interpretación. Por favor, dime si puedo ayudar en algo.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I hope everyone has noticed the great work Leto has been doing in translating messages. Leto, you're fantastic!

A warm welcome to Leto, althought it's a little late!

----------------

Espero que todos han dado cuenta del trabajo de Leto en traducir mensajes. ¡Leto, eres fantastica!

Una bienvenida cariñosa al foro, aunque sea un poco atrasada.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

This thread has been updated with a new one: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 1772#11772

Thanks to all of you who have helped with translations!
------------------------

Ese tema ha sido reemplazado por un nuevo:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 1772#11772

¡Gracias a todos quienes han ayudado con traducir!

Return to “Retired Threads - Hilos retirados”