Blanco family

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Judy

Blanco family

Post by Judy »

My paternal grandfather was Restituto (Tuto) Blanco. From the information that I have he was born in La Fabrica de Arnao. Does anyone know if this is within the region of Asturias? He had seven brothers and one sister. He and his brother, Cirrillo, lived in Zeising. The rest of his family lived in the DePue, IL area and there are many Blancos still there. His sister, Maria Rosario (Marina), married Benino Artime. They owned a restaurant in Gary, Ind. in the late 40's and early 50's. I know that it had a spanish name but can't recall it. Would anyone by any chance be familiar with the name of the restaurant?
Judy
Bob

Post by Bob »

Arnao (Arnau in Asturian) is located ion the coast of central Asturias in the concejo of Castrillon, just west of Salinas, and not too far from Piedras Blancas. Aviles, one of the three largest cities in Asturias, is only a few miles distant.

My father was born in Ziezing, WV. I'll ask him if he remembers your family. Do you know what years your father and uncle lived there?

Artime, by the way, is my grandfather's mother's surname. He was born in Salinas. His mother and her parents were from Gozon, although she was living in Salinas at the time my grandfather was born.

Bob Martinez
Judy

Blanco Family

Post by Judy »

From the ship manifest it indicates that my grandfather, Restituto Blanco, arrived in this country in October, 1907 with his wife Consuelo Aizpuru Blanco. They went to St. Louis. MO but I don't know how long they stayed there. I do know that my father, David Blanco, was born in Zeising in 1915 and his youngest sister, Margaret, was born in 1920 there also. Throughout my father's childhood they did some moving around but he graduated from high school in Clarksburg in 1934 and they remained in Zeising until 1963. As for his brother, Cirrillo, I know that he lived in Zeising until sometime in the 50's.
I don't have any information at all on my great uncle, Benino Artime. I seem to recall that it was said that he came from a different region than Asturias.
Carlos

Artime

Post by Carlos »

Hi Judy.

It is possible that your great uncle Benino Artime came to the USA from another region different than Asturias, but this is not equivalent to say that he were not an Asturian. This hypothetical region can be a previous step on his definitive destination. The real thing is that the family name Artime is genuine Asturian, very frequent in the Cape Peñas region, situated between the cities of Avilés and Gijón. Some of the forum members have this last name, or have relatives with him, and are from direct Asturian origine with all certainty.

Regards from Asturies. 8)
Bob

Post by Bob »

My father remembers David Blanco from Ziezing, and thinks that David was about two years older than he is (My father was born in 1917). He can't remember much about him, since his family moved away from Ziezing in 1926. He also remembers hearing from his parents that David Blanco had married Lucy Suarez, and that they had a daughter (Julie?). He thinks the Blanco family either lived in Northview, WV, for a while or moved there.

Bob Martinez
Judy

Post by Judy »

Bob,
Your father has a good memory. My father was in fact two years older than your father. My mother was Lucy Suarez and I am the "Julie" he was referring to. My parents did live in North View, a suburb of Clarksburg from 1938 until 1950 when they moved to Bridgeport, WV. They had five children and I am the oldest. I believe you have had some contact with my sister, Mary Jo, via this forum. My father passed away in 1991 and my mother in 1997. Perhaps your father remembers my dad's older brother, Joe. My uncle, Cirrillo, who also lived in Zeising had two sons, Whitey and Julius. They were a little younger than your father so he may not recall them.
Judy
Judy

Post by Judy »

Carlos,
Thank you for your information on the Artime family. After further research I found that my uncle, Ben Artime, had a brother, Cabin Artime, who lived in Luanco (Susacasa).
Judy

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”