Spain On the Road Again

Visual arts with movement over time: film, video, etc.<br>
Artes visuales con movimiento que dura un periódo de tiempo: cine, video, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Betty

Spain On the Road Again

Post by Betty »

Has anyone else happened upon this PBS culinary piece? I stumbled upon it (airs at 4:00a.m.!) on my local WOSU PBS station. While it is first and foremost about food, consuming food and preparing food, there is alot of wonderful Spanish scenery while "on the road." AND guess what? Last episode took place in Asturias! Principals Mario Batali, Mark Bittman, Gwyneth Paltrow and Claudia Bassols travel together and apart all the while searching the best of local foods. Here is the description of the Asturias episode from their website www.SpainontheroadAgain.com:
Asturias is known for its rugged coastal cliffs and its mountainous interior—it’s a rough and tumble kind-of place, gruff and husky. Asturians, though, are some of the friendliest, warmest Spaniards around. Mario and Mark spent time with Pilar Sanchez, who could easily be considered the Ultimate Grandma, in her kitchen, cooking chicken and apples.
They also traveled through the mountains to make fabada, the iconic Asturian bean stew, with a group of generous, local chefs. Needless to say, Asturias, a bit like the tough guy with the big heart, is distinguished by the improbable combination of an aggressive landscape and a cozy spirit.
Personally I would have loved to have seen much more of the PICOS while they were there... but I loved it anyway. Great seeing Covadonga again! Also, it is so heart warming to see other parts of Spain we have visited and how they have changed, and stayed the same.

It is a soothing view that transports us to the beauty and good stuff in Spain. I can close my eyes and actually smell those dishes! This program also supports my newest resolution to avoid all the dismal, dour information that is pouring at us from every media.

AND - More Good News for me! Jose Andres' show will begin in our PBS market February 2nd!
Betty Vega
Bob

Post by Bob »

Mario and Gwyneth just published a book about food in Spain. I've corresponded with Mark Bittman a little (he wanted some of my recipes), and our son used to date his daughter. Small world.

My fabada recipe is in our food section at http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455 Try it, but don't waste your time on domestic beans. You want the real thing, fabes from Asturias, which are available from our affiliate La Tienda. They are quite expensive both here and al otru llau del charco, but worth every penny.

[Art: You can support the forum by using our affiliate link: La Tienda. Using this link won't cost you anything!]

Return to “Time Media Arts - Artes de medios temporales”