isabeau88

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

isabeau88

isabeau88

Post by isabeau88 »

Hi!
I found your site while searching for bollina recipes - and it was a difficult item to find info about - Kept getting "corrected" by the spell check and given alternate spellings!
I grew up in Ybor City in Tampa, Florida. It was a community of immigrants from Spain, Asturias, Galicia (and other provinces,) Italy, Cuba, etc. We all learned from each other and shared great recipes.
My abuela was from Asturias and my abuelo from Galicia.

I am glad to find this site!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Isabeau88!

I think we have a few members in Ybor City and certainly in Tampa. Our first Asturian conference was held there (and also near Orlando). Tampa struck me as a wonderful place, unusual for the numbers of Asturians living together in one place. Perhaps you had a charmed childhood!

-----------------------

¡Bienvenido, Isabeau88!

Creo que tenemos unos pocos miembros en Ybor City y, por cierto, en Tampa. Nuestra primera conferencia asturiana se celebró allí (y también cerca de Orlando). Tampa me pareció un lugar maravilloso, muy raro por el número de asturianos que viven juntos en un solo lugar. Tal vez tuviste una infancia encantada!
isabeau88

Post by isabeau88 »

Thank you!
Tampa and the Ybor City area is definitely a "charmed" place. There is a small Ybor City Museum that is a nice overview of the area's past. Across the street from there is Immigrants park, which has a lovely statue and a row of plaques bearing the names of some of the early residents of this area - my grandparents and god-parents are happily listed there. Our godfather, Julio Cuevas, had a coffee shop in central Ybor and on Saturdays we could smell the strong scent of roasting Cuban coffee wafting on the breeze, though the shop was about 16 - 20 blocks away.

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”