Our trip to Aviles: hotel, restaurant, sightseeing ideas

Restaurants, sights, lodging, festivals, etc.<br>
Restaurantes, lugares de interés, alojamiento, fiestas, etc.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

We are down to only three more weeks until we leave for Aviles! We are all very excited and can't wait to get there. Our plans have changed a little. All six of us will be spending two weeks in Aviles plus my son will be joining us for the last eight days. Can anyone give me some ideas on places to have good spanish food? Also what are the normal meal time there and what are the correct tipping practices? Also if anyone has other ideas or hints that might help I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Charolette
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Avilés has lots of good restaurants. If you walk around the old section, you'll see plenty of possibilities. It's almost a crime to list just a few.

Having said that, I'll list a few to get you started.

You'll find the very popular Casa Lin at Restaurante-Sidrería
Avda. de los Telares, 3, and Casa Moisés at Calle La Muralla, 4, both near Parque de Muelle. Both of these restaurantes-sidrerías have good Asturian seafood.

I had an excellent meal at the Restaurante-Sidrería Ría de Avilés at Calle La Estación, 12. The chef was quite good.

There's a very good one up in the Plaza de Carbayedo with very good traditional Asturian dishes on the lunch menu. I'm sorry that I don't know whether it's Carreño at Plaza del Carbayedo, 26, or Casa de Tataguyo at Plaza de Carbayedo, 6. Looks like I've got some homework to do!

[Thanks to Ana's correction: I've removed La Araña at Plaza Carbayo, 15, and La Curuxa at Plaza Carbayo, 16, which are in a different plaza.]

I usually read the menu to see if they're serving something I'm interested in. Friends and family will also suggest places, so ask the people you meet.

Tipping is different in Spain. I think you tip if the meal or service is very good, but a minimal amount. Maybe someone else can explain it better. I usually ask for advice myself.

As I recall (could be wrong) lunch is at about 2 pm and the evening meal at about 8 or 9 pm. Someone else will know better. I just eat!

In some places there are more restaurants offering the lunch meal than the dinner meal. I think that may be true of in most of Asturias. I've learned to eat a good meal at lunch in Asturias in case I'm left with few options at night.

---------------------------------

Avilés tiene un montón de buenas restaurantes. Si caminas alrededor del casco viejo, verás un muchas posibilidades. Es casi un crimen listar unos pocos.

Dicho esto, voy a mencionar algunos para empezar.

Encontrarás el muy popular en el Restaurantes-Sidrerías Casa Lin en la Avda. de los Telares, 3, y Casa Moisés en la Calle de la Muralla, 4, cerca del Parque de Muelle. Ambas restaurantes-sidrerías tienen muy buenos platos asturianos de mariscos.

Comí una excelente comida en el Restaurante-Sidrería Ría de Avilés, en la Calle de La Estación, 12. El chef es muy bueno.

Hay una muy buena en la Plaza de Carbayedo con excelentes platos tradicionales asturianos en el menú del almuerzo (por la noche, menos). Lo siento que no sé si es Carreño en la Plaza del Carbayedo, 26, o Casa de Tataguyo en la Plaza de Carbayedo, 6. ¡Parece que tengo algunas tareas para hacer!

[Gracias a Ana por corregirme: he quitado La Araña en la Plaza Carbayo, 15, y La Curuxa en Plaza Carbayo, 16, porque están en otra plaza.]

Normalmente leo el menú para ver si hay de algo que me apetece. Tus amigos y familia también te sugieren lugares. Hay que pedir a la gente que encontrarás.

Las propinas son diferentes en España. Creo que si la comida o el servicio es muy bueno, dan un propina, pero una cantidad mínima. Tal vez alguien más pueda explicarlo. Normalmente pido el consejo de mis amigos.

Según recuerdo (puedo equivocarme) el almuerzo ocurre alrededor de las 2 pm y la cena a los 8 o 9 horas. Otra persona sabrá mejor que yo. ¡Sólo como!

En algunos lugares hay más restaurantes que ofrecen la comida de mediodía que la cena de noche. Creo que puede ser así en la mayoría de Asturias. He aprendido que hay que comer una buena comida a mediodía en Asturias en el caso de que hay pocas opciones por la noche.
Last edited by Art on Sun May 10, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hi!

Art, if you talk of Plaza del Carbayedo then you're referring to Casa Carreño or Casa Tataguyo. Both are good.

La Araña and La Curuxa are in Plaza del Carbayo (in Sabugo), next to Sabugo's old church. Nice place (my favorite in town) to sit down, relax and have a sidra outside. Really nice places, too.

Then, in Calle la Estación, besides Restaurante Sidrería Ría de Avilés, there're El Tayuelu and Casa Paco.

In Calle la Ferrería: La Madreña and Casa Alvarín.

In Calle Rui Pérez: La Posada

In Calle Galiana: El Nogal (really nice food at good price. It's opposite San Nicolás de Bari Church).

Next to the bus and train station there's La Cantina: go there to drink a vermú on Sunday (really, really nice).

Not to miss a visit for a menu is La Tenada (Illas), very near Avilés. Nice litlle town. The restaurant serves a set of different Asturian dishes for the same menu: fabada, kale, eggs and chorizo, carne guisada... I can't remember all of them, I lost the count when I began to eat the fries with egss and chorizo. I want to make myself understood: they serve all of them, you don't have to order just one. Plus the dessert. 100% traditional cooking.

I guess you'll go to La Maruca: then you can go to Las Cuevas de San José (nice place if you like sardines and the like). The restaurant is in Raíces Nuevo, less than 1 kilometer away from La Maruca to Salinas. I have to check this out, but I think they only open the evening. You can also go to La Panera (Salinas)

As Art have said you can have a look at the menu outside the restaurant (and the price, too).

About places to visit (apart from Avilés itself): I think guided visits in English are available upon request at the Tourism Office (Calle Rui Pérez)

Candás-Luanco- Cabo Peñas- Molín del Puerto
Cudillero-San Juan de la Arena-San Esteban de Pravia
Grao (the Sunday's market is really nice)
Oviedo
Gijón
Covadonga (Lagos de Covadonga, too)
Cabrales...

Best regards,
Ana
Last edited by Anuska on Sat May 09, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is

Post by is »

hi Charlolette,

I'll let Art, Ana and Bob guide you through the township of Aviles. But for places outside Aviles, specifically in the Cabo Penes area (County Gozon), there's a great eatery called 'La Fustariega'. Not sure what it means in Asturian, but it's a new-style cider house with great seafood and typical Asturian environment. You'll find locals drinking cider at the bar and out-of-towners having hearty meals in the open restaurant. The seaside village is Verdicio/Verdiciu, and the small country roads leading there are quite beautiful. Here's the restaurant website:

http://www.restaurantelafustariega.com/ ... cacion.htm

After eating there, it's a very nice hike along the coast from the beach of Verdiciu up toward Cabo Penes. I don't know what shape you're in, but it's a brisk walk up toward the cliffs. It's 100% worth it because of the beautiful sea views and Aviles, although near by, will be eons away as this is solidly rural.

In case you don't know Asturian food, just order the menu of the day with as much seafood as possible. Fritos de pixin (fried monkfish) is a bit expensive these days, but even simple chipirones (squid) will be delicious at La Fustariega.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

Art, Ana & Is
Thank you so much for your wonderful information. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to our trip! I have never been so excited about any trip or vacation.
Is... we want to explore all of Asturias, but Gozon is right on top of my list because that is where my Grandfather grew up!
We will try as many of your suggestions as possible. Thank you all again.

Charolette
taborneda2003

Post by taborneda2003 »

Charlotte,
There is an excellent place to eat in Illas. I was there in October and the food was good. I will have to look for the address. It was all typical Asturian food. It was served family style.
Selina Williams
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Yes, you're right Is!

La Fustariega is a great place. You can have lunch while enjoying a wonderful landscape.

And I forgot to mention Restaurante El Candil, in La Ferrería. Just another possibility, as well as Mesón de Salamanca (Calle San Bernardo) and Mesón La Rioja (Calle Palacio Valdés, near the theatre).

As for tapas or pinchos: El Maruxa, Bar Monterrey (both in calle la Fruta) and El Cafetón (delicious Spanish omelette pinchos).

As Art has said, all these restaurants are within the old section of town.

Then you can also find another kind of restaurants: Italian food, Döner Kebab (at least 5), Burger King and McDonald's. In Calle La Fruta there's La Competencia, where they serve a pizza portion for each drink you order.

Just in case you arrive during the last weekend of May, I let you know we'll be celebrating the Wine and Cheese Fair (and the Ceramic Show).

The price of the menu changes for the weekend. You can find lunch menus from 8,50€ on during the week. For the weekend prices soar up starting from 12,00€ (more or less, depending on the restaurant).

The usual thing is you can choose between 2 or 3 dishes as first course, 2 or 3 for second course and dessert. Drinks (water or wine) and bread are included (and usually coffee, too).

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Ana
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hi Taborneda!

The place you refer to may be La Tenada, which I mention in one of my posts. And it's true food is served family style.
Bob

Post by Bob »

If you are interested in Gozon, the restaurant at the very tip of the cape, next to the lighthouse, has decent food and magnificent views, and is inexpensive. I can't exactly recall the name right now, but it was something like Cuatro Vientos. Don't forget to walk to the edge of the cliff and look out on the surf crashing below. Toward the east are open meadows edged with berzas as boundaries.

The restaurant associated with Hotel Luzana(on calle la fruta) also has some tasty dishes. It general just explore and be adventuresome. It's difficult to get a really bad meal. Don't be afraid to ask the Avilesinos for advice on the best places to eat.

My advice it to stay more or less on American time to avoid jet lag, and do a little pub crawlings at night. Just listening in on the conversations at the surrounding table is fun.

Don't worry about cash. Your ATM card should work for cash withdrawals in most banks, and at a better rate than airport currency exchange.
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Good memory Bob!

Its name is Cuatro Vientos.

In the Gozón area I'd certainly go to eat a huge cachopo at Casa Paquín. The best cachopo ever.

I usually order half, 'cos my stomach wouldn't accept such a huge amount of food. But even my boyfriend and his friends have trouble to finish theirs. And it's not an expensive place.

In Luanco you can have tapas in the little bars down at the port or have a seafood paella in the Isla del Carmen restaurant or Ciaboga restaurant. Also el Robus restaurant is highly recommended.

In Candás, you'll also find a wide range of bars and restaurants. The most pictoresques are those at the port (El pescador, for example).
Bob

Post by Bob »

Two of the greatest disappointments in life are:

1) As we get older, we simply can't eat as much as we did in our youth (and still live).

2) I could live to be 200, move to Asturias, and never have time to explore every good restaurant.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Bob wrote:...Don't worry about cash. Your ATM card should work for cash withdrawals in most banks, and at a better rate than airport currency exchange.
Bob makes a good point.

Recently most credit card companies have increased the fee for purchases made outside the US, even online, but it's still an easy and relatively cheap method.

One of the last times I was in Asturias, my ATM card didn't work because I didn't know that I should have told the bank I would be traveling in Europe. You should probably tell your credit card company, too. They'll throw a switch so it will work.

Also, I think you'll need a four-digit (numbers only) password. If you have more digits or letters in yours, it'd be good to get that fixed now.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

We have been trying decide if we should get Euro's here or wait until we get there. Do you think the bank card is better than trying to exchange money when we get there? Is it difficult to exchange dollars to euro's in Spain? Here we have to order the Euro's in advance and all the banks have fees and shipping charges. Also do most places accept our credit cards?

Thanks
Charolette
Bob

Post by Bob »

Why exchange them at all? Just use your ATM card with its four digit code at any bank. I had no trouble whatsoever, ever ten years ago. and the surcharges were much better than those for buying euros in the EEUU, which is a ripoff, especially in airport money exchanges.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

You all are making me hungry!

Thanks for clarifying Plaza del Carabayedo and Plaza Carbayo, Ana. I've updated this list with her additional suggestions, too.

I've edited two addresses: La Posada and El Nogal. I could be wrong. ¿Could you check my work, Ana?

I put all the suggestions in one list so I can take it with me this summer.
If there are mistakes or omissions, let me know so I can edit it.

=================

Avilés - Restaurantes
Casa Lin, Avda. de los Telares, 3
Casa Moisés at Calle La Muralla, 4

Ría de Avilés at Calle La Estación, 12

Carreño, Plaza del Carbayedo, 26
Casa Tataguyo, Plaza del Carbayedo, 6

El Tayuelu, Calle la Estación, 12
Casa Paco, Calle la Estación, 51
El Poeta: Calle la Estación, 10; "crisis dinner menu" Thursday night 5€

La Madreña,Calle la Ferrería, 5
Casa Alvarín, Calle la Ferrería y Calle de Los Alas, 2

La Posada, Calle Ruiz Gómez, 12
El Candil, Calle La Ferrería, 29

El Nogal de San Francisco, Calle San Francisco, 14, opposite San Nicolás de Bari Church; great food, good price

La Araña, Plaza Carbayo, 15, Sabugo
La Curuxa, Plaza Carbayo, 16, Sabugo

Avilés - Tapas, Pinchos
El Maruxa, Calle la Fruta, 5 bajo
Bar Monterrey, Calle la Fruta, 27
El Cafetón, Sol, 8, cerca de Calle la Ferrería; Spanish omelette pinchos
La Tasca el Matu, Calle la Estación, 17; tapas

Outside Avilés
Las Cuevas de San José, Raíces Nuevo; sardines; possibly evenings only
La Panera, Avda. Campón, 60, Salinas

La Tenada, Callezuela, 16, Illas; family style set of different Asturian dishes for one price

La Fustariega, Verdicio/Verdiciu, Gozón
Casa Paquín, Perdones, Gozón; good cachopo
Cuatro Vientos, near lighthouse on Gozón

Isla del Carmen, Luanco; seafood paella
Ciaboga, Luanco; seafood paella
El Robus, Luanco

El Pescador, Cándas
Last edited by Art on Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel - Viajar”