ruleta astruianu?

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

tierradenadie

ruleta astruianu?

Post by tierradenadie »

elena desde valencia escribe:

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 3dae083b02

Hahahaha. In one hand I think you're crazy in the other I envy you. I've never heard about that (whoofs )before, it doesn't sound bad. I can image that if you are starting a new life in a new country with a new language it's a good idea to be a part of something.

Won't you miss civilisation?. Well, I bet it wouldn't be a problem for you.
In Asturias villages, as in any other small villages, you may not be wellcome. It´s a question of good luck. If they are happy they will love to have a germamerican with them, if they hate each other they will hate you the most.

Try to get to know the place and the people before you buy something. It's bad times for selling houses now. You may find good price houses but it would be very difficult to get rid of yours if you don't like the neigbours.

I've seen there are two farms in Asturias. Have you chosen one or you don't mind?

does that ring a(ny) bell? ~ peter
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hi tierradenadie!

That sounds terrifying! If I were you I wouldn't come :lol:

I guess that's something it can happen either in a rural or urban area. I can tell you that in the Campo de Caso/Infiesto area there're several foreigners (British, German and Italian) and they've been accepted without problems. Why shouldn't they? It's just a matter of living and let live.

Of course you can have an occasional problem with a neighbour, but that happens everywhere!

Regarding missing civilisation: we're not in the heart of rain forest. People have tv, telephone, internet... For example in my mum's village everyone has phone, but old people is not interested in having internet connection, which doesn't mean you can't have access to it.

What you'll be enjoying for sure is peace and silence.

Best regards,

Ana
is

Re: ruleta astruianu?

Post by is »

tierradenadie wrote:In Asturias villages, as in any other small villages, you may not be wellcome. It´s a question of good luck. If they are happy they will love to have a germamerican with them, if they hate each other they will hate you the most.
I tend to agree with Ana. Although it's true that small villages or hamlets can be socially challenging, I'd say that Asturians are extremely open in rural settings. Surprisingly so in comparison to places like Wyoming or Iowa or Garmisch. Still, there is a Spanish expression that goes like this: pueblo pequeno, infierno grande.

The best approach, in my opinion, is always to be friendly and consensus-seeking. It's not really worth the trouble making enemies where the concentration of people is so low. I'm sure you like to build things together with others, and so the overwhelming response will be to work with you.

My dream has always been to buy a farmstead and remodel it somewhere in West Asturias, either County Ayande or Grandas de Salime or Bual. But before buying anything, I'd certainly make sure what kind of neighbors I have and what can be a source of conflict (water, grazing rights, etc). Like Ana says, it's really about common sense.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think that some of the same thing happens here in the EEUU. It is relatively easy to integrate into a new urban setting or suburban neighborhood, but small towns are different. At least here in New England, the people in them tend to make a distinction between newcomers (maybe only 20 years or so ago) and lifelong residents whose ancestors are from the same place for generations. And our entire history is quite recent as compared to that of Asturias.
Llames

Post by Llames »

Asturians are one of the most friendly people in Spain. As elsewhere, you can meet with individuals who are not so friendly, but in general, foreigners are welcomed (either American or Asturian urbanites)

For my previous work to my doctoral thesis I walked for the councils of Uviéu, Illas, Caravia ... I was looking for Hill Forts that anyone had visited (or that nobody had written about them) for the last 58 years. I went to houses in rural areas and asked about "the buildings of the Moors" and the countrymen, before I got an answer, offered me some bottles of cider and some chorizo and cheese (all home-made). They wanted me to sit and eat and then we started talking. They always came with me, leaving what they had to do, and taught me what I want. I was 5 months touring the sites and, possibly, I was lucky enough to meet lovely people.

I think problems will arise, if they will, over time and with coexistence. But I ensure that the first word you hear is a sincere welcome. Do not worry and enjoy yourself.
Bob

Post by Bob »

When I visited Asturias with my father and by brother, once people realized we were of Asturian ancestry, we were welcomed as long lost relatives.
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Ana Lombao wrote: Regarding missing civilisation: we're not in the heart of rain forest. People have ...
servus ana, ¿¿selva¿¿ - qué selva. ¿no lo han cortando y transformado en más combustbustbustible para coches y personas que navegar la red? estoy pensando como voy a basarme en asturias. tal vez, en el principio, está mejor a encontrar y compra una minúscula, rota casita en un pueblo, fundamentalmente uno cuarto basta. por lo menos habrá agua y luz y una posibilidad de teléfono, si querría. entonces, desde allá puedo buscar un otro solar (con cabaña basica) in-the-middle-of-'nowhere', off-the-grid, sin luz, sin teléfono etc etc, pero donde puedo pasar cuando hace buen tiempo, y cultivar alimentos, cortar leña, o sólo *chill*, etc. podría ir de ida y vuelta. en lugar de ploughing all the dough in one 'bigger' place outside, en lugar de gastar todo mi dinero en una finca 'afuera' -- tengo que ver que hay. cualquier tipo y feedback siembre os agradecería. peter
Llames

Post by Llames »

Lo mejor es el periódico gratuito El Cero o preguntar por la zona, pero para que te hagas una idea del precio y lo que te ofrecen por tu dinero, mira aquí
http://www.fotocasa.es/Search/r5/result ... i=2&opi=37

Elige la zona, el precio, los metros, etc, etc. Puedes seleccionar que te salgan sólo viviendas o fincas con foto (está en la pestaña que pone MOSTRAR) y ya te haces una idea. Todo lo que esté en los dos extremos de Asturies o en la zona interior será mucho más barato que en la zona centro.

Suerte
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

I was 10 years old. We were at my mum's cousin's on holidays in Arriondas area, in a great little village, really nice and beautiful. I remember it was raining a lot that day. We were on the porch, chatting and having dinner, when a German couple and their daughter arrived. They were lost and needed a place to camp that night.

In that very moment my mum's cousin invited them to sit down and have dinner with us. Then she told them that, unfortunately, there was no room at home (we were 7 people for a 2 rooms house). They camped in the field next to the house, which belongs to my mum's cousin.

Guess what? They liked the place so much, they bought a field there and lived in a tent for several years, as they decided to build their own hórreo, an amazing one, by the way.

They're still living here. And most neighbours helped them during their first years here. They hardly spoke Spanish (fortunately my parents speak German) and their daughter learned Asturian straight away.

So don't be afraid of Asturians. We can be very nice and kind... :lol:
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Is wrote: It's not really worth the trouble making enemies where the concentration of people is so low.

hola iS, ¿quieres decir que es vale la pena cuando la población está más denso? jaja { me gusta la palabra "dense" ya que puede significa también: "burro".

Is wrote: I'm sure you like to build things together with others
oh, yes!
http://z.about.com/d/honeymoons/1/0/1/r ... aising.jpg

Is wrote: My dream has always been to buy a farmstead and remodel it somewhere in
¿qué te impide? laß es dir von einem alten knacker wie mir ans herz legen { & ohne mit gehobenem zeigefinger herumlaufen zu wollen }: iS, hazlo mientras tienes el poder! yo puedo mirar, year for year, como pierdo chispa { se dice así?? ... to lose steam} ~ tschüß iS, peter
is

Post by is »

Ana Lombao wrote:I remember it was raining a lot that day. We were on the porch, chatting and having dinner, when a German couple and their daughter arrived...Guess what? They liked the place so much, they bought a field there and lived in a tent for several years, as they decided to build their own hórreo, an amazing one, by the way.
That's a nice story, Ana. I liked the detail about the rain, too, because it makes it all very toasty. A former girlfriend of mine (German-American) also wondered at how nice people were in the Asturian countryside. It's very easy to talk to people almost anywhere, maybe because of the low population density (no pun intended, Peter).

Recently, in Turkey, I noticed the same kind of hospitality in the villages outside of Sinop. People offered us fruit from their trees or invited us into their houses for tea and crackers. Although my brother's Turkish is good, we weren't exactly the best communicators. But the Turkish farmers were exceedingly nice and happy to talk about their lives. Maybe it's just human?
is

Post by is »

tierradenadie wrote: laß es dir von einem alten knacker wie mir ans herz legen { & ohne mit gehobenem zeigefinger herumlaufen zu wollen }: iS, hazlo mientras tienes el poder! yo puedo mirar, year for year, como pierdo chispa { se dice así?? ... to lose steam} ~ tschüß iS, peter
Du hast Recht, Peter! Das ist immer mein Urtraum gewesen, aber ich bin staendig unterwegs u. muss daran denken wo genau, was genau fuer ein Haus, usw. Ich muss ausserdem warten bis der euro etwas billiger wird--das kommt noch. Jedenfalls, wir werden vielleicht eines Tages Nachbarn! Teil uns bitte mit wo du vorhast dich niederzulassen...

---

Yes, Peter, you're absolutely right. It's always been my dream. But I'm often traveling and need to think about where exactly and what kind of house/farm. Also, I'm waiting for the euro to depreciate, which could happen in 2009-10. Anyway, we could soon be neighbors. Let us know when you decide what place you have chosen...
Bob

Post by Bob »

For some years it has been my dream to buy a small place in Asturias and spend some time there every year, making it available to friends and family as well. However, we already have two homes to support and with the current economy, that is just going to have to wait.

----
Trans. Is

Hai dellos anos que suano con mercar un sitiu pequenin n'Asturies y poder pasar temporadines ehi tolos anos. Prestaria que vinieran collacios y parientes tamien. Pero tengo dos cases y tal como ta la economia, esti suanu va tener qu'esperar una migayina mas.
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Llames wrote: For my previous work to my doctoral thesis I walked for the councils of Uviéu, Illas, Caravia ... [...] I was 5 months touring the sites and, possibly, I was lucky enough to meet lovely people.
hola llames, ¡que precioso! ¿llevabas una tienda? ¿hacías unas fotografías? y, ¿qué dirías fue tu conclusión después habías terminado la excursión? tschüß, peter. p.d.: debido a vives en mallorca, que fue/está invadido por *fischköpfe* y *schuhplattler*, hablas {un poco de } deutsch, has sido 'infectado' {ya}?

1_ fishheads { eso se llama la gente desde norddeutschland }
2_ solespankers { pueees, mi propio traducción }: { eso se llama la gente desde süddeutschland }
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Ana Lombao wrote:I was 10 years old ,,, they were lost and needed a place to camp that night ,,, and lived in a tent for several years, ,,, They're still living here.
¡ ahhh, ana ! que maravilloso. suena como una cinta, pero la vida está { ¿es? } hasta más grande que la pantalla. aparte de la bici voy a traer una tienda pequeña en abril. estoy seguro resultará útil. supongo voy a pasar muchas noches en el principio durmiendo en la tienda, ya que no tengo nada refugio en asturias, y no conozco a nadie. pero ya sé como armar una carpa.

http://www.donsmaps.com/clickphotos/smalltent.jpg

servus, peter

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”