tacos

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

tierradenadie

tacos

Post by tierradenadie »

iS wrote: In my case, most events are mediated by English. But anger at drivers, for example, is Asturian. Shopping lists are in German. Mental notes of things in Russia/Ukraine are in Russian. And so on...

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 1457ca798f

¡por favor!, ejemplos.

{ todos astruianos, ¿cómo maldecís, y no sólo mientras manejando? ~ munches gracies }

----
Trans. Is

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 1457ca798f[/size]

Please provide examples.

{ In general, how do Asturians cuss? And not only while driving? Thanks }
is

Post by is »

It's not exactly road rage. I usually just cuss inside the car and it's pretty lame stuff, although sacrilegious. But here go a few examples of situations I tend to get on Asturian country roads:

Cagonros, ya esti que fai? [I shit on 'Ros', what's this guy doing?]
Si ho, tu yes mui gayu, hala tira p'alantre... [Sure, you're the king of the hill, go ahead and pass...(real life situation in the 'corredor' of Cangas del Narcea when Asturians pass inside a curve with 0 visibility)]
Cagonlaputa, ehi ta'l paisanu de la silla ruedasl! [I shit on the bitch, here's the guy on the wheelchair! (real life situation: there's a guy on a wheelchair outside of Bual (Boal) who tends to go on 'walks' on the country road to Grandas de Salime)]

On other fronts, you worry me, Tierradenaide. How are you rigged for your bike trip to Asturias? Do you have bike bags or a trailer attached to the bike? Because you will need to be very, very careful on those country road. Check in with local tourist offices as you progress to ask what roads are best for bikers. It will spare you highly transited roads that are no fun. Asturians, in general, are good drivers. It's post-adolescent drivers who are scary...

----
Trans. Is

Home, nun ia 'road rage' a lo interstate norteamericano. Pero ia verda que los mious primos peganme los cagamentos cuando torno p'Asturias. Nun ia gran cousa tampouco, eh? Seique una migaya blasfemo...

Ehi van del.los exemplos pa situaciones que me tuvienon pasao nas carreteras asturianas:

Cagonros, ya esti que fai?
Si ho, que gayu yes, hala tira p'alantre... [esti sal no corredor del Narcea de la que la xente--xente de Cangas peimeque--ponse adelantar nas curvas ensin visibilida]
Cagonlaputa, ehi ta'l paisanu de la silla ruedas! [hai un paisano en silla ruedas nuna aldea enrriba Bual que-che da por dir calear pulas tardes na carretera que vei pa Grandas de Salime]

Senon, tienesme un pelin asustau, Tierradenaide. Vas dir en bici conas alforxas de bici ou con una especie de trailer? Porque vas ter que tar mui sol.lerte pa conos coches. Meyor te pousas nas oficinas de turismo pa entruga-ys cualas carreteras NUN garrar ya asina tas mas tranquilin. La xente conduz bien n'Asturias, pero ia la xente mui mozo la que mete l.lerza...
Last edited by is on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Villamil

Post by Villamil »

I use the typical curses from the mining zone, which tends to be even more sacrilegious (I think that the mining inhabitants are the most blasphemous people on earth :lol: ). I put some of them:

Cagondios: I shit on god.
Cagonlavirxe: I shit on the virgin.
Cagondios y la putavirxe: well, this is a combination with an emphatic particle. I prefer not to translate it :lol:
Babayu, mazcayu, magüetu: their shared meaning is, more or less, fool.

I rarely cuss but when I do it, I utilize those (the third if circumstances are extremely exasperating). I think that the first three are the most used swearwords, especially, as I say, in the mining zone.

I remember some anecdote told by one of my grandmoms about the pintoresque way of greeting each other of neighboors (mine workers, normally) who didn't see each other for a long time:

- Coime Manolín, cagonlaputa que te traxo'l mundiu, ¡¿cuántu hai que nun te vía, fiu de la pendanga?!-
- Home Xuan, cagondios, sí qu'hai tiempu que nun mos víamos, ¡creyí que morrieras!, ¿¡comu tas!?.

I wouldn't know how to translate in english this string of swearwords. It's a dialog full of insults, but none of the speakers takes offend.

Greetings!.
is

Post by is »

Villamil wrote:Cagondios y la putavirxe
Que risa me diu l.lendo eso pula manana, Villamil. Art vei ter que censurar esti filu pa la xente con sensibilida relixosu. Nun sei si los de la cuenca son mas ou menos blasfemos qu'el resto, pero eso de la putavirxe si que lu sintiera you n'aldea cuando algo nun ta bien feito.

----

That was very funny, Villamil, especially in the wee hours of the morning. I think Art's going to have to wonder if he needs to censor the thread for its religious sensibilities, or lack thereof. I don't know if people from the mining districts of Asturias are more sacrilegious than others, but I have heard that putavirxe curse in the countryside when something is wrong.
Xakin

Post by Xakin »

:D I do not remember who but a former Roman historian said that the inhabitants of the north of the peninsula rose to the top of the mountains to throw stones at the gods, I like to think that our "cagamentus" come from that.

I met a guy, asturian teacher, who was collecting all the "cagamentus" that he heard, he had over fifty, one of the funniest was "cagon nes pites roxes de Grau" (i shit on the Grau red hens) don't ask me for a reason.

Nun m'alcuerdo de cuál, pero un historiador romanu cuntaba que los antiguos habitantes del norte la península xubien al cumal les montañes pa tirayos piedres a lus dioses, prestame pensar que lus cagamentus d'anguañu vienen d'ehí.
Conozo un rapaz, mayestru d'asturianu, qu'andaba recoyendo tolos cagamentus que sentía, llevaba más de 50, ún de los más simpaticos yera "cagon nes pites roxes de Grau", nun tengo nin idega d'ónde pué vinir.
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Is wrote: How are you rigged for your bike trip to Asturias?
http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_diy_kit_bi ... railer.php

ya tengo el kit. lo voy a customize.

p.d.: sí, tienes razón paul, mi enfoque suena (un poco) loco, pero

a_ no sé a hacerlo otra cosa

b_ preferiría que un tanque me golpea am-rasch-der-welt en asturias en lugar de uno en the avenue of the americas

----
Trans. Is

http://www.wicycle.com/cargo_diy_kit_bi ... railer.php

I already have the kit and will customize it.

p.s. You're right, Paul, my approach may sound a bit kooky, but...

a_ I don't know how to do it differently

b_ I rather be squashed by a tank in an out-in-the-boonies place in Asturias than along the Avenue of the Americas
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Xakin wrote:: "cagon nes pites roxes de Grau" (i shit on the Grau red hens)
diomio, sí, los animales pobres. me recuerdo cuando era un niño mi padre os manejaba mucho. a menudo gritó : "du hirsch!" { cervidae }, y, cuando era una mujer: "diese kuh!*" { vaca }. pues, aquellas son los hochdeutsche entre otras. {creo que se refirió a otras chóferes y menos a nosotros}

*{{"frau am steuer bringt ungeheuer"}}

----
Trans. Is

OMG, yes, I remember the poor animals. I recall as a child my father used to drive a lot and he'd often shout: "You deer!" [at males] and if the driver was female: "You cow!" Well, those are some of the insults in high German, among others. {I think he was actually referring to other drivers and not to us}

{{"A woman at the wheel can have unpredictable [huge?] results"}}
Bob

Post by Bob »

For monolingual English speakers, "putavirxe" equates the mother of Christ with a whore. Asturians are good at cursing, a trait that I seem to have retained..

Here's an excerpt from DALLA that shows some less profane ways in which "la virxe" enters into the language:

virxe, la: sust. Representación de la madre de Xesucristu. || Botón de la Virxe, flor [de la Sanguisorba minor qu’abanga y ye mui vistosa]. || Botones de la Virxe, Sanguisorba minor, planta rosácea [de flores qu’abanguen y son mui vistoses]. || Ca la Virxe, fam. un sitiu mui apartáu y remotu. || Casa la Virxe, fam. un sitiu mui apartáu y remotu. || Cinta de la Virxe, Phalaris arundinacea, planta [de tallu mui derechu y fueyes anches]. || De la Virxe, fam. estraordinariu, fuera de lo común. || De la Virxe del puñu, fam. atuñáu, tacañu. || Flor de la Virxe, Hypericum perforatum, planta melecinable [de fueyes compuestes con pintes negres pel borde]. || La Virxe (de), fam. muncho, abondo. Comió la virxe. 2 Muncho, mui. To casa queda la Virxe de lloñe. || Oreya de la Virxe, cáscara de la ostra. || Pendiente de la Virxe, flor [de la Sanguisorba minor qu’abanga y ye mui vistosa]. || Pendientes de la Virxe, Sanguisorba minor, planta rosácea [de flores qu’abanguen y son mui vistoses]. || Ser la Virxe, fam. ser estraordinariu, fuera de lo común. || Virxe (santa), *espresión que s’usa p’amosar sorpresa, almiración. || Zapatinos de la Virxe, Lotus corniculatus, planta [de flores marielles que salen agrupaes].

----
Trans. Is

Pa los non-falantes d'ingles, la palabra "putavirxe" equival a que la mai de Cristo yera una puta. A los asturianos das-yos bien eso de soltar cagamentos, y yo nun soi denguna escepcion.

Equi ta un cachin del diccionariu de l'Academia de la Llingua na que tan recoyios formes de "la virxe" menos blasfemes:

virxe, la: sust. Representación de la madre de Xesucristu. || Botón de la Virxe, flor [de la Sanguisorba minor qu’abanga y ye mui vistosa]. || Botones de la Virxe, Sanguisorba minor, planta rosácea [de flores qu’abanguen y son mui vistoses]. || Ca la Virxe, fam. un sitiu mui apartáu y remotu. || Casa la Virxe, fam. un sitiu mui apartáu y remotu. || Cinta de la Virxe, Phalaris arundinacea, planta [de tallu mui derechu y fueyes anches]. || De la Virxe, fam. estraordinariu, fuera de lo común. || De la Virxe del puñu, fam. atuñáu, tacañu. || Flor de la Virxe, Hypericum perforatum, planta melecinable [de fueyes compuestes con pintes negres pel borde]. || La Virxe (de), fam. muncho, abondo. Comió la virxe. 2 Muncho, mui. To casa queda la Virxe de lloñe. || Oreya de la Virxe, cáscara de la ostra. || Pendiente de la Virxe, flor [de la Sanguisorba minor qu’abanga y ye mui vistosa]. || Pendientes de la Virxe, Sanguisorba minor, planta rosácea [de flores qu’abanguen y son mui vistoses]. || Ser la Virxe, fam. ser estraordinariu, fuera de lo común. || Virxe (santa), *espresión que s’usa p’amosar sorpresa, almiración. || Zapatinos de la Virxe, Lotus corniculatus, planta [de flores marielles que salen agrupaes].
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Bob,
Yes, the Asturian men who lived in Spelter used a lot of profanity. I guess that's why I learned all the "bad words" first. But I must say not all the men used profanity. I can remember asking why some did and others didn't. The answer I got was that's how they express themselves. It made no difference who was in the room: women, children... the language never changed. Did this make then bad people? No, I think the answer I got as a kid was right: it's how they express themselves.

----
Trans. Is

Bob,
Si hom, la xente asturiano de Spelter taba avezao a soltar cagamentos. Nun m'estrana que deprendiera tacos enantes que otres coses. Pero tamien ye verda que non tolos paisanos yeren malfalaos. Inda m'alcuerdo d'entrugar por que los habia malfalaos y otros que nun lo yeren. Dixeronme que yera la so forma d'espresase. Daba-yos igual quien tuviera n'habitacion: muyeres, la reciella de nenos...la llingua nun camudaba nin un res. Quier eso decir que yera mala xente? Cuido que non. Dixeranme de rapaccin que yera namai una forma d'espresase.
granda

Post by granda »

I met a guy, asturian teacher, who was collecting all the "cagamentus" that he heard, he had over fifty, one of the funniest was "cagon nes pites roxes de Grau" (i shit on the Grau red hens) don't ask me for a reason.
Minute 3.48 a different version of the same ''cagamentu' It is very funny and worth to watch it all.
conozo un rapaz, mayestru d'asturianu, qu'andaba recoyendo tolos cagamentus que sentía, llevaba más de 50, ún de los más simpaticos yera "cagon nes pites roxes de Grau", nun tengo nin idega d'ónde pué vinir.
Minuto 3.48.
is

Post by is »

Granda, peime qu'escaecieras poner l'enllaz al YouTube ou al YeTube pa les pites de Grau. Por cierto, guei tou finando col analisis de Dubai. L.levo mas de 3 selmanas con Sheikh Zayed Road na tiesta. Nun vendria mal un partidin de squash, ou seique un cagamentu...
granda

Post by granda »

Granda, peime qu'escaecieras poner l'enllaz al YouTube ou al YeTube pa les pites de Grau. Por cierto, guei tou finando col analisis de Dubai. L.levo mas de 3 selmanas con Sheikh Zayed Road na tiesta. Nun vendria mal un partidin de squash, ou seique un cagamentu.
upsss!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGvKrZc ... D7&index=0
is

Post by is »

Hehehe, 'mecagon les pites del prau la mi hermana!'. Si que ta bien esi cagamentu. Vaya voz que tien el Bertin, vamos paez que tuviera toa la nueite de folixa ya acabante esconsonar. La verda ia que tien muitu esto de socioloxia asturiano: el pai segando el prau (que lo fai mal ya nun tien nin madrenes) ya'l fiu entrugando-y polos 300 euros pol ipod...cuantas veces escuitara you hestorias paecias a esta n'Asturias rural-real.

----

[sorry, Peter, didn't have time to translate earlier]

Very funny, mecagon les pites de prau la mi hermana. That's a good one. What a voice that Bertin has, sounds like he's been partying all night and just woke up. This has a lot to do with Asturian mentality: the father cutting the grass (he doesn't do a very good job and isn't even wearing his wooden clogs) and his good-for-nothing son asking him for 300 euros for an ipod...I've heard similar stories in rural-real Asturias.
Last edited by is on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

Is wrote:y polos 300 euros pol ipod...
ahh, que precioso, no tengo ninguna idea que dices, iS, me siento como viajando en un autobús rural en un país exótico y escuchando la gente local. es como música, sí.

youtubing: me gusta la guadaña* { aunque el papá no sabe como usarla, zzzip }. pronto, aposto, se puede comprar un ipod por menos que una guadaña. modern times.

* en alemán la misma palabra como sentido/razón en inglés: sense, jaja

http://tinyurl.com/6hz9q6

----
Trans. Is

ah, that's beautiful, although I have no idea what you're saying, Is, it was like going on a country bus in an exotic country listening to locals talk. It was almost like music.

youtubing: I liked the gadana { even if the Dad in the video doesn't know how to use it, zzzip }. I think we'll be able to buy an ipod for less than the cost of a gadana. modern times.

* in German the word for gadana has a double meaning, but is associated to reason/common sense.

http://tinyurl.com/6hz9q6
is

Post by is »

tierradenadie wrote: http://tinyurl.com/6hz9q6
That's very interesting you brought up the issue of the scythe and the German word Sense:

'Die Sense (althochdeutsch. segensa = die Schneidende; auf schwäbisch heißt die Sense immer noch „Säages“, wobei das ä lang und das a kurz gesprochen wird; auf Berndeutsch "Sägese") ist ein einfaches bäuerliches Gerät zum Abschneiden (Mähen) von Gras und Getreide.'

I had no idea that it was derived from Old High German segensa. In Asturian, and I think in Castilian Spanish too, the verb to mow grass (usually with a scythe, but also with machines) is segar. Maybe someone can check if it's a Germanic root or Latin.

----
Ia interesante eso de que n'aleman a la gadana chaman Sense:

'Die Sense (althochdeutsch. segensa = die Schneidende; auf schwäbisch heißt die Sense immer noch „Säages“, wobei das ä lang und das a kurz gesprochen wird; auf Berndeutsch "Sägese") ist ein einfaches bäuerliches Gerät zum Abschneiden (Mähen) von Gras und Getreide.'

Nun tenia nin idea (ou ia que tou mayau de trabayar), que la palabra fora d'aniciu aleman antiguu: segensa. N'asturianu, ya peimequ'en castel.lan tamen, dizse segar pa cortar cona gadana. Igual dalgun de vos sabe d'au vien el verbu, si del xermanicu ou del romance.

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”