I want spanish citizenship =(

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Fran

I want spanish citizenship =(

Post by Fran »

Wikipedia says:
2. Regardless of their place of birth, the adult children and grandchildren of original Spaniards (original Spaniards are those who, at the moment of their birth, were born to people who possessed Spanish citizenship) can also access Spanish nationality on softer terms than other foreigners: they require just 1 year of legal residence, and they are exempted from work restrictions. This law in practice also benefits the great-grandchildren of emigrant Spaniards as long as their grandparents (born outside of Spain) are/were original Spaniards

But it's not true. My grandfather was 100% spanish and I can't have spanish citizenship because my grandfather was born outside of spain. His brothers were born in spain, their grand children can have spanish citizenship whereas I cannot =(
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

Have you spoken to the nearest Spanish Consulate??
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)
Bob

Post by Bob »

You should start by reading the series of posts at http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1706 and then contacting your nearest consulate. If you are disappointed by what you are told, try writing directly to the Spanish government. Consular officials are not always up to date on the law.

In any event, Wikipedia, however entertaining, is not authoritative. I once read that Franco and his sister enjoyed raising rhinoceroses on their family farm during their youth. Anyone can edit the articles and some people do so with a sense of whimsey.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

As Bob says, there are much better sources than Wikipedia. Try this:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3196
But it's not true. My grandfather was 100% Spanish and I can't have Spanish citizenship because my grandfather was born outside of spain.
What are you basing that conclusion on? Did the Spanish Consulate tell you that?
Fran

Post by Fran »

Sorry, now I'm up to date on the other forum. The consulate told me yesterday that I would not be able to apply because my grandfather was born in cuba, even though his parents and older siblings were born in spain.

So my grandpas brothers grandchildren can become spanish citizens but I cannot. My grandpa was born in cuba and after 20 years of his life, he left cuba as a refugee with his family. So, the spanish officials are considering me cuban?

My dad doesnt want spanish citizenship as he absolutely loathes spain, and if he did want citizenship, he would have to go through his grandparents even though his father was 100% spanish.

If my dad gets citizenship, would I then be eligible for spanish citizenship? How old would his children have to be? =/
Fran

Post by Fran »

How would I write the spanish governemnt or who could I write to that might help?

.....not that I think it would help...

thx =/
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm not certain, but I think that the proper agency would be the Ministerio de Justicia http://www.mjusticia.es/cs/Satellite?c= ... meJusticia
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

I just went through all of this with my sister. We also received mixed up information from Consular Officials. My understanding is that your father would have to become Spanish and then you could apply.....Did you investigate whether your grandfather was registered in the Registro Civil of the Spanish Consulate in Cuba??
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”