Arroz con Pollos

Recipes for chicken, eggs, turkey, quail, & other fowl.<br>
Recetas empleando pollo, huevos, pavo, cordoniz, y otras aves.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Donna Alvarez

Arroz con Pollos

Post by Donna Alvarez »

At reunions my grandmother, Viola Alvarez, and my aunts, used to compile the entre to our feists, Arroz con Pollo. It is different than I have eaten since. I never acquired the recipe. I do enjoy the Colombian version with raisins, but it's not the same.
They browned tons of chicken parts, then everything (tomato, onion, rice, peppers and spices) all melded in huge pots for hours, causing the aroma about the house to intice one's apetite!
The joke was, grandma made the best because, as she stood over the pot stirring, her cigarette ashes would drop in. I know that turns the stomach of the readers here, but we have cooked with ashes for centuries. Posole is from ashed corn, and ash adds nutrients, irrelevent to tobacco, but an effort to settle your stomachs.
I don't know the spices in this recipe. Does anyone out there know?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

In the recipe I got from my mom, the flavor comes, mostly from the azafran (saffron), capers, olives, olive oil, garlic, and fresh red peppers or pimientos.

I seriously doubt that this recipe is traditional because of the celery and garlic salt. I'm pretty sure that this recipe appeared in the newspaper and had been adapted for gringos.

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 c chopped red peppers
1/4 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped celery
1 Tbsp parsley (I'd use fresh parsley and more of it)
1/2 tsp garlic salt (gross... I'd use real garlic and more!)
1/2 tsp capers
1/2 c olives
1/4 c olive juice (I suppose from the olives)
1/8 t black pepper (optional)
2 t salt (I'd probably leave this out)
1 tsp saffron (maybe one envelope?)
2 c water
1 1/2 c rice
1 3-4# cut-up skinned chicken (skinned so it won't be as greasy)

When we made this, we usually doubled everything but the chicken.

Cut up chicken and place chicken on top of rice.
Cover and place in 350 degree oven for one hour.
Stir occasionally. Bake until rice and chicken are tender.
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Art
I don't remember the capers. They may have cooked away or just unattainable. The saffron had to be the ingredient that distinguished the flavor. Sadly, the only saffron I have seen here is from Mexico. I don't think it is the real thing. I thank you and I will be trying this ASAP.
Donna
Jovita

Arroz con pollo

Post by Jovita »

Saffron can be purchased at La Tienda.com. It's expensive, but worth every penny.

[Art: Here's a link for La Tienda. You can click on the saffron link to the left or scroll down to the saffron listing on this page. If you shop through our affiliate link (more are here: http://www.asturianus.org/asturianUSLinks.html), you will help support this website at no cost to you. ]
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Gracias, Jovita.
I will look into it.
This is another eliment, again, defining Spain's high standards. It has a very distinct flavor and people would not want to eliminate. I intend to make that purchase.
Muchas gracias
Charolette

Saffron

Post by Charolette »

I have some saffron that I got at Costco. It is from La Mancha Spain. Not all Costco's carry it, but if you have a store near you it might be worth checking there.
Charolette
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Thanks, Charolette
No Cotsco nearbly but Albuquerque, two hours away. A man in our coffee clutch at work gets our coffee there. I'll request he look for it next time.
Thank you

Return to “Poultry, eggs - Carne, huevos de ave”