Angel Cuesta LaMadrid, nació en 1858 en Colosia (Panes)

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

NancyJoan

Angel Cuesta LaMadrid, nació en 1858 en Colosia (Panes)

Post by NancyJoan »

Hi all,

Just ran across this forum today - what a find!

My great-grandfather was Angel Cuesta LaMadrid. He was born in Colosia just outside of Panes in 1858, and arrived in Havana, Cuba in 1873, where he attended school for two years, and then apprenticed as a cigar maker. He later rolled cigars in Key West and New York, and by 1884 opened a small factory in Atlanta. He then moved to Tampa and co-founded Cuesta-Rey Cigars, and was very active in Rotary. He died in 1936 at age 77. His daughter Carlotta was my father's mother.

I was able to visit Panes and Colosia a few years ago, and fell in love with the area, but unfortunately was only able to spend a day there. From what I understand, he was well-known in the area because he gave a lot back to the community after he had done well for himself in the U.S. but I don't know a lot of details.

Would love to hear from anyone from the area who was familiar with my great-grandfather and his family.
ayalgueru

Post by ayalgueru »

Dear Nancy:

Welcome to our community !

May be you could post an entry in the genealogy section, this might help you get some leads which may help finding relatives still living in the area ,,,

Alternatively ,, just an idea and I know this is a bit of a long shot but worth trying ,,, you may want to try contacting the county ( penamenera ) city hall , not sure of they can ( or are willing to ) help but they might, just might, be able to get you in touch with someone who is an expert in the county's local history, may be the cronista oficial de la villa or someone like that see some of their contact details below.

http://www.aytopanespbaja.com/directorio.asp
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ayalgueru's got a good idea. If your grandfather helped the community, someone would remember him.

-------------------

Ayalgueru tiene una buena idea. Si tu abuelo ayudó a la comunidad, alguien le recordaría.
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

I don't know where you are living, but you must contact Judge Emiliano Salcines of Tampa or maybe Tony. He is very close to your relatives there, and I think that we have met some of them at our symposium in Orlando.
chelui

Re: Hello from Nancy

Post by chelui »

Hola y saludos a todos los asturamericanos de esta preciosa pagina y a sus creadores.

Hace unos dias estaba buscando en internet datos sobre un pariente lejano mio Angel Cuesta Lamadrid cuando vi en un enlace esta pagina y con sorpresa descubri que habia gente haciendo preguntas sobre el,sobre todo me llamo la atencion el mensaje de Nancy joan y entonces me decidi a registrarme y contar lo que se sobre esta persona y pariente mio.

Uno de mis bisabuelos fue Cosme San Roman Lamadrid,primo carnal de Angel Cuesta Lamadrid bisabuelo de Nancy Joan creo que eso quiere decir que dos tatarabuelas nuestras eran hermanas y nosotros creo que seriamos primos cuartos.

Yo sabia algunas cosas de Angel Cuesta Lamadrid,porque a mi madre ,todavia viva con 85 años,se las contaba mi abuela de cuando la familia de Nancy Joan iba entre los años 1920 y 1930 aproximadamente a pasar temporadas a Panes en una casa que fue propiedad de D Angel y se llamaba y llama el Collado,pero al ver lo de esta pagina segui buscando en internet y di con un señor que tambien es parinte de Nancy Joan y posiblemente mas cercano que yo (pero por la parte de los Cuesta) y que habia escrito un libro sobre D Angel asi que despues de decirselo a mis padres ellos indagaron en LLanes y se pusieron en contacto con el y me envio el libro y ahi si que hay profusion de datos sobre D Angel Cuesta Lamadrid.

Hay cosas que yo sabia ,como que tiene una estatua que se hizo por suscripcion popular en Panes,que le cocedieron la gran Cruz de la orden de Isabel la Catolica,que era amigo del Rey Alfonso XIII ,que fundo varios clubs Rotarios etc ;Pero en este libro de este pariente de Nancy Joan hay innumerables mas datos que yo no tenia ni idea y tambien bastantes fotos en el libro ,de sus tatarabuelos ,de D Angel Cuesta Lamadrid y su esposa Marie Binder ,de sus hijos, tambien de Carlota Marie Cuesta asi como tambien de los negocios que tuvo en Cuba ,Atlanta y Tampa reseñas de todas las instituciones en las que tomo parte en Tampa asi como por supuesto las obras que hizo a su cargo en Colosia y Panes (peñamellera baja).

Yo me llamo Jose Luis Collado (el Lamadrid lo tengo mas para atras) y vivo en Oviedo capital del Principado de Asturias y la familia de mi madre procede de Panes y la de mi padre de Naves de LLanes.

En resumen que dejo esto aqui por si Nancy Joan o alguien tiene alguna pregunta que yo pueda ayudar y por otro lado me voy a poner yo en contacto con este pariente que ha hecho el libro y que vive en Santander (cantabria),por si el quiere ponerse en contacto con vosotros.

Un saludo muy afectuoso Jose Luis Collado

PD: Me defiendo mal con el ingles:En el mensaje de Nancy Joan no era tan dificil y lo entendi casi todo,pero a mi me resultaria imposible escribir en ingles,tampoco estoy muy ducho en esto de los foros pero supongo que todo se aprende.

-----------------------
trans. Art

Hello and greetings to all the Asturian-Americans on this beautiful site and its creators.

A few days ago I was searching the internet for information about a distant relative of mine, Angel Cuesta Lamadrid, when I saw a link to this page and discovered with surprise that there were people asking questions about him, mostly I was struck by the message of Nancy Joan and then I decided to register and tell what I know about this person, who is my relative.

One of my great-grandparents was Cosme San Roman Lamadrid, a cousin of Angel Cuesta Lamadrid, Nancy Joan's great-grandfather. I think that means that our two great-grandmothers were sisters and I think that we would be fourth cousins.

I knew some things about Angel Cuesta Lamadrid, because my mother, who is still living at 85 years of age, was told by my grandmother about when the family of Nancy Joan went to spend time [literally "seasons," perhaps summers?] was between 1920 and 1930 in Panes in a house that was owned by D Angel was then and is still called "el Collado." But when I saw this page, I continued searching on the internet and came across a gentleman who is also Nancy Joan's relative, and Nancy Joan is possibly more closely related than I am (but on the Cuesta side of the family). And that he had written a book on D Angel. So after telling my parents they made some inquiries in Llanes and got in touch with him. He sent me the book and, yes, in it there is a profusion of data on D Angel Cuesta Lamadrid.

[In it] are things that I already knew, such as that there is a statue of him that was paid for by popular subscription in Panes, that he was awarded " la gran Cruz de la orden de Isabel la Catolica" [the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabel the Catholic], that he was a friend of King Alfonso XIII, that he founded several Rotary clubs, etc. But in this book of this relative of Nancy Joan there are also countless other facts that I had no idea of. There are also a great many photos in the book, of her [Nancy's] great-grandparents, D Angel Cuesta Lamadrid and his wife María Binder, his children, also of Carlota María Cuesta. There are also photos of the businesses that he had in Cuba, Atlanta and Tampa. There is also a summary of all the institutions that he participated in Tampa, as well as, of course, the works that he was in charge of in Colosia and Panes (Peñamellera Bajo).

My name is Jose Luis Collado (the Lamadrid I have in my lineage further back) and I live in Oviedo, capital of the Principality of Asturias and my mother's family comes from Panes and my father from Naves de Llanes.

In short, I leave this message here for Nancy Joan or in the event that anyone has any questions that I can help with. And secondly, I'm going to get in contact with this relative who has written the book and is living in Santander (Cantabria), in case he wants to get in contact with you all.

A very warm greeting, Jose Luis Collado

PS: I don't do well with English. The message from Nancy Joan was not too hard to read and I understood almost everything, but I could not possibly write in English. I am not very adept dealing with forums, but I guess that everything can be learned.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Bienvenido, José Luís! Hiciste bien con el foro. ¡Y qué historía cuentas!

------------

Welcome, José Luís! You did fine with the forum. And what a story you've got!
anacarlotagonzalez

Angel Cuesta Lamadrid

Post by anacarlotagonzalez »

Dear Nancy Joan: My great grandmother, Catalina Cuesta, was a sister of Angel. One of her daughters was my grandmother Genoveva Prieto Cuesta. She took care of their grandparents (Catalina and Angel´s parents) in Colosia. I believe their names were Bernardo La Cuesta and Francisca Lamadrid.
Last edited by anacarlotagonzalez on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beatrich

Re: Hello from Nancy

Post by beatrich »

Hi NancyJoan, It was an amazing suprise to know about somebody related with D.Angel Cuesta Lamadrid as he was the cousin of my grandmother (Rosario Sordo Corces) and my greatgrandmother (Catlina Corces Lamadrid) was the godmother of D. Angel Cuesta. As I used to come to the States when I was a little kid, (as I have american family related with my mother) my father told me that we had family in Tampa, but didn´t know anything about the family D.Angel had in America. (They traveled to Panes when his children were little kids) and he was a great an generous person.

Currently I live part of the year in Albuquerque, NM and partly in Madrid, Spain. I would love to hear more about you.

Regards

Beatriz Sordo
beatrich

Post by beatrich »

Hi Nancy Joan,

I'm trying to get in touch with my aunt Carmen (she is 96 years old, living in Panes) after I saw your note, as she knows everything about the family and Angel Cuesta. She has a lot of stories about your great grandfather, when he used to go to Panes with all his family. But currently I'm in the States and it hasn´t been possible. But as far as I know, this is my family tree going up until the connection with Angel Cuesta Lamadrid:

Code: Select all

Manuela Lamadrid,             the sister of Catalina Lamadrid 
(Angel´s mom)                 (my great grandmother)

Angel Cuesta Lamadrid               
(Manuela's son)

Rosario C Corces Lamadrid   ??
   (Manuela's daughter)        (my grandmother)
   (Nancy´s Grandmother) 

??                             Aurelio Sordo
(Nancy´s Dad)                  (my   father)

Nancy                          Beatriz Sordo 
                               (That's me) :)
Bye!

[Art: I've tried to fix this tree, but I'm not sure I was able to read it correctly. Let me know if I should correct it.

We can't use spaces to format things like this unless you enclose them in "Code" tags. Even so, you can't take text in code very wide and the spacing is difficult to do, so there are severe limitations. Please ask me if you need help.]
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have moved Melody's last message to this thread because it was directed to Nancy Joan.

Melody, please post all of your messages about this topic in the same thread so we can follow the logic.

I have also added a message to this thread pointing here because the participants in that other topic will also find this thread helpful:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1272

-----------------------

He movido el último mensaje de Melody a este tema porque se dirige a Nancy Joan.

Melody, se ruega poner todos de tus mensajes sobre este tema in lo mismo hilo para que podemos seguir la lógica.

También he añadido un mensaje a este hilo señalando aquí, porque los participantes en ese otro tema también encontrarán este tema útil:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1272
anacarlotagonzalez

Hi Beatriz: I have a little book called Angel L. Cuesta, el hombre que no olvido su origen, published in the 90's. It transcribes Angel's birth certificate literally, it says that he was born Dec. 23, 1858 and baptized in San Juan de Ciliargo, (this was a little church just outside Panes that was almost totally destroyed during the Civil War). The names of the parents were Bernardo de la Cuesta and Francisca de la Madrid, maternal grandparents were Carlos de la Madrid y Teresa Porrero, paternal grandparents Manuel de la Cuesta
y Agustina del Toral. Godparents were Angel Gonzalez Gutierrez de Espinosa de los Monteros and Ramona del Rio. Angel's mother was named Francisca, not Manuela, she was my bisabuela Catalina Cuesta's mother. Could it be that Manuela's last name was Cuesta, and that she was a sister of Catalina and Angel?

This information corroborates what I heard from my grandmother, Genoveva Prieto Cuesta, she was a daugter of Angel's sister Catalina. She said that she grew up with her grandparents in Colosia, they were Bernardo and Francisca, who was blind, and it was agreed by the family that she (Genoveva) would take care of them in their old age, and she did, until she got married and left to Chile, she used to say that only the boys went to Cuba or Tampa, the girls stayed home or followed their husbands. We still keep some contact with some of our relatives in Tampa. I have my grandmother's marriage certificate, but that is another story. I also have the other book that has been mentioned. I have hundreds of stories about my grandmother and her family. My mother is still alive and to this day she has a picture of Francisca, her great grandmother hanging on her bedroom wall . I was born in Chile but spent part of my childhood in Panes, as a matter of fact, I attended for a little while the very same one-room school built by Angel in Colosia. I will be happy to tell you all know, and would love to hear the stories you know . regards, Ana Carlota
NancyJoan

Post by NancyJoan »

Hello Jose Luis, Beatrich and AnaCarlotaGonzales,

So we're all cousins, far removed. Would love to get in touch and hear more about what you know, but as all of us only have a couple of posts, I am unable to email you.

I do have a copy of the book by Jose Demetrio Diego, and a (very poor) translation to English that I am working on cleaning up to be more readable. Lots of terrific photos in it, which I've been scanning for my family.

Would love to read the other book that you talk about AnaCarlota.

I am planning a trip to Tampa in January for fun and more research, and hopefully another trip to Asturias this summer, possibly with my father.
Looking to get in touch with Señor Jose Demetrio Diego -- if anyone has contact information on him, please let me know.

Look forward to hearing from all of you once I reach my quota of posts!

-------------------------------

Hola Jose Luis, Beatrich y AnaCarlotaGonzales,

Así que estamos todos primos, muy lejos. Me encantaría ponerte en contacto y saber más sobre lo que sabe, pero como todos nosotros sólo tenemos un par de puestos, no puedo enviarle por correo electrónico.

Tengo una copia del libro por Jose Demetrio Diego y una (muy pobre) traducción al inglés que estoy trabajando en la limpieza hasta sea más legible. Lotes de fotos buenísimo en ella, lo que he estado buscando mi familia.

Me encantaría leer el otro libro que hablan de AnaCarlota.

Estoy planeando un viaje a Tampa en enero para la diversión y más investigación y esperemos que otro viaje a Asturias este verano, posiblemente con mi padre.

Desean ponerse en contacto con el Señor José Demetrio Diego--si alguien tiene información de contacto sobre él, hágamelo saber.

Deseando escuchar de todos ustedes una vez que lleguen a mi cuota de puestos!
anacarlotagonzalez

Dear Nancy Joan: The little book was published by the Rotary Club District #2210, I got it from the Ayuntamiento de Panes five or six years ago. Make sure you go to Colosia, the house where Angel was born is still there and I believe a cousin of my mother still lives in the house. Her name is Teresa and if she hasn't died she should be over 100 years old. A lot of the old furniture was still in the house. At the left side of the house lays the old school house donated by Angel. It is not used as a school any longer since the few children that live in Colosia are bussed to Panes. I think it was sold and it's a home now. I attended that school for a little while when I was 10. We still have relatives with the last name Caso in Tampa. I am sure it will not be hard for you to find them. My email is...[Art: I removed the email. We do not allow emails to be posted on the forum.] If you don't get the booklet I can scan it for you.
regards,
Ana
NancyJoan

Post by NancyJoan »

Hi Ana,

Still can't reply to you via email; nice to hear from you here however. I'll keep posting to try to reach my quota. ;)

It's so fun that you actually went to that school! I imagine the memories are wonderful.

I'm sending letters out to the local addresses in Panes I can find, and will try to locate a copy of this little book from the Ayuntamiento de Panes. It's nice to know Rotary still remembers don Angel.

Nancy

Hola Ana,

Sin embargo, no puedo contestar a usted por correo electrónico; agradable escuchar de usted aquí sin embargo. Seguiré publicando para tratar de llegar a la cuota. ;)

Es tan divertido que en realidad iban a esa escuela! Me imagino que los recuerdos son maravillosos.

Estoy enviando cartas a las direcciones locales en paneles puedo encontrar, y tratará de localizar una copia de este pequeño libro de Paneles del Ayuntamiento. Es bueno saber Rotary aún recuerda don Angel.

Nancy
anacarlotagonzalez

Hi Nancy: It was fun to attend that school. There were boys and girls from 6 to 14 and only one teacher. There was a lot of learning going on in spite of having limited resources. Those were hard years in Spain. We only had one shelf of books, the teacher read aloud to us and we went on a lot of field trips in the beautiful surrounding areas. I write children's books myself and I often remember those experiences. I asked my mother and she says that Teresa died last year at 103 years old, she thinks that her son might still be in the house.
The best to you and happy holidays,

Ana

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”