Book on Pedro Menéndez de Avilés / Libro sobre Pedro Mdez.

Poetry, novels, essays, etc.<br>
Poesía, novelas, ensayos, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Terechu

Book on Pedro Menéndez de Avilés / Libro sobre Pedro Mdez.

Post by Terechu »

For those of you interested in Pedro Menéndez (those born in Avilés, or named Menéndez, or both :), I would like to recommend the following book, which I bought on-line from Amazon.com:

MENENDEZ - Pedro Mdez. de Avilés, Captain General of the Ocean Sea
Author: Albert Manucy
Publisher: Pineapple Press, Inc.
ISBN 1-56164-016-6

Albert Manucy was one of the tour guides of the Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustin, FL. I was there almost 20 years ago and the park ranger who gave us a guided tour through the fortress was so passionate about the Adelantado and his sailors and soldiers that it made a lasting impression on me and keeps me wondering if it was Albert Manucy.

It's a small book, and easy to read for people with medium to high English skills.

------------------------------------
Para los que estéis intersados en Pedro Menéndez (los de Avilés, los que se apelliden Menéndez, o ambas cosas :), me gustaría recomendar el siguiente libro, que compré a través de internet a Amazon.com

MENENDEZ - Pedro Mdez. de Avilés, Captain General of the Ocean Sea
Author: Albert Manucy
Publisher: Pineapple Press, Inc.
ISBN 1-56164-016-6

Albert Manucy fue guía del Castillo de San Marcos en S. Agustín de la Florida. Yo estuve allí hace casi 20 años y el guarda que nos hizo de guía tenia tanta pasión por el Adelantado, sus marinos y soldados que me causó una impresión duradera y ahora me preguntó si no sería Albert Manucy.

Es un libro pequeño, fácil de leer para gente con unos conocimientos de inglés de medios a altos.

Terechu
mdmenendez

Pedro Books

Post by mdmenendez »

Another good book on Pedro is the following.

Name: Enterprise of Florida: Pedro Menendez Aviles and the Spanish Conquest of 1565-1568
Author: Eugene Lyon
Publisher: University Press of Florida (June 1, 1983)
ISBN: 0813007771

It's a bit thicker of a book than Manucy's, General of the Ocean Sea, and a little harder to find. I had to track down a used copy to get mine, but I am quite glad that I did. Lyon has also written or edited a few other books on Pedro that I'm trying to track down to see how different or informative they are.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, MDMenéndez!

You may be interested in the symposium to be held this February 24-25 in Florida. There will be two talks and a round table discussion on Pedro Menéndez at the conference.

José B. Fernández. (University of Central Florida)
"Pedro Menéndez de Avilés: Asturian Man of Destiny"

Santiago García-Castañón. (Georgia College & State University)
"Pedro Menéndez de Avilés, from History to Legend"

We've posted some information on it here:
http://www.asturianus.org/simposio/

The program for the symposium is listed here:
http://www.asturianus.org/simposio/simp ... grama.html

----------------------

¡Bienvenida, MDMenéndez!

Es posible que te interese el simposio que tendrá lugar este febrero 24-25 en Florida. Habrá dos charlas y una mesa redonda sobre Pedro Menéndez en la conferencia.

José B. Fernández. (University of Central Florida)
"Pedro Menéndez de Avilés: un asturiano frente al destino"

Santiago García-Castañón. (Georgia College & State University)
"Pedro Menéndez de Avilés entre la historia y la leyenda"

Hemos puesto más información aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/simposio/

El programa del simposio aparece aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/simposio/simp ... grama.html
mdmenendez

Post by mdmenendez »

Thank you so much for the welcome. My great-aunt Anita (who has pictures posted on the pictures part of this site) got me hooked to you all.

If only I didn't have conflicts with work, I would gladly come to the symposium. As a child the fact that there was someone who did the things Pedro did, WITH my last name got me hooked on all of the history surrounding him in both the Spanish court and in the New World. From portraying him at Renaissance Festivals to simple study, I've embraced Pedro. He's even in a way, how I got into fencing. Thanks agin for te welcome Art.
Art wrote:Welcome, MDMenéndez!

You may be interested in the symposium to be held this February 24-25 in Florida. There will be two talks and a round table discussion on Pedro Menéndez at the conference.
"You can pretend to be serious, you can't pretend to be witty." --Sacha Guitry
Ron Gonzalez

Book on Pedro Menendez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hi MD Menendez
The great-aunt Anita that you speak of, is she the one from Spelter? It's to bad that you can't make it to the symposium, I would have liked to have met, and talked with you.
mdmenendez

Re: Book on Pedro Menendez

Post by mdmenendez »

That would be her. I'm going to see what I can do with my schedule. Who knows, perhaps I'll make it.
Ron Gonzalez wrote:Hi MD Menendez
The great-aunt Anita that you speak of, is she the one from Spelter? It's to bad that you can't make it to the symposium, I would have liked to have met, and talked with you.
"You can pretend to be serious, you can't pretend to be witty." --Sacha Guitry
Terechu

The Menéndez surname

Post by Terechu »

This is entirely off topic, but yesterday I was watching a program on Gijón's local TV station (TVG - Telegijón) which has become quite popular lately and it made me wonder. It's called "Caminos y Rondas" and is conducted by a young journalist, Xurde Morán. He started it a few years back by visiting Gijón's rural parishes and villages on foot, stopping for a chat with local folks and getting them to talk about how things used to be in their youth and who was what and so on. It was such a success that he is now expanding it to all of Asturias.
Well, yesterday I saw a chapter where Xurde walks through the Illas and San Martín de Laspra areas and of course I thought of Bob and Art, whose families are from there. Well, the reason I'm mentioning it here is because the folks who talked in front of the camera where mostly "Menéndez".
Now, Menéndez being the patronimic of Mendo, you would think it's all over Spain, but never have I seen such a "nest" of them as in the greater Avilés area (Illas, Carreño, Castrillón, Corvera). :lol:

http://www.tlg.es/caminos/
jomaguca

Re: The Menéndez surname

Post by jomaguca »

Hola Terechu, se te olvidó mencionar el concejo de Gozón también próximo a Avilés, mi bisabuelo tenía de segundo apellido Menéndez y era de Gozón, por cierto el programa de Xurde Morán me encanta, por la conversación qué tiene Xurde con la gente ,qué le cuenta cosas de aquella época.

Return to “Literature - Literatura”