Suarez-Garcia (Aboño) & Suarez-Bango (Piedras Blancas)

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

msuarez

Suarez-Garcia (Aboño) & Suarez-Bango (Piedras Blancas)

Post by msuarez »

I am hoping for assistance in locating information about my family. I am attempting to put together our family tree for my father's 70th birthday.

I know that my paternal grandfather was Ovidio Suarez from Gijon (birth approx. 1901/death 1990). He had a brother Luis that emmigrated to Mexico. His father was Evaristo Suarez from Abono, Gijon, Asturias. Based on a document I found for Luis, I believe that Ovidio and Luis's mother's last name was Garcia.

My paternal grandmother's name was Mary Suarez (birth approx. 1905/death 2000). Mary had two siblings - that I know of - Joseph and Jesse. Their parents were Manuel and Etelbina (the last name was probably Bango or Suarez-Bango). Manuel and Etelbina were certainly born in Spain. Joseph, Jesse, and Mary may have been born in Piedras Blancas, Aviles, Asturias or the US. The family immigrated to the US and eventually settled in Akron, OH.

My great grandfather had a sister Teresa Suarez Bango in Illas, Oviedo, Asturias.

If anyone knows anything about these people or can offer sources for researching my relatives (I've exhausted ancestry.com), I would greatly appreciate it.
msuarez

New Information Suarez-Garcia & Suarez-Lopez

Post by msuarez »

I am hoping to complete a family tree for my father's birthday present (70th). Any information that you might provide will be greatly appreciated. If you read my previous post, I have much more information below.

I know that my paternal grandfather was Ovidio Suarez-Garcia from Gijon (birth approx. 1901/death 1990). He had a brother Luis that emmigrated to Mexico. His father was Evaristo Suarez from Abono, Gijon, Asturias. His mother was Maria Garcia-Gonzalez. His father's parents were Manuel Suarez and Ramona Prendes. His mother's parents were Bernard Garcia and Etelvina Gonzalez.

My paternal grandmother's name was Mary Suarez (birth approx. 1905/death 2000). Mary had two siblings - that I know of - Joe and Jesse. Their parents were Manuel Suarez-Bango and Etelbina Lopez-Suarez. Manuel's parents were Manuel Suarez and Ramona Bango. Etelvina's parents were Jose Lopez and Teresa Suarez. Manuel and Etelbina were certainly born in Spain. Joseph, Jesse, and Mary may have been born in Piedras Blancas, Aviles, Asturias or the US. The family immigrated to the US and eventually settled in Akron, OH.

If anyone knows anything about these people or can offer sources for researching my relatives (I've exhausted ancestry.com), I would greatly appreciate it.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

In case no one has said it yet...
Welcome to the forum, Mark!

I've combined your two messages into one topic so we can follow the logic of the thread.

Please be sure to click on "post reply" if you are responding to an existing topic.

You should read the stickies at the top of the genealogy index.

This one, for example, will explain what "Oviedo" means in the older documents you seem to have:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2224

This one will list some of the details that will help other forum members help you:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2409
Beresna

SUAREZ GARCÍA----ABOÑO

Post by Beresna »

Estimado señor/a m.Suarez,aunque no se ingles pude pude entender en su mensaje que su bis-abuelo Evaristo Suarez hera natural de Aboño,yo soy tambien natural de Aboño.

Pero el Aboño actual nada tiene que ver con el de sus antepasados, ya que hacia mediados del pasado siglo en que se inicia una masiba ocupación industrial del valle de Aboño,las actividades propias del campo como la agricultura y la ganadería fueron la base económica de la parroquia,pero debido a su proximidad con el puerto gijones del Musel,en su valle se emplazaron diversas factorias industriales que lo convirtieron en uno de los complejos industriales más importantes de Asturias y también más contaminados,repercutiendo gravemente en su entorno natural.

Recuerdo cuando hera niño una familia apellidada Suarez a donde iba buscar la leche de sus vacas que posiblemente estubiese emparentado con tus antepasados.

Si lo deseas me puedes enviar un mensaje privado y te envio fotos del Aboño antiguo y del actual.
Recibe un cordial saludo.

--------------------------
trans. Art

Dear sir or madame:
M. Suarez, although I don't know English I could understand your message that his great-grandfather Evaristo Suarez was from Aboño. I'm also a native of Aboño.

But the current-day Aboño has nothing to do with the place his ancestors knew, given that since the middle of last century Aboño has seen masive industrialization. Before that, rural economic activities, such as farming and livestock-raising, were the economic backbone of the parish/area. But, because of its proximity to the port of Musel in Gijón, the a number of industrial factories were located in the valley, which has made it one of the most important industrial centers in Asturias and more polluted, seriously affecting its natural environment.

I remember as a child that there as a Suarez family where I went to fetch the milk from their cows. That family may have been related to your ancestors.

If you want, you can send me a private message and I'll send you photos of the former and contemporary Aboño.

I send warm greetings!
illas

Genealogy

Post by illas »

Hello,

I just found this link searching some other things in Google. I know years have past, but if you haven't finished your family tree yet I can tell you that there was a Teresa Suárez Bango living in Taborneda (Illas) and a brother of hers, José, married in Taborneda with Carmen García, and he had family. José and Teresa's parents were Manuel and Ramona.

I hope that's what you were looking for.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Evaristo Suárez Prendes

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hello, msuarez:

I was checking some files and found two curious anecdotes of your great-grandfather Evaristo Suárez Prendes.

One is that he was fined 500 pesetas in 1926 for opening his shop off the clock.

The other is that he was detainee for participating in a revolutionary movement in 1934, during the Second Spanish Republic. In the newspaper it is said that he and others were arrested in Veriña, a place very close to Aboño.

I hope your father enjoy these. I enjoy anecdotes as these when I find some of my own relatives.

Also, I found in Illas some "Suárez Bango":

José Suárez Bango (wife's name Josefa), two daughters: Esperanza and Caridad. He worked in the Arnao Factory and they lived in La Laguna (Illas)

Antonio Suárez Bango (moved to La Habana), married to Adela Fernandez Alvarez., they lived in Las Cabañas (Taborneda, Illas)

Celestina Suárez Bango, lived in Fabar, near the parish of Villa.

I am including here images of the newspapers in which I found Evaristo Suárez Prendes.
Yours,
Marta

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”