Benjamin Canga Velasco born & died in Lada Langreo

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Bob

Benjamin Canga Velasco born & died in Lada Langreo

Post by Bob »

Please add information you may have about Benjamin Canga and his relatives.
sandracanga

Thank you, Bob

Post by sandracanga »

This was my Grandpa and I believe we still have family left in Lada, Langreo, Oviedo [which once was Asturias' name]. Appreciate any help you can provide.

My Grandpa's death certificate lists his brothers and sisters. My Grandpa was a naturalized citizen of the USA, he went back to Asturias to visit his siblings, and then he died in Lada, Langreo, Oviedo, Spain.

The only other info I have is ship manifest, which states his Dad's name was Jose. My Grandma, Ramona Garcia, also came from Asturias. Where she was from, I have no clue. My Grandpa immigrated to Arizona as a smelter. He married Ramona in Arizona and I have those documents.

Their children were all born in Arizona but my Dad had no birth certificate. The family soon left Arizona and moved to the Bay Area of Crockett, CA. My Grandma Ramona ran a boarding house there. I know there are still Canga's in Spain because my Uncle Julio went to visit a few times. Sadly, the Canga's in California are all dead and, with them, their knowledge of our family.

I have four Nephews and one Grand Nephew that carry on the Canga name. I feel if I don't try to find our story, it will simply die forever. I'm hoping that someone will recognize the names of my great uncles & aunts!

Thank you, Sandy
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Sandy, I've posted the information you sent to us in your message. If you don't want all of that posted, you can edit the message.

Several articles on the forum will help you.

On what "Oviedo" means:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2224

On how to find family members:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3375
Pay especial attention to the section on the Spanish White Pages. You'll certainly find possible family if you search the Langreo area.

You can see the area on a Google map here:
www.google.com/maps/place/33934+Lada+Asturias+Spain

Let us know how your search goes!
Bob

Registro Civil de Langreo

Post by Bob »

Registro Civil
Dirección: Dorado, 3
Teléfono: 985695494
Fax: 985680785
Localidad: Langreo, Asturias, España
Código postal: 33900
sandracanga

Post by sandracanga »

Thank you, Art! I'm good with the info you posted and most grateful!!!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Here's what I did on this page to find possible relatives.
http://blancas.paginasamarillas.es/jsp/home.jsp

-----------------------

Start by going to:
http://blancas.paginasamarillas.es/jsp/home.jsp

First, you may have to click on "cerrar" to close the ad. It may reappear every time you go to the blank form.

Then choose: Particulares y empresas, and not Organismos públicos.
Particulares means "individuals".

The instructions say, "Rellena, al menos, 1 de los 3 campos:"
Which means, "Fill in at least one of these three fields."

Nombre / Razón social
These mean "first name" (for nombre) and "business or organization name" (for razón social).
Leave them blank, unless you know the first name of the person you're looking for.

Primer apellido
This means "First last name".
The people this search finds will be children of a male with your forebear's last name (or the specific person who you already know with this first last name).
Start by adding one of your family member's last names here. If your family member was José Canga Velasco, his first apellido is Canga, which is from his father's side.
You should do this search again with Velasco, his second apellido, to find other possible relatives from his mother's side.

Note that you should search for Canga under both first and second last names because you will find relatives under both options. (But only put the last name in one field at a time.)

Segundo apellido
This means "Second last name".
The people this search finds will be children of a female with your forebear's last name (or the person who you know with this second last name).
So, do another two searches by adding one of your family member's last names here. If your family member was José Canga Velasco, his second apellido is Velasco.
Remember to use both first and second last names (Canga and Velasco) in this field to find possible relatives. (Leave the first apellido field blank, unless you are looking for someone you already know).

Provincia
This means "state or province".
Here put asturias.

Localidad
It basically means "county".
Here put langreo.

Calle
This means "street or road".
Leave this blank, unless you know the street they lived on and think the family may still live there.

Leave this blank, unless you know the house number of someone who may live in a specific home.

-----------------------

Sandy, I found over 60 people. I've sent you three names, addresses and phone numbers of likely candidates.

I hope you speak Spanish, because you now have to either write some letters or make some phone calls. If you don't speak Spanish, perhaps there is someone near you who could sit with you while you do this.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”