Rio Tinto photos of Spanish Miners.

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Phylis

Rio Tinto photos of Spanish Miners.

Post by Phylis »

Thought some might like to see my photos of Rio Tinto since some Asturians migrated there @ 1900s. My notes are "buried" in my office as to details but they were in Heulva.
Photos include
Depiction of early mining by Romans who used slaves.
"Day of the Shots" when mine owners killed protesting workers.
The river which still runs red today.
Migrant worker housing for those not from the nearby farming areas
Yours truely
Phylis

is

Post by is »

Do you remember what the Romans were mining in Huelva? The sculpture in the first pic almost looks like chunks of gold bearing quartzite, but if the river still runs red in the 3rd pic, it may have been iron ore. What did Rio Tinto mine in the area centuries later?

In West Asturias, the Romans also used a form of slave labor or indentured service to work the gold mines of the inner mountains. They were essentially large-scale exploiters and it may be why Romanization (the acculturation process) was contentious in the NW and not a natural process as it was in Mediterranean Spain where cultures and livelihoods were more similar to Rome.

In County Ayande/Allande, West Asturias, there are still quite impressive remains left by the Romans by gold-mining operations dating to the first century AD. The second to last pic on this page shows a hole in the mountain, the result of hushing operations with water leats.

http://carondio.yolasite.com/english.php

Read the info on the page and sign the petition if you're interested. You can follow a thread about Mt. Carondio here:

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3109

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”