FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
Coming to Asturies in a couple weeks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Travel - Viajar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Coming to Asturies in a couple weeks Reply with quote

If any of you in Gozon have favorite restaurants or sidrerias to recommend, please do. Contact me here. I'll be in Asturies (Aviles and Lluanco) the 22-23, maybe we can get together for a sidra. Very Happy
Barbara Alonso Novellino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xose,

My sister Adele is in Barcelona today and traveling to Luanco over the weekend. She is going to visit the home where our Grandparents, your Great Grandparents lived.

Too bad you are both going to be there at different times.

Barbara
Xose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad timing!
Barbara Alonso Novellino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going there on a vacation?
is

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xose, too bad we will be crossing paths. I'm in Asturias until Oct. 18, but wanted to recommend a modern cider house not far from the beach at Verdiciu in County Gozon.

The place is called La Fustariega and serves Asturian seafood. It's a big, clunky thing with a parking lot (not very attractive). But the food is good, people drink cider at the bar and you can walk off your meal in the beautiful countryside or along the beach. It's also great if you have kids.

Here's the website, see 'ubicacion' for a roadmap:

http://www.restaurantelafustariega.com/
Xose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Is! That looks good!
Xose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our trip was phenomenal. We visited with both sides of the family, got a terrific, guided tour of Arnao and and house my great grandfather was born in from our cousin Ramon and met my other cousins in Madrid, where we stayed on our last night, complete with a feast the likes of which you may never see again.... Very Happy
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! I'm glad to hear it went so well. Then again, I've never heard of a bad visit to Asturias!

-------------------------

¡Estupendo! Me alegro que te pasó tan bueno. ¡Por otra parte, nunca he oído hablar de una mala visita a Asturias!
is

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a little like visiting Middle Earth. The best seasons are fall, spring and winter. In summer, there are way too many Spanish tourists, the streets are crowded, prices skyrocket at hotels/country inns and it can get too hot for those with low solar tolerance. By the way, oricios (sea urchins) are now in season (Oct.-Nov.).
Charolette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we went in June and it was great. We are planning on September of next year for our next trip and hope it will be as good as June.
Xose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw folks chowing down on urchins in Lluanco, Is. I wouldn't begin to know how to eat one.
adelealonso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xose

Do you have address for Ascension or Eladio. I would like to write them and send some pictures I found that my father took in 1948 when he visited.

Thanks, would really appreciate it

Your cousin, Adele Alonso (Julius' daughter)
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: urchins - oricios Reply with quote

This is from my memory of my uncle telling me about a conversation he had with my grandfather long ago in Asturias. You put your thumb on the underside (mouth?) of the sea urchin while cradling it in your hands, then pull your thumbs apart and suck the roe out of the inside.
Aba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xose

Im afraid maybe its too late now, but my favourite restaurants in gozon and aviles are:

gozon: casa Maximo, in Bańugues, five kms away from Luanco. Serves excellent fish dishes and seafood, with very competitive prices and with unbeatable quality

aviles: I simply adore Casa Lin, the best sidreria in the villa. its always full of people doesn't mind if it's wedneday or friday. The owner and the waiters are excellent persons, very polite and nice. The ambience is unique

i hope this information could be useful for future visits

I apologise for my bad english. Im only a spanish speaking person
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: English Reply with quote

Aba,

Don't apologize for your English. It's quite good.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Travel - Viajar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: