Granny's Anise Cookies

Flan, rice pudding, sweets, fruit, etc.<br>
Flan, arroz con leche, dulces, frutas, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Joniwrite1

Granny's Anise Cookies

Post by Joniwrite1 »

This recipe was passed down to my Wela, Faustina Garcia Gutierrez de Diaz. She told me it was her Wela's which would date it to about 1850 in Piedras Blancas. Her father, Jose Garcia, was a baker there and was known as "El Pato".

Granny's Anise Cookies
(makes about 100)

3 cups vegetable oil
1 teaspoon anise
1 cup wine (red makes them slightly pink, or use white)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
flour as needed

Heat the oil in a saucepan on the stove until warm. Add anise seed and allow to soak for 1/2 hour.

Put about 6 cups flour in a very large bowl. Add oil with anise, mix with a spoon. Add wine, salt and baking powder and mix well with your hands.

Roll a tablespoon of dough betwee hands and shape into doughnut shape, crossing the ends . Bake on oiled cookie sheets at 350 degrees until lightly browned (15-20 minutes) do not over bake. Cool completely on wire racks or they may crack.

Glaze if desired with icing made of powdered sugar mixed with enough milk to thin for spooning over cookies.

We sometimes added colored sprinkles to the icing before it dried.

These are great with coffee!
Joniwrite1
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

I think this roscos would do better with some more sugar into the dough and using anís liquor instead of the grain and the wine.

Another great glazing would be coating the top of the cookies with some merengue just before taking them to the oven, since once they are done, the merengue will crystalize :)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

@ M. Tomberi: You really need to meet Bob! You both have a great passion for food and cooking.

-----------------------

@ M. Tomberi: De verdad, tienes que conocer a Bob! Los dos tenéis una gran pasión por la comida y la cocina.
Joniwrite1

Regarding Bob

Post by Joniwrite1 »

I agree Art. I'm impressed by Bob's attention to detail and by his knowledge!

My Granny and Wela get the credit for what I've learned. I think it may have been knowledge by osmosis.
Joniwrite1
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

Ya lo creo, Art. Los dos lo pasaríamos mejor que un gocho en un maizal. De paso, espero que esté mejor...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hell yeah, Art. We both would have more fun than a pig in a cornfield. Btw, I hope he's better...

Return to “Desserts - Postres”