The photo of the bagpiper / La foto del gaiteru

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Bob

Post by Bob »

Can we get scans of the photos with better resolution emailed to us? I think that the wrinkles in the foreheads are very similar, as are the folds under the left eye, when you take into account differences in lighting and--supposedly--age. There is a double fold under the left eye of each, and a hint of the cheek fold that runs down from the inner aspect of the lower eyefolds in both photos (more explicit in the one of the supposed older man). Also, both ears have free rather than attached earlobes (the only clearly genetic trait I can see in the photos), the distances from upper lip to the bottom of the nose is similar, as is the shape of the chin, and the age spot in the first photo is lightly mirrored by a similar although less noticable one in the second, plus two age spots that are barely visible in the first photo (over the right eye) are quite evident in the second.

I still think they may both be photos of the same gaitero, especially if the second is really quite a bit older than the first.

Bob
Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hmm. Bob, you might be right. If the José Antonio Menéndez Alvarez is younger and the Toño de Raices is older, there might be enough age-related changes to explain the differences in the photos.

I will send you a scan of José Antonio, Bob, but we'll have to ask Carlos and Gausón for a better image of Toño.

-----------

Pues, puede ser tienes razón, Bob. Si José Antonio Menéndez Alvarez es más jóven y el Toño de Raices es más viejo, podrían haber bastantes cambios relacionados con la edad para explicar las diferencias entre las fotos.

Le enviaré una foto empliado de José Antonio, Bob, pero tendremos que pedir a Carlos y Gausón para una mejor imagen de Toño.
jomaguca

raices

Post by jomaguca »

Art, raices viejo es un pueblin que me parece que se conoce toda la gente, porque no crecio tanto, no es como Salinas que crecio muchisimo y queda muy poca gente de la de antes, cuando solo eran cuatro casinas y poco mas,el pueblin de raices esta pegado a Salinas. :lol: :tambien te puedo decir que de toda la gente que vive en Salinas ,solo son originarios de Salinas ,por no decir menos el 5% y creo que no me equivoco. :lol:
morbreiz

Post by morbreiz »

Terechu wrote:Me chifla esa foto! Cuando era pequeña se veían muchos hombres como él, hombres correosos con manos enormes y frentes anchas (y orejas grandes :D). Todavía se les puede ver en las
Había una vaqueirada que cantaba Manolo Quirós... ¿cómo era?... "...baxai, mozos de Teberga, los de les oreyes largues..."
Si la encuentro (tengo todo en cajas esperando una mudanza... prepara-y vos en Xixón, el día menos pensau, voy p'allá) la pongo aquí.

Saludos
Xurde / morbreiz
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Xurde, no sabía que Manolo Quirós cantaba, pero sí, les oreyes llargues ye marca de la casa en muchos asturianos (hasta mi güelu que yera de cara redonda y no-y pegaben nada!).
Pues hala, ven pa Xixón que se está de p.m.!

-----------------------------------------
Xurde (George), I didn't know that Manolo Quirós also sang, but indeed the long ears are a trademark of many Asturians (even my grandfather's, whose round face made them look out of place).
So, come on to Xixón then, it's a cool place to be!

Saludos
Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Reconsidering the photos of the gaitero

Post by Art »

Given better images, I have revised my thinking on my earlier post: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =1274#1274

To begin, I will repost the original photo José Antonio Menéndez Alvarez, my great-grandfather. Then I'll repost the photo of Toño de Raices that we saw on the first page of this thread.

--------------

Ya que tengo mejores imagenes, he cambiado mi pensamiento de un mensaje de antes: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =1274#1274

Para empezar, voy a poner otra vez la foto original de José Antonio Menéndez Alvarez, mi bizabuelo. Luego pongo de nuevo la foto de Toño de Raices que vemos en la página primera de este hilo.

José Antonio Menéndez Alvarez

Toño de Raices

Now take a look here at two more images of Toño de Raices (or his gear). All three photos of Toño of Raices, including the one above, are from the book by Echagüe, Tipos y Trajes.

In the first photo below, Toño of Raices is under an horreo (not clear here because I'm not showing the whole image). In the second, some other men strike a pose. I think the young guy is wearing Toño's vest, hat, and holding his gaita (the kid clearly doesn't know how to play the gaita). (Thanks to my friend, gaitera Ana Pinto, for pointing out the similarities of the hats.)

---------------

Ahora mira aquí dos otros imagenes más de Toño de Raices (o su equipo). Todos los tres fotos de Toño de Raices, contando la foto arriba, son de el libro Tipos y Trajes de Echagüe.

En la primera foto abajo, Toño de Raices está abajo de un horreo (no visible aquí porque no muestro la imagen completamente). En la segunda, otros hombres se hacen el interesante. Creo que el joven lleva el chaleco, montera, y gaita de Toño (claramente el chaval no sabe tocar). (Gracias a mi amiga, gaitera Ana Pinto, para notar las similitudes de las monteras.)

Toño de Raices abajo de un horreo

Parientes (?) de Toño de Raices con su equipo

Now, two close-up images of Toño of Raices' vest, then one image of José Antonio's.

----------

Primero, dos imagenes de primer plano del chaleco de Toño de Raices, luego un imagén del chaleco de José Antonio.

Image - - Image

chaleco de Toño de Raices

chaleco de José Antonio

It looks like there is a floral pattern on the vest. It's not wear and tear, as I had previously thought. And it's the same pattern on both. What is the chance that this would be the same pattern on vests owned by two different gaiteros in photos by different photographers? Very slim, I'd think.

---------

Parece que hay un diseño floral en el chaleco. No es de degaste natural, como pensaba antes. También, es el mismo diseño en ambos. ¿Que son las chances que sería el mismo estampado en chalecos que pertenecen a dos distintos gaiteros en fotos sacadas por distintos fotógrafos? Muy poco, creo.

And finally their faces.... They seem similar enough that they could be the same person, albeit with different lighting and another decade or two of aging.

Shown first is Toño de Raices in two photos, then José Antonio in one.

------

Al fin, sus caras.... Parecen bastante similar que pueden ser la misma persona, aunque con una iluminación distinta y unos décadas adicional de envejecimiento.

Se muestra primero Toño de Raices en dos fotos, luego en un foto José Antonio.

Toño de Raices

José Antonio

I'm now convinced that these are the same person. What do you think?

In a message below I've added more photos of the mouthpiece of the bagpipe.

---------
Ahora estoy convencido que éstos son la misma persona. ¿Qué te pensas?

En una mensaje abajo he añadido más imagenes del soplete de la gaita.
Last edited by Art on Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Art, the vest does look like it's the same and considering that they were handmade it's difficult that two different persons should have the same vest unless they knew eachother and borrowed it. The kid with the bag pipe has the same ears as Toño, so he could be a grandson or another relative.
Also, the last two pictures look like it could be the same person. It might be a good idea to get a mirror-image of one on transparent paper and superpose it on the other to see if the proportions are right. They do have the same nose and eyebrows, so what are the odds? Was your grandfather from Raíces or thereabouts?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Art, el chaleco parece ser el mismo y teniendo en cuenta que se hacían a mano es muy difícil que dos personas distintas tuvieran el mismo chaleco, a no ser que se conocieran y se lo prestaran. El chaval con la gaita tiene las mismas orejas que Toño, o sea que podría ser un nieto u otro pariente.
En las dos últimas fotos parece que podrían ser la misma persona. Sería buena idea hacer una imágen invertida de una cara sobre papel transparente y suponponerla sobre la otra para ver si están bien las proporciones. Tienen la misma nariz y cejas, así que cuántas posibilidades hay? Era tu abuelo de Raices o por ahí?

Terechu
Bob

Post by Bob »

They look very much like the same person to me. We humans are particularly good at recognizing similarities and differences in human faces, so I would go with your gut feeling.

Bob
Last edited by Bob on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

At the suggestion of Ana Pinto, I'm posting images of the bagpipes, especially the mouthpiece.

The mouthpieces and the top of the first section of the drone look very similar to me. What do you think?

----------------

A la sugerencia de Ana Pinto, pongo imagenes de las gaitas, especialmente los sopletes.

A mí el soplete y la parte superior de la prima de la roncón parecen muy similares. ¿Cómo te parecen?

José Antonio Menéndez Alvarez (above ^ arriba)

Toño de Raices (below V abajo)

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”