FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
Esgalaziau-Starving, hungry, famished - hambriento

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Asturian word of the week - Pallabra selmanal n'asturianu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marta Elena Díaz García

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Esgalaziau-Starving, hungry, famished - hambriento Reply with quote

The term “esgalaziau” means a person or an animal that is not just hungry but voracious, that is greedy for eating.

Related with esgalaziau are these other words: the verb, “esgalazar” = to be greedy and “esgalazamientu” = famine, feel the stomach empty due to hunger

One of my dogs is always “esgalaziau”, when he eats he does so fast that I think he doesn't chew the food. Even, he tries to steal the food of the others.

My mother says: "Esti perru siempre ta' esgalaciau; paez que nun comió en un mes". (This dog is always hungry; it seems he does not eat a month ago)
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does this word have a negative connotation? Would a person say, "Boy, I'm really hungry!" by using esgalaziau?

-----------------------------

¿Entonces, tiene esta palabra una connotación negativa? Se dice, "¡Vaya, tengo hambre!" utilizando esgalaziau?
Marta Elena Díaz García

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Connotation Reply with quote

Hi, Art

Yes, the word has a negative connotation. It may refer to a person that never is plenty, that never seems to be full Embarassed .....It is terrible but it is so.

However, the word "esfamiau" is also for a hungry person, for that who has no food to eat.

Marta. Very Happy
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'd say "greedy" (as you have already said), "gluttonous," or even "piggy".

---------------------

Tal vez digamos "greedy" ("codicioso") (como ya has dicho), "gluttonous" (glotón) o incluso "piggy" (actuar como un porco).
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: esgalaziau Reply with quote

How about "famished" in English?
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bob! Nice to see you back again!

Yes, it sounds like "esfamiau" would be closer to "famished" or maybe "ravenous." But "esgalaziau" seems to be pejorative (very negative meaning, not something you would say kindly or about yourself).

I guess that in English we can use "starving" or "famished" to mean both "to be very hungry" and also "to be so hungry as to be fearsome."

-------------------

¡Bienvenido, Bob! ¡Qué bueno verte otra vez por aquí!

Sí, parece que "esfamiau" sería más como nuestras palabras "famished" o tal vez "ravenous." Pero "esgalaziau" parece más peyorativa (muy negativa en sentido, no lo que se dice su mismo o con bondad).

Supongo que en inglés podamos utilizar "starving" (hambroso)" o "famished" (moriendo de hambre) en el sentido tanto de "tener mucha hambre" como "tener tanto hambre que sea aterrador a los demas".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Asturian word of the week - Pallabra selmanal n'asturianu All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: