Call for Chapters on Spaniards in US 1880s-1930s

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Call for Chapters on Spaniards in US 1880s-1930s

Post by Art »

We have received this notice from Phylis Martinelli. Let me (Art) know if you want to contact her. It's a great opportunity to highlight the contributions of Asturians in the US.
Call for Chapters in Edited Book on Spaniards in the US 1880s-1930s

. Phylis Cancilla Martinelli is looking for contributors to a book on Spanish workers in the period from 1880-1939. She is working with an editor at the University Press of Colorado, which has a strong interest in the topic.
The first area of interest for contributors would be mining and quarry work, since this is the
University’s primary focus in publishing. At present there are contributors on early mining in New Mexico, copper mining in Arizona, and coal mining in West Virginia. There is a tentative commitment to zinc mining in West Virginia. There are no contributors to quarry work, a definite commitment for zinc or mining in other parts of the U.S.

The second area of interest is manufacturing. At present there is a contributor for cigar making in New York.

The third area is Spaniards in Labor Activism. At present there is a contributor for cigar makers in Florida.

The fourth area is the topic of reception in the U.S. This means how were Spaniards in this time period received by Americans? Did they fit in easily or was there some degree of prejudice and discrimination. We have one contributor on this general topic.

In general a proposed contributor should have written on their topic already and either delivered a paper on their research, or written a MA thesis or PhD dissertation or published an article in a journal.
Having material previously published is not a problem as long as copy right permission is attained

So someone only starting research would not be ready enough most likely. This is because the publisher is willing to discuss a contract by the summer.

The book will have cohesive themes to be mentioned (the degree would vary) by each author: the “push” from Spain and area of Spain they came from, the role of the Spaniards in their area of work, (e.g. experts, skilled or unskilled workers), community and social life, the reception they received, and their labor leanings.

Please contact her by email (Contact Art for the address), even if you are not entirely sure you would fit the above profile. After an initial contact if there is a fit the prospective author would need to write a
100-200 abstract by the end of May. We hope to have a preliminary contract before Fall.
Last edited by Art on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
apolinar

Post by apolinar »

Hola
Sé que el post es antiguo ya, pero no sé si puedo aún hacer algo... he descubierto este foro (a raiz de la búsqueda del rastro de mis antepasados emigrantes en USA) y me entusiasma, estoy entrando ''de post en post'' leyendo historias.

El caso es que mi Tatarabuelo Apolinar Rica Pérez, de una aldea de Burgos, llegó en 1913 a Ellis Island. Resumiendo un poco todo lo que he descubierto ultimamente, de N. York llegó a la mina de carbón de Van Houten (Ratón, N. Mexico); de ahí a Brow´s Station [en los Catskills] y finalmente acabó de obrero en Carborundum Co., en Niagara Falls.

Como decía, no se si estoy a tiempo de colaborar con esa persona, o si resultaría de interés mis datos... o si a alguien del foro le puede sugerir algo alguno de estos datos y me puede arrojar luz o ayudar a seguir descubriendo cosas.

Gracias de antemano y enhorabuena por el foro.

------------------------
trans. Art

Hello
I know the post is old now, but I don't know if I can still do something ...

I discovered this forum (as part of a search for the trail of my ancestors who emigrated to the USA) and I was excited [tro find the forum]. I'm going from post to post reading stories.

The fact is that my great great grandfather, Apolinar Rica Perez, from a village in Burgos, came in 1913 to Ellis Island. Summarizing a bit all I've discovered lately, from New York he went to the Van Houten coal mine (in Ratón, New Mexico), then to Brow's Station [in the Catskills], and finally became a laborer at Carborundum Co. in Niagara Falls.

As I said, do not know if I have time to work with this person [Phylis Martinelli], or if my data would be of interest. Or perhaps someone on the forum could give me suggestions related to any of this information so that I can shed some light on [Apolinar's path] or help keep discovering things.

Thanks in advance and congratulations for the forum.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hola, Ángel,
He escrito a Phylis. A ver si nos responderá.
Un saludo, Art
apolinar

Post by apolinar »

Ok, muchas gracias.
Un saludo
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ángel, Phylis me escribió. Quiere entender mejor si tienes información para el libro o si quieres información sobre algo.

Creo que el trabajo en preparar el libro está bien avanzado.
apolinar

Post by apolinar »

Hola Art.
Me refería a colaborar, aunque no tenga toda la información que me gustaría tener. Para mí es poca, pero quizá le pueda ayudar. Me gustaría que fuese más.
Por supuesto, cualquier sinergia que pueda generarse sería muy interesante.
Puedo haceros llegar las notas de mi investigación con todos los datos de que dispongo por si algo le interesase, tanto a Philys directamente como a través de vosotros si lo prefiere.
Un saludo amigos
apolinar

Post by apolinar »

por cierto, he intentado escribir por una incidencia con mi foto de perfil a la dirección de los moderators de AsturianUS.org, pero me han rebotado el mensaje... es posible que no les haya llegado?
También, después de contestarte Art, le envié a Bob los apuntes de mi investigación, pero también me lo rebotó el servidor... Lo envié a su mail de contacto que aparece en la sección ''About Us''
Gracias y un saludo

[Art: He quitado el correo electrónico. No pegamos correos en el foro para evitar spam.]
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Phylis dice que le interesaría recibir sus datos o historias para la posibilidad de incluirlos en el libro. Si me los envías, los enviaré a Phylis. El correo al fondo de la página funciona bien.

El servidor tuvo un problema de hardware el 10/07/13, pero no recuerdo un problema el día anterior. Recibí tu mensaje. Si no tienes respuesta de Bob, inténtalo otra vez. Su correo funciona.

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”