Sojourn at Marianao, Cuba

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Sojourn at Marianao, Cuba

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hola Amigos,

My father, became a horse trainer starting in 1937, and his first international win came at the former and defunct Oriental Park Racetrack located at Marianao, Cuba, with a horse named, Tuleyries Ruby, on December 30, 1937. I do not know his last or total wins there because I have not yet researched the years of 1944 to 1952. 1943 was a restricted travel year outside the country.

There is not much left of the racetrack. I did not know that Dad had won approximately thirty-one races there between the years of 1937 to 1942, until beginning my research in 2008.

Looking at the attached picture of what is left of Oriental Park, makes me sad and also angry that I will never be able to visit this site where once he spent a good deal of his time in the winter months racing horses.

Azabache's win in 1940, probably made him the most money won for a single win. In 1942, he would saddle thirteen winners there making him the outstanding international trainer from West Virginia of Asturian heritage.

I am very proud of my father's sojourn at Marianao, and the great Cuban jockeys that rode so valiantly for him.

Manny (a.k.a. Manolito)

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”