Spanish Revolution 2011 - Democracia Real Ya

What is needed for Asturias to prosper?<br>
¿Qué se precisa para que Asturias prosperará?

Moderator: Moderators

Raquel M

Post by Raquel M »

A government big enough to give you everything you want

is strong enough to take everything you have.

Gerald R. Ford

Un gobierno tan grande como para darle todo lo que usted necesita

es tambien demasiado fuerte para quitarle todo lo que usted tiene.

Gerald R. Ford

Note:
Democrats = big government
Republicans= small government

Democratas = gobiernos grandes
Republicanos= gobiernos pequenos
Last edited by Raquel M on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

PART I

Sorry, but that's not Jefferson. It was Ford.
http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferso ... tquotation

Don't you get tired of all these factual errors? I do.

----------

Lo siento, pero no era Jefferson. Era Ford.
http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferso ... tquotation

¿No te cansa tantos errores de hechos? Yo, sí.
Last edited by Art on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

PART II

Good. The second part of your message, Raquel is an argument. It's got additional factual problems, but it's better than name calling.

Tell us: Who spent more? Bush II or Clinton? Which had bigger budget deficits?

How do you explain the expansion of government under these Republicans:

Eisenhower: created the Interstate Highway System, expanded FDR’s New Deal programs, offered direct federal funding to higher education in the 1957 National Defense Education Act

Nixon: created the Environment Protection Agency, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration, and the National Transportation Safety Board; signed the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Air Act

Ford: signed the Federal Elections Campaign Act of 1974, which created the Federal Election Commission and regulated public elections.

Reagan: added the Department of Veterans' Affairs, presided over a massive defense build-up, bailed out Social Security with tax increases and mandating that new federal workers would have to pay into the system. He also provided funding for covert or military adventures in Grenada, Lebanon, Nicaragua, Colombia, El Salvador, Panama, Afghanistan, Mozambique, Angola, Iran, Iraq and elsewhere.

Bush I: signed the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Clean Air Act, which increased pollution regulations. He worked for NAFTA, although it wasn't signed until Clinton. He increased federal financial support for space (especially the space station, I think), education, childcare, highways, and research. He also sent troops into Somalia, the Persian Gulf and Panama.

Bush II: Medicare Part D (expansion of prescription drug coverage for seniors), No Child Left Behind Act (which increased federal funding of education), the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP: the 700 billion Wall St. bailout), a new Department of Homeland Security, and even two big wars at the same time!

I'm not a historian, so I'm sure this list is incomplete, but it's definitely not true that Republicans have provided us with less government.

You might find this comparison of presidents illuminating:
http://www.eriposte.com/economy/other/demovsrep.htm
Raquel M

Post by Raquel M »

Thank you !!!

I already corrected it!

Gracias!!!

Ya lo arregle!

Return to “The Future of Asturias - El futuro de Asturias”