Foína-harmful-unsociable-hypocrite-dañina-huraña-cínica

Build your Asturian vocabulary with these definitions and examples<br />
Aumente tu vocabulario asturianu con estas definiciones y ejemplos

Moderators: Moderators, Asturian Vocabulary Posters

Marta Elena Díaz García

Foína-harmful-unsociable-hypocrite-dañina-huraña-cínica

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Este adjetivo, en femenino es foína (a veces también “fuguina"”) y en masculino foín (también “fuguín”).

Se utiliza para referirse a aquellas personas que son un poco misteriosas, que no tienen buenos sentimientos, son dañinas, hurañas. :evil:

Probablemente este adjetivo deriva del nombre latino de la garduña (martes foina) y se aplicó el carácter del animal a la actitud de determinadas personas. :twisted:

This adjective, for female is foína (sometimes you can hear “fuguina”) and for male is foin (also “fuguín").

The term is used for those persons that are cryptic, that are not caring persons, that are harmful and unsociable. :evil:

Probably, the term cames from the latin name of the “garduña” (martes foina), extending to persons the way the animal is :twisted: .

I could not find the English name for garduña as it is not a marten although it belongs to the same family.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting, Marta. I've never seen a marten in the US (although we have other varietes, I think), so I had to read about them to understand why they have such a negative image!

That species (Martes foina) would be called a "beech marten" or a "stone marten" in English. There is a description of them and a photo here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_Marten
We have a feral population in Wisconsin. ("Feral" means that they were released from captivity and have established themselves in the wild, but they were not native to the area.)

-------------------------------

Muy interesante, Marta. Nunca he visto un martes foina o garduña en los EE.UU. (aunque hay otras de esa familia, creo), ¡así que tuve que leer acerca de ellos para entender por qué tienen una imagen tan negativa!

Esta especie (Martes foina) se llama "beech marten" o "stone marten" en inglés. Hay una descripción y una foto aquí:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_Marten
Tenemos una población asilvestrado en Wisconsin. (Uso "asilvestrado" para significar que fueron liberados de su cautiverio y se han establecido en la naturaleza, pero no eran nativos en la zona.)
Bob

Martens and other species, Guarduñas y otro especies

Post by Bob »

comadreja = weasel
tejón = badger
garduña = marten

Bob
Marta Elena Díaz García

garduña vs marta

Dear Bob:

when I was trying to find the english name for "garduña" I found marten (in spanish marta, as my name). However, these are two different animals. The beach marten or stone marten that Art commented is our "garduña".
The "comadreja" (Mustela nivalis) and the "tejón" (meles meles) belong also to the "mustélidos", as the marten.

I have a very large family among the "mustélidos". I love all them in spite of their negative image, particularly that of the marta that loves henhouses and all it can eat inside....... :mrgreen:

Marta.
Anzu
Translator

Animales/ Animals

Post by Anzu »

English = Asturian = Spanish

Weasel = Mustadiella = Comadreja

Marten = Fuína, garduña = Marta

Otter = Llóndriga = Nutria

Badger = Melandru, melón, raxacu, tasugu = Tejón

Ferret = Furón = Hurón

Anzu.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ah, pero nuestra Marta no es una "marta".

----------------

Yeah, but our Marta isn't a "marten!"
Marta Elena Díaz García

Thanks to...

Hi, Art:

Thanks for your opinion of me :D ....... and thanks to God (1000 times)because the marten is not like me!!!! :mrgreen:.
Marta

Return to “Asturian word of the week - Pallabra selmanal n'asturianu”