War Service by Asturian-Americans

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

War Service by Asturian-Americans

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hello Everyone,

I read in the book, Pinnick Kinnick Hill, that there were Asturian immigrants living in Harrison County, West Virginia, who volunteered during World War I while they were still citizens of Spain.

During World War II, many Asturian Americans and immigrants without citizenship status were either drafted or volunteered. My Dad was required as a foreign national to register and failed his pre-induction physical. He was also required to do community wartime service and worked as a volunteer in the Salvation Army Organization.

Two of my first cousins, Joe and Manuel, from Fairmont, (Marion County), West Virginia, served in the navy. Joe was wounded when his ship was sunk by a 500 pound bomb in the Mediteranean. Joe was one of two survivors. Manuel served in the Pacific. My parents had photographs of them in their naval uniforms and letters from both of them. My dad was very proud of his nephews.

My youngest brother served in the navy during the Vietam War and actually was able to visit Spain. I was turned down due to medical reasons.

In our remembrance of those who served and the sacrifices of the Asturian families during the war, we should not forget the Asturian families in Spain who provided food, shelter, and travel guides to our downed flyers who escaped France to the safety of Spain. Many of these families probably had relatives living and working in West Virginia.

Manny

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”