Vecindad Anmoore

News about books, recordings, films, etc. related to Asturias.<br>
Noticias acerca de libros, discos, películas, etc. relacionados con Asturies.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Vecindad Anmoore

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hello Everyone,

Vecindad, Anmoore is a painting by Asturian American Artist, Emilio Fernandez Alvarez. It depicts a winter scene of Anmoore, West Virginia, with El Pico in the background. It is featured on the cover jacket of the book, Pinnick Kinnick Hill. It is owned by Art Zoller Wagner and Emilio is his grandfather. I am not sure of the date it was painted.

For me, the painting evokes an emotional feeling of attachment since learning from the 1920 U.S. Census that my father came to Anmoore in the winter of January, 1920.

Further, this work of art provides me with a remembrance of my own leave taking and moving to Morgantown, West Virginia, in 1972, during a snow storm. Anmoore and Morgantown are close to each other.

It also provides me with a picture of what Anmoore must have looked like when my father first arrived there some ninety years ago.

Art is a medium that elicits an emotional reaction from the viewer, and Vicindad, Anmoore has certainly affected me.

Hopefully, I will get to tour Anmoore this October, 2011, during the Spanish Festival. Unfortunately, the 1920 Census left out the house number where Dad once stayed with his sister, brother-in-law, their three children ,and two brothers.

I know that Dad would have immediately recognized the Spanish community of Anmore from Vecindad, Anmoore. It is forever ethched into my mind and heart.

Manny, (a.k.a. Manolito)
Bob

Asturiams in Spelter

Post by Bob »

My father was born to Asturian parents in Spelter, WV. He lived in a house that was either next to or across the street from the barbershop/poolhall. The proprietor was famous for telliing local kids to "piss and go home."

My dad remembered two streets - one for the zinc smelter and one for the houses - and a small stream running through the town. Everyone spoke Asturian accented Spanish. The Anglos, the Italians, the Poles, everyone.

He once fell into the stream and couldn't swim. Someone saved him by grabbing him by the hair and pulling him out. He didn't remember who it was who came to his rescue.
Manuell Alvarez

Bob,

Thanks for sharing your father's remembrances of his sojourn there in the Spanish community of Spelter. My father never mentioned Spelter or Anmoore, nor, did I ever hear his brother and sister mention them either. They spoke about Shinnston, Rivesville, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Morgantown, and Flemington.

I have enjoyed reading about your dad's experiences there; your grandparents and father probably knew my father and his family since I understand that they were a very close knit community.

My father spoke Italian and some Greek and it was Harrison County where he probably learned these lanuages. It is interesting that the different ethnicities learned each others lanuages.

You and I share the same heritage of Slovakian on our maternal side. I regret that I did not ask more questions of my parents. We were treated to a special occasion when my mother would open a large steamer trunk kept in their bedroom that contain many letters, telegrams, photographs, and other family memorabilia. Unfortunately, it disappeared when Dad moved into an apartment while I was living in Morgantown.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Here's the painting Manny wrote about.
----------------------
Aquí está el cuadro de que escribió Manny.

Manuell Alvarez

Art,

Thank you for posting it on the forum. It is a great painting!

Manny
c32palmer

My house

Post by c32palmer »

Hello everybody, im new to this but the white house in the middle of the picture is my property. It still stands today and i have completely renovated the property. Hopefully pictures to follow.
Chad, i live in Anmoore West Virginia. If you have any questions about Anmoore please ask and i will do my best to get a answer.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Chad!

It would be great to see updated photos of the building.

You might enjoy reading the book Pinnick Kinnick Hilll which is mostly about the early days of Anmoore.
Pinnick Kinnick Hill: An American Story (That's our Amazon affiliate link. Clicking on that link doesn't change your cost, but does support the forum.)

I've posted a photo in this message:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 1991#21991
Do you know anything about that building, which I think was "the cigar factory"?

--------------

¡Bienvenido, Chad!

Sería muy interesante ver las fotos actualizadas de la casa.

Tal vez te gustaría el libro "Pinnick Kinnick Hill" que trata de Anmoore en el siglo pasado.
Pinnick Kinnick Hill: An American Story (Ese es nuestro enlace de afiliado de Amazon. Al hacer clic en ese enlace el costo para ti no cambia, pero ayuda al foro.)

He publicado una foto en este mensaje:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 1991#21991
¿Sabes algo acerca de ese edificio, que creo que era "la fábrica de puros"?
c32palmer

Here is the house now, notice the church in the background.

Post by c32palmer »

Chad, i live in Anmoore West Virginia. If you have any questions about Anmoore please ask and i will do my best to get a answer.
c32palmer

This is my parents house. Notice the second story deck.

Post by c32palmer »

c32palmer

Resized, more pics to come.

Post by c32palmer »

Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I love that painting and it's really a treat to see the houses restored so prettily and to hear from the current owners. Thanks for posting the photos, Chad.
c32palmer

thank you

Post by c32palmer »

The church in the back was on the national news about four years ago when its steeple collapsed in a horrible wind storm. Since then there are new electronic bells installed.

Return to “Review/Recommendation - Crítica/recomendación”