Asturian American Census Identity

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Asturian American Census Identity

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hello Everyone,

The 2010 U.S. Census failed to reveal our Asturian heritage. We told the census taker that we are Spanish Hispanics for a lack of a better classification on the census form.

Spanish Hispanic does not help to clarify my long standing desire for recognition of the Asturian descendants who have been contributing to this country. I am guilty in not clarifying my own heritage when I had the chance.

We Asturians are simply lumped in the same category with other Spanish peoples for the sake of convenience.

Hopefully, in a future census, if I am stilling living in 2020, I will insist that we be classified as Asturian Spanish.

We have been largely ignored and overlooked by both state and federal governments. Our Asturian -American Migration Forum gives us voice and an opportunity to be counted; unfortunately, the census does not.

Someone termed our Asturian families who emmigrated to this country as the "forgotten ones", and so are we, the descendants.

Manny, (a.k.a. Manolito)
Joniwrite1

Census 2010

Post by Joniwrite1 »

I'd completely forgotten about this. The woman who ambushed me when I was entering my home put me through the drill. When she came to nationality I replied "Asturiano, Spanish." She asked "Mexican?," I said no, "Basque?," I replied no. She looked perplexed , and then angry that I wouldn't just be Mexican. I told her that my family lived thousands of miles from Mexico, and she just blinked at me. I saw her check Hispanic as she turned to leave.

There are thousands of sub-cultures in the world, and I suppose we should have some compassion for Census Workers who have to deal with such a diverse country. It might be nice if they carried a simple map of the World's Continents:)
Joniwrite1
Manuell Alvarez

Joni,

I appreciate hearing about your experiences and thank you for responding. Hopefully, everything is going well with you. Yes, it was unannounced visit.

As a former federal civil servant, I have compassion for these workers. Further, they can not change anything: however, the Census Bureau Director has the authority.

Most people received the Census papers through the mail, but since we have a p.o. box, we were somehow left out of the mass mailings and a local census taker had to come to our home and, we were interviewed to which we gave answers to his questions.

He had no problem with our claiming to be Spanish Hispanics; however, we did not see what he placed on the form. There should be a blank designated as other which gives one the opportunity to be precise with their ethnicity.

The only thing that we did not answer were the questions about incomes. One can not refuse to answer the other questions.

Manny
Manuell Alvarez

Hola Amigos,

In my letter to the U.S. Census Bureau, I had asked that they consider listing our Asturian Spanish heritage as one of the classification choices for the 2020 Census. Unfortunately, I did not request the opinion of everyone on the Forum.

In reflection, I now believe that I should probably have requested the terminology, "European Spanish Heritage", to closely catagorize our legacy.

From 1870 to 1940, the Census Bureau Agency used the terminology, "persons born in Spain". That may have adequately described our heritage then, when there was a large immigration from Spain, it does not help us with our identities now, especially, when we, the descendants deserve to be properly recognized. Further, those early pre- 1870, Spanish settlers in Florida, Louisiana, California, and the Southwest were totally ignored under that terminology, just as the descendants are today.

It points out that we can best write our own history without depending on the government to provide us with their interpretation of who we are. I am very proud to be an American of Asturian Spanish heritage.

Please let me know what you think.

Tu amigo,

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'm having second thoughts. Here's the question that made me start wondering: How does the census handle people of German, French, or English heritage? Perhaps we already have special status because we're able to claim "Hispanic," even if that's a confusing label.

I can see why the census bureau wouldn't want to list a bazillion ethnic and regional groupings. And which should most Americans check, given that most of us are Heinz 57 mutts?

Part of me wishes they'd simply eliminate the whole question of origin.
Manuell Alvarez

Art,

For years, in the government by special request, I was listed as Spanish Hispanic, and I believe you are right on with your suggestion about getting rid of the whole question of origin. It would get rid of a lot of problems; although, I am very proud of our heritage and the fact that I am the Asturian Spanish primer hijo, (first Born), Asturian descendant in Jefferson County. Further, I like your analogy of being Heinz 57 mutts.

I guess that the terminologia, "European Spanish", would be a better classification and fit. Of course, there is the old saying: be careful of what you ask for, because you might get it and have to live with it. I guess I am having second thoughts and in this environment, I am probably only going to be placed on hold and given the silent treatment.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

You may find this article on ethnic labels on the US census interesting:
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2011/09/25/opinion/022a2pol
Thanks to Carlos for sending the link.

-------------------

Te interesarás este artículo sobre las palabras que se usan en describir a la gente de habla castellaño en el censo estadounidense:
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2011/09/25/opinion/022a2pol
Gracias a Carlos por enviarnos el eslabon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hispanos o latinos
Jorge Durand
La Jornada 2011/09/25

El censo de Estados Unidos ha empezado a liberar información procesada sobre los hispanos, de acuerdo con el censo de 2010, y sobre los extranjeros que provienen de América Latina y el Caribe, de acuerdo con la encuesta American Community Survey. Ambos documentos se pueden encontrar en Internet y se les identifica como briefs o resúmenes breves.

Los latinos en 2010 sumaron 50.5 millones, 15 más que en 2000. Y representan 16.3 por ciento de la población total. Pasaron de un modesto 12.5 por ciento –que apenas superaba a la minoría negra por una fracción de punto porcentual– a marcar una gran diferencia. La población negra está prácticamente estancada y la que crece es la hispano-latina, tanto por crecimiento natural como por inmigración.

Otro punto que llama la atención es que México forma parte de Centroamérica en ambos documentos. Ya han pasado 15 años del TLC y seguimos sin ser considerados como Norteamérica. En buena parte, porque de eso se trata, de un tratado comercial y nada más. No implica integración a otros niveles.

En realidad el censo estadunidense ha ido variando las categorías y definiciones desde que en 1970 decidieron manejar como categoría aparte a los hispanos-latinos-españoles. En efecto, con esas tres categorías pretenden agruparnos a todos. No obstante, persisten los problemas. Cuando se trata de mexicanos de origen, el censo distingue tres categorías: mexicanos, mexico-americanos y chicanos. Finalmente optó por olvidarse de los españoles, que son los mexicanos de Nuevo México que pregonan su herencia hispana y se autodefinen como españoles y se confunden con los peninsulares.

Las confusiones vienen de atrás y el chasco fue mayúsculo cuando en el censo de 1990 decidieron distinguir a los mexicanos de los centroamericanos. Resulta que en Kansas, según los resultados del censo, se concentraba un número inusitado de centroamericanos. Lo que resultaba sumamente extraño. Cuando fueron a verificar en campo los datos, resulta que para muchos rancheros de Kansas, ellos eran el "centro" de America (de Estados Unidos), y por eso marcaron esa casilla, aunque no tuvieran nada que ver con los guatemaltecos o salvadoreños.

La simpleza de dividir a blancos y negros se complica con los hispano-latinos, que pueden ser blancos, negros, mestizos o indios, incluso asiáticos. La categoría hispano-latino no es racial, pero en la práctica opera como tal. Ya no tanto por el color de la piel, como por el origen nacional, la lengua o el ancestro.

El prurito ha llegado a tal nivel que los blancos ya no son blancos en Estados Unidos, tampoco los negros. Ahora son white non hispanic o black non hispanic. Y esa es la punta del iceberg. Todavía no han empezado a tallar con el problema de los "asiáticos" que pueden ser de origen indio, chino, coreano, japonés, tailandés, laosiano, etcétera.

No todo es culpa del censo estadunidense. De hecho la confusión y los problemas de identidad son más un problema nuestro que de ellos. Pero el espíritu anglosajón, que lo quiere ordenar y clasificar todo, pretende resolver el problema. Un problema ancestral e irresoluble, porque somos al mismo tiempo latinoamericanos, hispanoamericanos e iberoamericanos. Y cada definición incluye y excluye a determinados países. Latinoamérica excluye a España e incluye a Brasil, es el espíritu latino frente a lo anglo que se acuñara en la Francia del siglo XIX. Hispanoamérica significaba dos cosas: primero la América criolla de origen español pero contestataria, luego los españoles nos vendieron el mito de la madre patria y los hijos pródigos volvieron al redil y formamos parte de Hispanoamérica, que excluye a Brasil. Por su parte, Iberoamérica incluye a Brasil y a Portugal.

No hay modo de resolver el entuerto. En buena parte, porque el gigante Brasil no se siente parte de Latinoamérica. Es más, está tratando de resolver su propio problema identitario al modo estaunidense: distinguiendo razas. Cerca de 80 por ciento de los brasileños tiene origen negroide. Pero ahora uno se puede autoidentificar como "negro" y obtener ciertos beneficios de un programa de "acción afirmativa" o de justicia histórica con un sector del país tradicionalmente discriminado.

Mientras que los negros cubanos o dominicanos se sienten y se identifican como hispanos o latinos, no sucede lo mismo con los migrantes brasileños. Un estudio realizado en Boston, donde se concentra gran parte de la emigración brasileña, indica que muchos de ellos prefieren identificarse, o hacerse pasar, por negros. Lo cual tiene una gran ventaja. Hoy en día el peor estigma es ser considerado como indocumentado o ilegal. Por eso prefieren pasar por negros y mimetizarse con un grupo sobre el que no cabe duda de su legalidad.

Queda todavía un asunto pendiente. Qué hacer con los españoles peninsulares, que no quieren ser considerados en Estados Unidos como hispanos o latinos. Dizque ahora son de origen europeo, aunque hace unos años decían que Europa empezaba más allá de los Pirineos.

Finalmente hay que señalar que en Estados Unidos el término hispano se utiliza mucho más que el de latino, aunque éste haya ido cobrando fuerza en los últimos años. No tiene sentido hablar de música, comida o bailes hispanos. O mejor dicho tiene totalmente otro sentido. Pero se habla de herencia hispana y no de herencia latina. De hecho hay políticas editoriales específicas. The New York Times utiliza simpre el término hispano, mientras que Los Angeles Times utiliza siempre el término latino.

Por lo pronto la confusión ya provocó que un político afirmara, ante un público hispano-latino, que se iba a poner a estudiar latín…

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”