Bangos in Louisiana

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

james.bango

Bangos in Louisiana

Post by james.bango »

Hola a todos! My name is James Bango and someone in our family’s distant past came to New Orleans, Louisiana from Asturias. I have a marriage license for John Anthony Bango and Rosa Garcia. The marriage license indicates that John Anthony’s father was Manuel Bango. On previous documents his name was listed as Juan Bango so, perhaps his name was, Juan Manuel Bango. The mother was listed as Lina Bango.
We know that John Anthony Bango was born in New Orleans on December 18, 1853 and his date of marriage was April 13th 1872.

If anyone has any information concerning the above I would appreciate you posting it.

This past summer I went to Gijón, Spain and met with Héctor Bango Pradas who lives there. We have been corresponding for over a year now. I had a great time and learned how to pour sidra with outstretched arms. I even got a chance to visit Bango, Spain, a beautiful little farming community. Gracias. JB
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, James!

If you're looking for someone named Bango from that time period, you'll have to check church records because it's before the civil registry began. Perhaps one of our members can tell us what churches were near Bango and where those records are now stored. That's where I'd start.

I didn't realize that Bango was a place name. Google Maps shows that Bango (Corvera de Asturias) is just south of Avilés. That could explain why there were a number of Bangos in the Clarksburg WV area (where many Asturians immigrated to after living near or working at the Arnao zinc factory).

Maybe Ron González can tell you about the Clarksburg Bangos.

If you can write in Spanish, it will help your search if you translate your messages for those who don't read English.

--------------------------------

¡Bienvenido, James!

Si estás buscando a alguien llamado Bango de esa época, tendrás que buscar en los registros de la iglesia, ya que era antes de que el registro civil comenzó. Tal vez uno de nuestros miembros nos pueda decir cuáles iglesias estaban cerca de Bango y donde sus documentos se almacenan ahora. Ahí es donde empezaría.

No me di cuenta de que Bango es un nombre de un lugar. Google Maps muestra que Bango (Corvera de Asturias) se ubica justo al sur de Avilés. Eso podría explicar porqué hubo bastantes Bangos en la zona de Clarksburg WV (donde muchos asturianos emigraron después de que vivían cerca o trabajaban en la fábrica de zinc Arnao).

Quizás Ron González te dirá sobre los Bangos de Clarksburg.

Si sabes escribir en español, te ayudará a la búsqueda si traduces tus mensajes para aquellos que no saben leer inglés.
Bob

Bango

Post by Bob »

There was an Asturian Bango family living in Niagara Falls, NY, originally from Spelter , WV. They had no interest in exchanging information or staying in contact. The last of them, David Bango died in March of 2010.
Truch

Bango-Truch Connection in New Orleans

Post by Truch »

James, I am interested in learning more about your Bango ancestors. Your John Anthony Bango appears to have been close to my family, headed by Manuel Truch, my great-great grandfather. The obituary of one of Manuel's sons, Paul Urban Truch, lists Anthony Bango as his deceased brother. Very confusing. But our unconfirmed oral family history provides that Truch many not have been my great-great grandfather's real name. Oral history provides that he left Spain at a young age to escape from a strict stepmother and my great aunt suspected that he changed his name. This may be a crazy theory, but perhaps the Manuel Bango listed as the father of John Anthony Bango on his marriage certificate was actually Manuel Truch. I would love to know the names of witnesses on that certificate.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Bango family

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, James:

I have found a file in which Antonio Bango Miranda, from Cancienes (Corvera de Asturias), married to Rosa Alvarez Díaz, asked permission for their sons, Matheo and José, both single, travel to La Habana. There, they should stay with a relative, Fructuoso Alvarez.
Date of the document: 1827-01-17

In the file, you can find the baptism certificate of Matheo

Parents: Antonio Bango Miranda (from Cancienes, Corvera) and Rosa Alvarez Díaz (from Llanes).
Paternal grandparents: Juan Bango Miranda and (...don't understand the name) Barreda
Maternal grandparents: Francisco Alvarez and Francisca Díaz.

Matheo was baptized in the church of San Pedro de Con, in Cangas de Onís. The names he was given were: Matheo, Genaro, Lino, Mauricio. He was born 21 August 1811.

José:
He was baptized in the church of Santa María de Cancienes, 8th December 1813. The name he was given was: José María.

May these persons be the ancestors of your ancestors?.
Marta. :D
Truch

Post by Truch »

John - I may have some answers for you. My theory about the parentage of John Anthony Bango is wrong. I have since discovered why there is a strong connection between the Bango and Truch families in New Orleans. I have a marriage documents for the marriage between Manuel Truch and Magdelena Rass which identify Magdelena as the widow of Juan Bango. So the Lina referred to you in a previous post is Magdelena Rass, my great-great grandmother. I am trying to learn more about Juan Bango. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”