Coca

Recipes for loaf breads & rolls.<br>
Recetas para barras, pan de molde, y bollos.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Coca

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hola Amigos,

While searching on the internet for a flatbread recipe like my mother used to make in an iron skillet on top of a wood stove, I found a Spanish flatbread called Coca, and according to one internet source it supposedly originated in Catalonia and the Balearics. It was written that it is a very popular dish in Catalonia. It resembles Mom's bread; except, we usually ate the bread plain and without toppings.

Further, one source likened it to pizza and an opened empanada: although, the Coca does not appear to have the tradtional cheese and tomato like a pizza. Another site emphasized that it is usually cooked in masonry ovens and for toppings has onions, piquillo peppers, anchovies, and extra virgin olive oil for driizzling.

The great Asturian Chef, Jose Andres, has a recipe that utilizes Manchego cheese and olives to take it to another level of taste. I have found several flatbread recipes on the internet, and I suspect that just about every culture has some version. The toppings make Coca unique to Spain.

Buen Provecho , Amigos,

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Manny, Could you give us some links and a recipe for Coca?

--------------------------

Hola, Manny, ¿Vas a darnos unos eslabones y una receta?
Manuell Alvarez

Art,

Here are some sites that I have visited:

Spanish Flatbreads Made Easy:
http://mary-luz-mejia.suite101.com/span ... sy-a230779

A Mingling of Tastes: Catalan Flatbread
www.aminglingoftastes.com/2007/09/catal ... ppers.html

Spanish Flatbread Recipe:
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-012674x.html

Spanish Food Recipes, Coca Bread:
http://www.welcome-2-mallorca.com/coca-bread.html

Coca: It's Spanish for Pizza:
http://www.latimes.com/features/la-fo-c ... 1634.story

As you may already know, my computer and research skills are not that great. Hopefully, one can access these sites with the information I have provided. I use "Google" quite a lot.

I believe that one might find the Coca recipe along with other Spanish culinary delights in the cookbooks written by Jose Andres on the La Tienda site. I was wondering how old are these flatbreads, and I would like to have the history concerning Coca. Especially, how old is the practice of baking Cocas, and is it popular in Asturias as well? Lastly, is it just a tapas food?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Manny. Links can be difficult. I've corrected them so others won't have trouble, although you may want to test them! With links, you want to give the link to the pages you want people to visit. A link to the main LA Times site, would force people to search for the article and many don't know how to do that.
Manuell Alvarez

Art,

Thank you very much. You are very kind and gracious. I probably need to order Jose Andres' reecipe book, since I really enjoyed his TV show, "Made In Spain". Unfortunately, I switched from cable and lost the channel featuring authenic Spanish food prepared in each province, including Asturias.

Some articles mentioned that they adapted his recipe from his tapas book. I am not sure why Mom made flat bread in a skillet; although, it may have been because Dad preferred that style and method of making bread. The flat bread probably reminded him of his home. She also used olive oil in all her cooking special ordered in one gallon tins back in the day.

Hopefully, Coca will be on the menus of some of the major pizza chains and restaurants before long.

Manny

Return to “Breads - Panes”