Post by Bob »

Garlic Soup - Sopa de Ajo

4 slices one or two day old Italian bread
olive oil
6-10 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
paprika
1 can chicken broth (not condensed)
water

Fry the slices of stale bread in olive oil until nearly browned, then sprinkle heavily with parika on both sides and fry until nicely browned. Remove from pan. Add crushed garlic to the olive oil (add more oil if needed) and fry on low heat until it just begins to brown. Add the bread previously fried in olive oil and equal amounts of chicken broth and water.

Mash the bread with a potato masher, and simmer until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper as desired, and more paprika if needed. Serve hot.

An egg poached in the soup is also very good, and adds a bit of protein. This is peasant food pure and simple. It is enormously good if you like garlic.
Daysi Caldevilla-Duing

yumm

Post by Daysi Caldevilla-Duing »

My dad, Roberto Caldevilla, would sometimes make that for me and him late at night after my mom was already asleep as a late night snack. I always considered a rare treat. And when I was a struggling college student I'd make it for myself because it was cheap and easy.

Although, my dad would beat the egg first and drizzle it in as the "caldo" was simmering. It kind of had the texture of chinese egg-drop soup. But it tasted great!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I made a similar dish last night. I used spelt noodles in place of the bread. As I finished adding the ingredients, I discovered that I couldn't leave it that simple, so I added some kale for a little color! I was surprised that the garlic didn't have a strong flavor, but I think I overdid the paprika.

----------------------

Hice un plato parecido anoche. Usé fideos de escanda en lugar del pan. ¡Cuando terminé añadiendo los ingredientes, descubrí que no pude dejarlo tan simple, tuve que añadir alguna col rizada para darlo color! Me interesé que el ajo no tuvo mucha fuerza de sabor, pero pienso que añadí demasiado pimentón dulce.
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

Para mí lo ideal aquí es añadir el pimentón en mezcla y sin racanear; tanto dulce como picante, pues la sopa tiene así otra alegría.

Otra de las cosas que solemos hacer; tanto yo como mi pareja, es añadir unas puntas de jamón curado y huevo hilado.

Hacer el huevo hilado es muy fácil: bates uno o dos huevos, le añades un pelín de agua o leche, lo echas a la sopa cuando esté acabando de hacerse y lo remueves, de manera que quedan como unos tropezoncitos flotantes en la sopa de textura muy agradable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me the ideal thing here is to add mixed paprika and not being scroogy with it; this is, using both sweet and hot paprika, since therefore the soup will have another temper.

Another of the things we use to do; both my couple and I, is to add some cured ham tips and threaded egg.

It's very easy to make the threaded egg: Shake one or two eggs, add a tiny bit of water or milk, you put it into the soup when it's finishing itself and stir up, so it's left like little floating chunks of a very nicce texture.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ah, I like the idea of mixing the sweet and hot paprika! I'll try that! But I may have added too much, though: about 3/4 tsp for 2 cups of soup. Thanks for the ideas!

-------------------

¡Ah, me encanta la idea de mezclar el pimentón dulce y el picante! ¡Voy a probarlo! Pero puede haber añadido demasiado: cerca de 3/4 de una cucharadita de té para 2 tazas de sopa. ¡Gracias por las ideas!
HistoryBrooke

Post by HistoryBrooke »

I know I'm coming on here a lil' late, but I wanted to commend you on this wonderful recipe. I've always been super intrigued by Asturian-American cultures (including their foods) and this dish is obviously no exception. Not only am I a history buff...but I'm a bit of a foodie. . .especially for soups. Do you folks use refrigerator water filter to clean out your water before use for broth?

Welp, I'll leave you all to talk amongst yourselves. Thanks for allowing me to chime in. Mind if I use this recipe? :)

Thanks, folks!
Brooke

Return to “Soups - Sopas”