Centro Asturiano in Habana Cuba

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Annette

Centro Asturiano in Habana Cuba

Post by Annette »

I just recently learned the my ggrandfather was a founder of the Centro Asturiano en Habana Cuba. His name was Manuel Gonzalez Vega born in 1859 in Perlora Spain and died in 1911 in Habana Cuba.

Manuels's father was also Manuel Gonzalez Vega born in 1819 in Perlora. paternal grandparents were Antonio Gonzalez Posada born in Perloraand Maria Vega Leon also born in Perlora before 1819.
Manuel's mother was Vienta Vega Garcia her parents were Juan de la Vega Busto and Isabel Garcia-Salinas Fernandez Perodnes from Perlora.

The Centro Asturiano was founded in 1886, and in 1911 (before he died) they created a memory book for him. We don't have any pictures of him whatsovever and this memory book was given to a family friend (?) who lives in Valladoid, and donated it to the Museo de los Indies (?). The details are sketchy, but I have looked for this Museo de los Indies and have found nothing. I would love to locate this memory book, we have no pictures of him and it's frustrating because I know they are out there. If anyone can lead me in the correct direction I would appreciate it.

Gracias, Annette
princessbaq@hotmail.com
Carlos

Museum

Post by Carlos »

Hola, Annette.

Creo que el museo al que te refieres no se llama Museo de los Indies, sino Archivo de Indianos ("indianos" o "americanos" era como se llamaba en Asturies a los emigrantes que regresaban después de haber logrado hacer fortuna en las Américas). Se halla en la localidad asturiana de Colombres, y tiene una página web propia:
http://www.archivodeindianos.es/portada_intro.htm

Siendo tu abuelo un personaje tan destacado, no creo que su nombre les resulte desconocido. Creo que sería buena idea ponerte en contacto con ellos, en la página web tienen una dirección de e-mail. Si consigues averiguar algo, no dejes de ponernos al corriente.

Un saludo desde Asturies. 8)

----------
Translated by Art

Hello, Annette.

I think the museum that you're referring to isn't called "Museo de los Indies," but "Archivo de Indianos." ("indianos" or "americanos" is how Asturians refer to the immigrants who returned [to Asturias] after having made their fortunes in the Americas). [The museum] is located in the Asturian town of Colombres and has it's own Web site:
http://www.archivodeindianos.es/portada_intro.htm

Since your grandfather was an prominent figure, I don't think that his name would be unknown to them. I think that it would be a good idea to get in contact with them. They have an email address on their Web site. If you manage to learn something, don't forget to let us know about it.

Best wishes from Asturies. 8)
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi Annette,
I believe you will be pleased to know that the Centro Asturiano de La Habana was moved to Asturias after Castro came to power and it is now in Gijón at the following address:

Centro Asturiano de La Habana
Paseo de Begoña 22
33206 Gijón - Asturias
Tel. 0034-985 344 204

Many of its senior members, many Cuban-born Asturians, meet there every day for coffee or a game of cards. I'm sure that, if your grandfather was one of the original founders, they will have information on him.

-----------------------------------
Hola Annette,
Creo que te agradará saber que el Centro Asturiano de La Habana se trasladó a Asturias después de que Castro llegara al poder, y que está ubicado en Gijón, en la siguiente dirección:

Centro Asturiano de La Habana
Paseo de Begoña 22
33206 Gijón - Asturias
Tel. 0034-985 344 204

Muchos de sus socios más antiguos aún se reunen allí todos los días a la hora del café o a jugar a las cartas.
Estoy segura de que, si tu abuelo fue uno de los fundadores, tendrán información sobre él.

Saludos
Terechu
Txomin

Post by Txomin »

Hi,
this is my first message to the forum and I would like to thank your work.

Are the files of "Centro Asturiano de La Habana" still in Cuba or they were destroyed?

Is there any institution inside Cuba that could help me to find some information related to this family?

Is there any institution inside US that could help me to find some information related to this family?

Thank you in advance

Javier

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”