Clarksburg, WV Menendez family

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Lastwave

Clarksburg, WV Menendez family

Post by Lastwave »

First of all i really owe all the researchers on this forum a huge thanks. iv read all the spelter\menendez post, and unfortunately it left me with more questions then answers.

My father's name is Leonard Menendez. he was born in 1951. I do not know his fathers name for sure, but i do know that he may also be named leonard, he died in 1975.

my father grew up in clarksburg. always talked about swimming in a sulfur creek? and playing with blasting caps as a boy.
His nick-name was "Giz". im told they called him that because he had a shirt that said "im a little gizmo"
he also said he he had cousins(?) named franky and freddie. both were killed in the same tank in vietnam.
he was raised by his grandmother (ma-maa he called her) while his mother and father lived here in ohio (revenna,ohio portage county)

my father has 3 brothers donny,dick, and dave. and one sister caroline.
they were raised in ohio while my dad was with his grandmother in WV.
i dont know when my dad left, but i think it was when he enlisted to serve in vietnam.

he spoke about an aunt "PEPE." but i see there are several "pepe"s
or is it the same person?

i was also told that his grandmother may have later moved to charleston.

iv read that there were 4 menendez families in WV all unrelated. im just trying to narrow it down to which one.

my father has since died so i really dont have much to go on.
any info would help, im planning a trip there this spring to do some searching.
thanks again.
Bradley Menendez
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Lastwave!

One way to clear up a lot of questions is to get birth, death and marriage certificates. You can do that by mail, or you can do it when you go visit. If you go in person, it'll probably have to be a weekday.

Harrison County Clerk's Office
www.harrisoncountywv.com
301 West Main Street
Clarksburg, WV 26301-2974
304-624-8611

If your dad was born in Harrison County, they'll have his birth certificate, and probably other documents about your grandparents.
Lastwave

Post by Lastwave »

Thank you sir.
you are fast!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

And slow, all at the same time!

Here's the PDF of their application form for a certificate:
http://www.harrisoncountywv.com/include ... cation.pdf
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Bradley,

If you let me know when you will be in Clarksburg, I'll meet you. I think I can help you. Check this website: look under West Virginia, go to Spelter, WV, then the name Leo Menendez Jr. Leo was the brother of Frank and Freddie.

http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm
rmenendez

Post by rmenendez »

Bradley Menendez

Your grandfather was my uncle. His name was Leonard but everyone called him "Foot". He was born in Harrison County and was faised at Spelter.

After he died I lost track of his children including your dad. You still have relatives in the Spelter area, and your grandfather has one living brother, Louie menendez living in Shinnston, West Virginia.

The aunt Pepa you mentioned was your grandfathers sister. She died a couple of years ago but her husband still lives in Tallmadge, Ohio. His name is Harold Wilson. You also have several relatives in that area.

Frankie and Freddie were twin brothers. Neither was killed in Veitnam, but their brother Leo was.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. I would like to hear from you

Raymond "Butch" Menendez

Elkins, West Virginia
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Hi Butch, long time no see.
Louis Alvarez

Ravenna, Ohio

Post by Louis Alvarez »

Bradley, Do you live in Ravenna? I did for 10 years. I taght at the High School and was Principal of Brown JHS for 3 years prior to coming to California in 1968.
I am also from Spelter. My Uncle Joe owned and ran the store. My Grandparents, the Ramon Cuetos, lived there for many years. I was brought up in Donora and spent many summers with Wela and Welo.
Lou Alvarez
janice Schoffman

Re: Clarksburg, WV Menendez family

Post by janice Schoffman »

Brad:
My name is JaniceAnn Schoffman. Your Dad called me Sissy. You also have an Aunt Mary Ann. Dave owns a bar in Brimfield, Ohio at the corner of RTs 18 and 43. It is called Sulley's. He's under the weather these days but if you call there he would be tickled to meet you I'm sure. Your Cousin Sue who was also raised by memaw in Cooks Holler would be able to fill you in on that side of the family. If Dave doesn't have her number I'll get it for you. She has remarried so I don't know her last name.
JA Schoffman.
lmenendez

menendez

Post by lmenendez »

I can offer some info, my great aunt was pepa and my grandfather was alfonso, both were brothers and sisters. I can tell u more

[Art: Quité el correo. No se permite correos en el foro. Se puede comunicar usando el botón que dice "email".
-------------
Art: I deleted the email. Emails are not allowed on the forum. You can use the button that says, "email."]
Bethwallace

Hi Bradley

Post by Bethwallace »

I am Beth Wallace, Pepa Wilson (your great aunt) is my grandmother. Her birth name was Josefina Menendez...later changed to Josephine. She married my grandfather Harold Wilson, and they lived in Tallmadge OH together until she passed away in july of 2008.

My grandfather, who was married to my grandma..it would have been 65 years this year, can tell you anything about your family you would like to know. I remember you well when you were a little boy. We used to have family reunions at my grandparents house in Tallmadge...you rolled around in the flower bed one time and got in big trouble! I also remember your sister well.

Please feel free to contact me and i can give you any background info you may want.
thanks
Beth
Cathy Langhoff

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

Leo, Pepa, and Alfonso were all children of Joe (Pepes) Menendez and Mary Gutierez. Joe (Pepes) Menendez was my grandfather's brother - John Sabino Menendez! When my grandparents moved to New Orleans they lost contact of many relatives. My grandfather died in 1965 so there was little incentive to keep in touch. My mother Joan was an only child and lives in Newport News, Virginia.

I would love to hear from Pepes grandchildren and others. I just made contact with Harold over the weekend. He promises more info. I can't wait.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cathy,
Take a look in the photo album under "Recent Family & Social Photos." In the second photo in the top row, look for the Menendez photo. From left to right, they are: Louis, Joe, Frank; they are cousins. All three of them are from Spelter (Ziesing). I think this is the family you are looking for. Louis lives very close to me. Joe and Frank (brothers) still live in Spelter. One thing I remember about Leo was his artificial leg. Funny the things that stick with you from your childhood.
Cathy Langhoff

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

Ron,
Is this Louis the son of Jose Menendez and Mary Gutierez? If so, he is certainly "my" Louis. (Remember Jose is my grandfather's brother.) Where do Joe and Frank come in?

Do you know if anyone's posted this genealogy anywhere? Personal web page, Ancestry, etc?
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cathy,
Let me know how your conversation with your family turns out.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”