This and That About Previous Posts

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Anita Menendez

This and That About Previous Posts

Post by Anita Menendez »

First and foremost, I would like to thank Bob Martinez for helping me contact my family in Spain.

Cris looking for Gutierrez I believe there is a mistake somewhere because his information does not seem to be correct with lack of contact. I visited Spain and once met Milagros and her mother. There was no Cris in that family, also the Gutierrez family do keep in contact with these relatives on a regular basis.

La Meruca was Concencion (spelled phonetically) I knew this family very well as La Meruca was the midwife who brought me into the world. We in Spelter/Ziesing designated male and female as la Meruca and el Meruco. La Mecha was Maria Gutierrez Menendez (no relation). Her husband was known as El Mecho, Joe Sabino Menendez.

For Bob Martinez Vituron and Sena lived across the street from my parents' home in Spelter prior to my birth. I grew up with a constant warning of choking on fruit seeds.

Spelter Families There were two Cueto families in Spelter. They are not related and there are few relatives remaining.

Inquiry for Diaz I found a letter which Concha "La Inglisa" wrote to me from her home in Philadelphia when she learned about the passing of my mother in 1982. I would be glad to forward it to family members if they wish. Concha's sister was Pura and lived in Donora, Pennsylvania.

Nicknames I have a list of nicknames of Spaniards I have known through my parents. Will post at a later date.

All About Me My name is Anita Menendez and I am 75 years of age. I am obviously not of the computer generation, so I offer this first post through my great-nephew. :)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Anita, welcome to the forum.

Fort those who may not know the story, my Tia Gloria, born in Spelter, choked to death on a plum pit at the age of three. The town doctor (Dr. Lynch) was away, the Heimlich maneuver did not exist, and my grandparents took her to Clarksburg for help, but - of course, given that the trolley was the only mode of transportation - she died on the way.

My father and his brothers witnessed Gloria's death, and even at age 90 my father still became very emotional when talking about it. For years, he sent money to people in Spelter to take care of the grave, but he finally outlived them all. Two years ago, my friend Ron Gonzalez took over the grave-keeping duties, which was a source of enormous comfort to my father.

Yes, Anita, please do post the information about nicknames and, if you know the reasons behind the nicknames, that too. I'm especially curious about Meruco/Meruca (lombriz de tierra or earthworm).
Last edited by Bob on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Anita! Anita has been a member for years, so it's a big deal that she's posted a message.

In order for people to know that you have responded to their earlier messages, you should post each individual comment in the same topic as the original message. That will cause an email to be sent to them to let them know that you have add to the topic.

---------------------------

¡Bienvenida, Anita! Anita ha sido un miembro hace años, así que es un gran acontecimiento que ha escrito un mensaje.

A fin de que las otras personas sepan que has respondido a sus mensajes anteriores, debes pegar cada comentario en el mismo tema del mensaje original. Eso causará que un mensaje de correo electrónico se les envía para darles noticias de que has añadido al tema.
lgarcia

To Anita Menendez re: Connie Garcia

Post by lgarcia »

Ms. Menendez,

My name is Linda Garcia. I grew-up in Clarksburg (Broadway area). My mother, Connie Garcia, says that she worked with an Anita Menendez for several years at Union Bank. Did you work at Union Bank? If yes - do you remember my parents - Dick and Connie Garcia?

Are you the person working to develop the Spelter museum?

Linda Garcia
(graduate of Roosevelt Wilson High School and
West Virginia University - currently resident of Gainesville, Florida)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yes, I believe that is the same Anita Menendez. Anita has recently sent me some very interesting scans of family photos and a bit of history on the cigar factory her uncle owned in Anmoore.
Louis Alvarez

Post by Louis Alvarez »

Anita,
There are a few descendants of the Ramon Cueto family still around. I am also related to Joe Alvarez, my Dad, Andres , was his baby brother. My Mother was Marina Cueto.
My immediate family consists of my daughter, Mary, and her three daughters, my son, Tim and his three daughters. My sister,Sylvia, aka as Nina, has a son and a daughter.
My Uncle Charlie is still alive and well at 89 and his daughter, Marguerite, has two sons.
My Uncle Joe's family is extensive and living in MD, Uncle Herman's family is in NJ. Mecco's son, Tom, lives in WVA. And I live in CA.
Lou Alvarez
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Louis, I remember your mom and dad. I've sat at their kitchen table at Spelter many times. Mecco and my dad worked together for many of years. I remember that my dad would call Mecco on the phone to wake him up for the morning shift. Still sometimes Mecco would go back to bed and be a little late for work. He was an OK guy.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”